Glassdoor Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017

2.9

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process started out moving rapidly, but I was disappointed that they dropped the ball at the end.

I applied online and got a Glassdoor recruiter email a few days later. Phone call with the recruiter was not really technical other than asking my basic background, areas of interest, self-rating of skills on a 1-10 scale, ie Java, SQL. Lasted only about 20 minutes. Later that day he followed up with an email scheduling a phone interview with a Senior Director of Engineering for the next day.

The Sr. Dir. of Engineering interview was pleasant - explained the org, asked about my recent work (not a "deep dive"), and posed a tech problem over a shared editor (For a system given a large array of words ahead of time, write a function that takes a two character set and returns the set of words that contain both characters). Within a day I received email to schedule the onsite interview, which happened about a week later.

The onsite was with... a Director of Product Management, a Director of Software Engineering, an Engineering Manager, and two Senior Software Engineers. The PM explained the engineering organization, and the functions of the two different team positions under consideration (the other interviewers were split between the two teams - manager and engineer from each).

I enjoyed these interviews more than I thought. Though they all involved whiteboarding problems, the folks were smart and engaging, and I was less stressed than I thought I'd be.

However, after I gave Glassdoor about 6 hours of my time, plus prep, I received no response after the onsite, until nearly a week later after I sent two emails to the recruiter about status. I've been on the hiring side before and that's unacceptable to me, especially for a company like Glassdoor that touts transparency in hiring. Although I wasn't offered the job, I'd expect that the team got together to debrief on the interview within a day of me being there, and should have told the recruiter the result, and the recruiter should have notified me. If they weren't making an offer, I should have been notified immediately. If they still had other folks in the interview pipeline and weren't ready to make a decision, a simple email to that effect, and that they'd make a decision in X days/weeks would have been OK too.

In summary, the actual applying & interviewing process was great, but I rate the overall experience negative because that was my feeling at the end waiting for any notice of status/decision.

Interview Questions

• For a system given a large array of words ahead of time, write a function that takes a two character set and returns the set of words that contain both characters.   Answer Question
  • Given two arrays, return the elements in one array that aren't in the other.   Answer Question
  • Write functions for a system to receive a stream of numbers, and have functions that can quickly give the sum, average and median of the stream at that point in time. The tricky part of this was the median.   Answer Question
  • Various SQL questions, given a simple schema, write queries for questions that needed joins, outer joins, grouping, having, correlated subquery.   Answer Question
  • A couple of questions involving implementing caching in a service for recently/frequently requested data.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Glassdoor

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Interview Process was smooth and positive, Every one starting from the recruiter to the entire team was super welcoming, friendly and professional. The interview process comprises of basic recruiter call, two technical phone screens and final onsite interview.
    Phone screens were with Engineering manager and Director of Engineering.

Interview Questions

• 1. Phone Screen 1
      Interesting project
      Salary expectations
      Inner join and outer join
      Lowest common ancestor in BT

2. Phone Screen 2
      Why Glassdoor
      BT serialization and deserialization

Onsite:
      Interview 1 : It was skype interview, Interviewer was in SF branch.
      Questions:
      Design ticket reservation system
      Find sum of all left roots in a BT
      Excel sheet label creator

Interview 2 : With Engineering Manager
      Find whether two Strings are anagrams
      Find all anagrams of given string

Interview 3
      Resume and projects
      Find max sum of consecutive sub array
      Given a 2d matrix find the kth largest element
      Implement min heap.
      Thread and synchronization

Interview 4
      Expression evaluator
      Given three Strings as input like "a+b = 9" "b+c = 2" "c = 6", find the values of all variables
      SQL questions.

Interview5 :Product manager
      How is your relationship with PM?
      How do you communicate?
      Any conflicts?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Glassdoor (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Very well organized interview process. The recruiter, from the beginning, organized all the rounds neatly with enough information on the schedule. Responses to in-between questions were quick.
    I was supposed to have two preliminary phone screening, but based on my first interview, they waived off the second round and asked me to come onsite directly. Onsite interviews very well organized - 4 rounds with each round focusing on a specific aspect of engineering - problem solving and algo; experience, projects, accomplishments and their application to the current job, system design, and additional problem solving with behavioral interview. VP personally met to discuss about what they are looking for in a candidate and what their long term goals are. CTO of the company sent a kind welcome email.

Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA).

Interview

1 HR interview, 2 Technical Phone Interview. After that you will be called for onsite interview in mill valley office. 5 technical rounds(including one with product manger or director). Those are fun.
    Interview process was really fast. Fastest than any other tech company.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were normal, as you will expect in any other tech company. Be prepared for Multithreading questions, Caching, some UI questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Glassdoor (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with the Director of Engineer as many people here have mentioned. Theory based questions about Java Inheritance, Composition, Some spring questions, HashTable collisions etc. The interviewer was a decent person but asking a senior person these kinda questions just tells us about how bad your interview process is and why your interview rating is so low. She got hung on some part of spring composition and I didnt understand that but kept asking about it. Then began the madness of a technical screening without actually having a shared editor. It makes no sense describing code over the phone. Are they that stupid?
    Also the technical questions were too simple and I am not sure what they are trying to gauge here.

