Interview Question

Quantitative Researcher InterviewNew York, NY

Citadel

Given log X ~ N(0,1). Compute the expectation of X.

AnswerAdd Tags

Interview Answers

13 Answers

exp(mu + (sigma^2)/2) = exp(0+1/2) = exp(1/2)

mojo on

Expanding on the correct answers above: E[X] = E[exp(logX)], and logX is normally distributed. So: E[X} is the moment-generating-function (mgf) of a standard normal distribution, evaluated at 1. The mgf of a normal distribution with mean mu, SD sigma is exp(mu*t + (1/2) * sigma^2 * t^2), now set mu = 0, sigma = 1, t = 1 to get exp(1/2).

CG on

Complete the square in the integral

interviewee on

When a log of a random variable X is normal, then the X itself is [log-normal](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log-normal_distribution), right? So if we assume Z = log(X), with mean \miu and standard deviation \sigma (Z ~ N(\miu, \sigma), X can be defined as exp(\miu + \sigma Z). Based on the properties of log-normal distribution, expected value of X would be E[X] = exp(\miu + 0.5*\sigma^2) = exp(0 + 1/2) = exp(1/2).

Peyman on

Suppose the density function of Y is P(y) and the one for X is F(x), it obeys that P(y)*dy = F(x)*dx; then the expectation of X is E(x) = Integral( x*F(x)*dx ) = Integral( Exp(y) * P(y) * dy ); if you plug the gaussian function and standard deviation in, you will find E(x) = Integral( Exp(1/2) * P(y-1/2)*d(y-1/2) ) = Exp(1/2) So, mojo's ans is correct.

Anonymous on

I m not that sure, as I got E(x) = 4 I substituted log X = y e^y = X ;and e^2y = t and plz do not forget to change the integration limits

P(logX P(X

Marcus on

Sorry misread the problem. ignore.

Marcus on

X has a log-normal distribution, so yes the mean is exp(mu+sigma^2/2)=exp(1/2)

Anonymous on

Do they care if you explain the theory or not? I just looked at it, it's standard normal, therefore x=50%

LS on

Let Y = log(X), then X = exp(Y) = r(Y), if we call the pdf of X f(X), then E[X] = integral(Xf(X)dX). By variable transformation, f(x) = g(r^-1(X))r^-1(X))', plug this into E[X] = integral(Xf(X)dX), we get integral( f(y)dy ), which equals to 1

1 on

This is a basic probability question.

Exp[1/4]

Anonymous on

One or more comments have been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.