Glassdoor Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Senior Software Engineer

Glassdoor Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Glassdoor

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied through Glassdoor. Quickly got contacted by a helpful recruiter. Recruiter phone screen, then live coding exercise with an engineer, then an on-site. Onsite consisted of 5 interviews with various people (VP, Dir engineering, other engineers, product managers). Mixture of coding, system design and regular resume/experience questions.

Very easy to deal with, helpful recruiter and enjoyable onsite. Questions were harder than some companies, but the interviewers were collaborative and helpful.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Glassdoor

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Interview Process was smooth and positive, Every one starting from the recruiter to the entire team was super welcoming, friendly and professional. The interview process comprises of basic recruiter call, two technical phone screens and final onsite interview.
    Phone screens were with Engineering manager and Director of Engineering.

Interview Questions

• 1. Phone Screen 1
      Interesting project
      Salary expectations
      Inner join and outer join
      Lowest common ancestor in BT

2. Phone Screen 2
      Why Glassdoor
      BT serialization and deserialization

Onsite:
      Interview 1 : It was skype interview, Interviewer was in SF branch.
      Questions:
      Design ticket reservation system
      Find sum of all left roots in a BT
      Excel sheet label creator

Interview 2 : With Engineering Manager
      Find whether two Strings are anagrams
      Find all anagrams of given string

Interview 3
      Resume and projects
      Find max sum of consecutive sub array
      Given a 2d matrix find the kth largest element
      Implement min heap.
      Thread and synchronization

Interview 4
      Expression evaluator
      Given three Strings as input like "a+b = 9" "b+c = 2" "c = 6", find the values of all variables
      SQL questions.

Interview5 :Product manager
      How is your relationship with PM?
      How do you communicate?
      Any conflicts?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process started out moving rapidly, but I was disappointed that they dropped the ball at the end.

I applied online and got a Glassdoor recruiter email a few days later. Phone call with the recruiter was not really technical other than asking my basic background, areas of interest, self-rating of skills on a 1-10 scale, ie Java, SQL. Lasted only about 20 minutes. Later that day he followed up with an email scheduling a phone interview with a Senior Director of Engineering for the next day.

The Sr. Dir. of Engineering interview was pleasant - explained the org, asked about my recent work (not a "deep dive"), and posed a tech problem over a shared editor (For a system given a large array of words ahead of time, write a function that takes a two character set and returns the set of words that contain both characters). Within a day I received email to schedule the onsite interview, which happened about a week later.

The onsite was with... a Director of Product Management, a Director of Software Engineering, an Engineering Manager, and two Senior Software Engineers. The PM explained the engineering organization, and the functions of the two different team positions under consideration (the other interviewers were split between the two teams - manager and engineer from each).

I enjoyed these interviews more than I thought. Though they all involved whiteboarding problems, the folks were smart and engaging, and I was less stressed than I thought I'd be.

However, after I gave Glassdoor about 6 hours of my time, plus prep, I received no response after the onsite, until nearly a week later after I sent two emails to the recruiter about status. I've been on the hiring side before and that's unacceptable to me, especially for a company like Glassdoor that touts transparency in hiring. Although I wasn't offered the job, I'd expect that the team got together to debrief on the interview within a day of me being there, and should have told the recruiter the result, and the recruiter should have notified me. If they weren't making an offer, I should have been notified immediately. If they still had other folks in the interview pipeline and weren't ready to make a decision, a simple email to that effect, and that they'd make a decision in X days/weeks would have been OK too.

In summary, the actual applying & interviewing process was great, but I rate the overall experience negative because that was my feeling at the end waiting for any notice of status/decision.

Interview Questions

• For a system given a large array of words ahead of time, write a function that takes a two character set and returns the set of words that contain both characters.   Answer Question
    • Given two arrays, return the elements in one array that aren't in the other.   Answer Question
    • Write functions for a system to receive a stream of numbers, and have functions that can quickly give the sum, average and median of the stream at that point in time. The tricky part of this was the median.   Answer Question
    • Various SQL questions, given a simple schema, write queries for questions that needed joins, outer joins, grouping, having, correlated subquery.   Answer Question
    • A couple of questions involving implementing caching in a service for recently/frequently requested data.   Answer Question

Glassdoor Response

Aug 30, 2017 – SVP Engineering, CTO

I’m sorry to see that you had a frustrating experience. Our team tries to be as transparent as possible around our hiring decisions. I will link up with the engineering hiring managers and recruiters... More

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Glassdoor (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Very well organized interview process. The recruiter, from the beginning, organized all the rounds neatly with enough information on the schedule. Responses to in-between questions were quick.
    I was supposed to have two preliminary phone screening, but based on my first interview, they waived off the second round and asked me to come onsite directly. Onsite interviews very well organized - 4 rounds with each round focusing on a specific aspect of engineering - problem solving and algo; experience, projects, accomplishments and their application to the current job, system design, and additional problem solving with behavioral interview. VP personally met to discuss about what they are looking for in a candidate and what their long term goals are. CTO of the company sent a kind welcome email.

Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA).

Interview

1 HR interview, 2 Technical Phone Interview. After that you will be called for onsite interview in mill valley office. 5 technical rounds(including one with product manger or director). Those are fun.
    Interview process was really fast. Fastest than any other tech company.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were normal, as you will expect in any other tech company. Be prepared for Multithreading questions, Caching, some UI questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Sausalito, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

I had 2 phone screen interviews prior to the on-site interview. The phone screen interviews were about general CS principles. The on-site interview was half day long. I had several interviews without lunch break. Not too much whiteboard coding but there were several coding questions.

Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

Interview process was very smooth and efficient. The recruiter was very helpful, transparent, and responsive. Hiring Manager and team were welcoming during onsite.
    Interview Process included:
    1. Hr call
    2. Technical Phone screen with lead engineer
    3. Technical/Cultural Phone screen with Hiring Manager
    4. Onsite: 6 rounds of technical, cultural and design questions.

Interview Questions

• Algorithms, DS, System Design ( Search indexing , Waze app, Projects .   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Sausalito, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

Process consisted from phone interview and series of 1:1 interviews (about 5). It took 10 days from first contact till offer. People were friendly and were treating me as an expected guest :-) The office is located in 2 minutes from waterfront which is nice if you like to meditate on shore. Make sure you know something about their product and business before going to interview. That would be considered as a bonus.

Interview Questions

• Describe you last project's architecture. Why did you chose this instead of this?   1 Answer
    • What benefits and risks will we incur if we add forum to our product?   1 Answer
    • What this piece javascript does (7 lines)? What about this one (1 page)?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was satisfied with offered salary and medical coverage. It was good to know that i will get 401k. Negotiation was about options amount. It is good if you can calculate your percentage fast and estimate what you share would be in case of 1 billion (for instance) dollar company's valuation with adjustment for possible dilution. I didn't, so i had to get back to negotiations after initially saying "ok", which was embarrassing. But as a result i was able to increase stock option amount about 1.5 times!

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor in February 2013.

Interview

I had one phone interview for about 45 mins. The interviewer asked various questions ondata structures.
    Then they invited me for a face to face interview. The interview lasted for 5 hours with 5 different interviewers. Each of them had some problem solving questions, and also about my current experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did some negotiation, and the hiring manager accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Sausalito, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

I applied for this job online, and several days later, I was contacted by the VP of Engineering to do a phone interview. It lasted about an hour and consisted of general information about the company and the position I was applying for, my background and work experience, and a technical conversation. The technical part included questions about stack implementation, dependency injection, mvc, design patterns and others. It was more technical than I thought it would be (usually phone interviews are not very techinical). Overall, the first interview went at a good pace, not too slowly and was not too intimidating. After the conversation, I felt like this position was a great fit for me.

Shortly after the phone interview, I was invited to an on-site interview. The on-site interview somewhat resembled the famous "Guerrilla Guide to Interviewing" from Joel on Software, but probably not as intense. It consisted of 4 technical one-on-one interviews. I interviewed with a Sr. Web Developer, Sr. Java Developer, CEO (also technical) and the VP of Engineering. Technical questions ranged from deciphering a couple pages of javascript code (front-end), questions about different SQL joins, Hibernate, performance and scalability (back-end), search and fault-tolerance algorithms (CEO), and overall system architecture and technology stack (VP). Each interviewer did a good job at balancing the technical part with personality questions, hobbies, interests and etc.

It was a long day, but everyone was so nice and friendly that I actually enjoyed interviewing. They made me feel very comfortable and gave me plenty of breaks, so it felt more like a professional discussion as opposed to technical interrogation. The CEO took the time to give me a good understanding of the company and where it was headed, which I really appreciated knowing how busy he must've been.

I went home with a good feeling about the team, company and how the interview went. A few days later, I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Implement a stack. Explain different types of SQL Joins. Write a method to test for a palindrome. Write a method that efficiently compares 2 very large datasets   Answer Question

Negotiation

During the on-site interview, I was asked about my salary expectations. When I received an offer, they matched my salary requirements which was great, but did not offer many stock options. So I sacrificed some salary for additional stock options (which is a good idea if you are working for a startup and believe in what they are doing). The negotiations took less than a day and I was happy to accept the final offer.