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you find all the words from list of words for a given single character. You can preprocess the strings and memory is not an issue.
      A: I immediately started thinking of tries but since this was a character it couldnt work. The interviewer wasnt working with me. She asked to get a brute force first. I was like okay and gave here the brute force. Then I asked her if the strings were ascii. SHe said sure. So I just used a hashmap of all 26 characters with each key having all the words associated with it. I said this is O(n) to process but later retrievals will be 0(1) since memory wasnt a issue. She said ya this is the best one can do.

Q: String to int (Really??)
      A: Typical conversion using char - '0' and then using a multiplier while iterating. This was so hard to explain given I was trying to repeat the code I had written. It was so stupid I couldnt believe what I was doing. She was silent and then said how would you test it. I gave her all the test scenarios I could think of. Again silence.

Finally we finished early and she was like do you have any questions. I asked a bunch but she wasnt in the mood to answer so I was like okay thanks for your time. Two later typical email "Impressed with your background..blah blah" reject. This was my first interview as a practice for other bigger companies so I am not complaining and would have never moved forward but this was pretty laughable. The interview process does smell of a low funded startup who have no clue what they are doing especially based on the questions I asked and the replies I got. No answer to what future products might look like. No answer to why not move from spring to something else. No answer to how do you monetize your users. Really disappointed by the company and dont see how long can they stay this way. There is a reason no one is excited about glassdoor and their rating justifies it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Glassdoor (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

HR called quickly for a Phone Screen, which was straight forward and went well.
    The Technical Interview consisted of a couple of unconventional questions that were not typical questions one would expect for the specific position applied for.
    Although all questions were answered correctly, there was no follow-up email from the company (i.e.
    no email telling me why I was not selected).

Interview Questions

• How would you determine the scroll speed on a ListView?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Glassdoor in December 2014.

Interview

I had two rounds of phone interviews. The first round, the interviewer was well-prepared, although the screening questions she asked were a bit odd.

The second round, the interviewer seemed rushed and was ill-prepared. There was no introduction (I didn't even know what he did at the company until I asked him at the end of the interview; yes, I had to ask him) and he didn't seem interested at all in my background. He asked a few SQL questions and a multithreaded question. The problem was he didn't understand much about multithreading. I gave a simple answer using synchronization and a counter, but he was surprisingly confused. Digging deeper it became clear that he had some canned question/answer and was looking for a solution that used wait() and notify() instead of sleep(), even though his solution wouldn't work.

One of the really strange issues was describing coding questions over the phone rather than using something like collabedit. I finished the interviews quickly and did very well, but they got back to me saying that while they were impressed, they were "moving forward with a select few candidates whose backgrounds are more closely aligned with our current needs". Overall, I can't help but wonder if I was simply used as interview training for their employees. The entire process took 3 days though, so I have to at least commend them for being so quick about it.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions themselves were rather odd. One was "what are the different scopes in Spring". Testing my ability to spout little-known facts isn't helpful to the process. A much better question would have been "what is Spring and why is it useful?" A solid engineer would be able to answer the second question, while anyone that can answer the first is simply good at memorizing things.

There were more unhelpful questions like:

"is Java pass-by-reference or pass-by-value"?
      "what's the difference between String and StringBuilder"?

These are easy, but give very little insight into whether I'm a good engineer, which *should* be the goal of the interview.   1 Answer
    • The SQL questions were a fairly standard "design a table, give me the SQL queries to do X, Y, and Z". I made sure the table design was 3NF (although I'm not sure he caught that). Then he asked me to do a simple SELECT/JOIN query, and then another that was more complicated.

The multithreading question was detailing a solution for "put" and "fetch" methods for a BlockingQueue. The methods had to maintain the order of the threads attempting the operations.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Sausalito, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process was a great experience. It instantly shows the company culture and energy level of everyone you're going to be working with. After two initial technical phone screens I was invited on-site. It was a 4 hour interview with multiple technical interviewers and managers. Every interviewer I talked to was respectful and positive.

Interview Questions

• It was a technical question that required advanced knowledge of algorithms and data structures. I figured it out and was very proud of myself.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Glassdoor (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

phone screen and then an onsite interview. I really liked the coffee and the front desk...

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor.

Interview

Two rounds of phone interviews then on site.
    One site questions include: implement hash table, how to implement load balancer, how to design features using existing data and how to implement a Resource pool. Unable to write good code for the Resource pool on site.