Glassdoor Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Senior Software Engineer

Glassdoor Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Glassdoor

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Glassdoor (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Test followed by a screening and onsite in HQ. Worked with a great HR and she was helpful throughout the process. Overall it was an average experience and too many onsite rounds.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Glassdoor

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor in January 2020.

Interview

Karat interview and then call for onsite. Onsite interview never materialized as they deliberately kept postponing . Then they converted onsite interview to virtual interview and then 2 days before the interview sent a mail that position was filled. Meaning all along they were waiting someone to accept the offer while wasting other candidates time. Would not consider this company again.

Learning's from this: Ask the recruiter how many other candidates they are interviewing and get to know the stage they are in. (What applies to candidates holds good for companies as well). This is one interview where I wish I had failed in phone screening itself !

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2019.

Interview

Recruiter found my profile in Linked in and I was a very good match for it. Good discussion with recruiter.
    Then asked to complete a task , it involved a problem related to multi-thread. Did that program.
    Then there was technical round which involves - questioning on Java and online coding challenge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (San Francisco, CA) in April 2019.

Interview

Recruiter screen followed by phone interview and onsite. They focus on culture fit a lot and be prepared to answer of lot of questions related to that. Onsite was 2 coding and 3 behavior rounds. The weird part was the hiring manager kept asking me names of previous managers along with when I worked with them. Even though I was uncomfortable sharing that information, he kept on pushing me to disclose that.

Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

Interview process was very smooth and efficient. The recruiter was very helpful, transparent, and responsive. Hiring Manager and team were welcoming during onsite.
    Interview Process included:
    1. Hr call
    2. Technical Phone screen with lead engineer
    3. Technical/Cultural Phone screen with Hiring Manager
    4. Onsite: 6 rounds of technical, cultural and design questions.

Interview Questions

• Algorithms, DS, System Design ( Search indexing , Waze app, Projects .   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied through Glassdoor. Quickly got contacted by a helpful recruiter. Recruiter phone screen, then live coding exercise with an engineer, then an on-site. Onsite consisted of 5 interviews with various people (VP, Dir engineering, other engineers, product managers). Mixture of coding, system design and regular resume/experience questions.

Very easy to deal with, helpful recruiter and enjoyable onsite. Questions were harder than some companies, but the interviewers were collaborative and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Flatten a map of nested maps to a single level map.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process started out moving rapidly, but I was disappointed that they dropped the ball at the end.

I applied online and got a Glassdoor recruiter email a few days later. Phone call with the recruiter was not really technical other than asking my basic background, areas of interest, self-rating of skills on a 1-10 scale, ie Java, SQL. Lasted only about 20 minutes. Later that day he followed up with an email scheduling a phone interview with a Senior Director of Engineering for the next day.

The Sr. Dir. of Engineering interview was pleasant - explained the org, asked about my recent work (not a "deep dive"), and posed a tech problem over a shared editor (For a system given a large array of words ahead of time, write a function that takes a two character set and returns the set of words that contain both characters). Within a day I received email to schedule the onsite interview, which happened about a week later.

The onsite was with... a Director of Product Management, a Director of Software Engineering, an Engineering Manager, and two Senior Software Engineers. The PM explained the engineering organization, and the functions of the two different team positions under consideration (the other interviewers were split between the two teams - manager and engineer from each).

I enjoyed these interviews more than I thought. Though they all involved whiteboarding problems, the folks were smart and engaging, and I was less stressed than I thought I'd be.

However, after I gave Glassdoor about 6 hours of my time, plus prep, I received no response after the onsite, until nearly a week later after I sent two emails to the recruiter about status. I've been on the hiring side before and that's unacceptable to me, especially for a company like Glassdoor that touts transparency in hiring. Although I wasn't offered the job, I'd expect that the team got together to debrief on the interview within a day of me being there, and should have told the recruiter the result, and the recruiter should have notified me. If they weren't making an offer, I should have been notified immediately. If they still had other folks in the interview pipeline and weren't ready to make a decision, a simple email to that effect, and that they'd make a decision in X days/weeks would have been OK too.

In summary, the actual applying & interviewing process was great, but I rate the overall experience negative because that was my feeling at the end waiting for any notice of status/decision.

Interview Questions

• For a system given a large array of words ahead of time, write a function that takes a two character set and returns the set of words that contain both characters.   Answer Question
    • Given two arrays, return the elements in one array that aren't in the other.   Answer Question
    • Write functions for a system to receive a stream of numbers, and have functions that can quickly give the sum, average and median of the stream at that point in time. The tricky part of this was the median.   Answer Question
    • Various SQL questions, given a simple schema, write queries for questions that needed joins, outer joins, grouping, having, correlated subquery.   Answer Question
    • A couple of questions involving implementing caching in a service for recently/frequently requested data.   Answer Question

Glassdoor Response

Aug 30, 2017 – SVP Engineering, CTO

I’m sorry to see that you had a frustrating experience. Our team tries to be as transparent as possible around our hiring decisions. I will link up with the engineering hiring managers and recruiters to ensure we're being more responsive with our candidates. I appreciate you coming in and interviewing with us.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Interview Process was smooth and positive, Every one starting from the recruiter to the entire team was super welcoming, friendly and professional. The interview process comprises of basic recruiter call, two technical phone screens and final onsite interview.
    Phone screens were with Engineering manager and Director of Engineering.

Interview Questions

• 1. Phone Screen 1
      Interesting project
      Salary expectations
      Inner join and outer join
      Lowest common ancestor in BT

2. Phone Screen 2
      Why Glassdoor
      BT serialization and deserialization

Onsite:
      Interview 1 : It was skype interview, Interviewer was in SF branch.
      Questions:
      Design ticket reservation system
      Find sum of all left roots in a BT
      Excel sheet label creator

Interview 2 : With Engineering Manager
      Find whether two Strings are anagrams
      Find all anagrams of given string

Interview 3
      Resume and projects
      Find max sum of consecutive sub array
      Given a 2d matrix find the kth largest element
      Implement min heap.
      Thread and synchronization

Interview 4
      Expression evaluator
      Given three Strings as input like "a+b = 9" "b+c = 2" "c = 6", find the values of all variables
      SQL questions.

Interview5 :Product manager
      How is your relationship with PM?
      How do you communicate?
      Any conflicts?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Glassdoor (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Very well organized interview process. The recruiter, from the beginning, organized all the rounds neatly with enough information on the schedule. Responses to in-between questions were quick.
    I was supposed to have two preliminary phone screening, but based on my first interview, they waived off the second round and asked me to come onsite directly. Onsite interviews very well organized - 4 rounds with each round focusing on a specific aspect of engineering - problem solving and algo; experience, projects, accomplishments and their application to the current job, system design, and additional problem solving with behavioral interview. VP personally met to discuss about what they are looking for in a candidate and what their long term goals are. CTO of the company sent a kind welcome email.

Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Glassdoor (Mill Valley, CA).

Interview

1 HR interview, 2 Technical Phone Interview. After that you will be called for onsite interview in mill valley office. 5 technical rounds(including one with product manger or director). Those are fun.
    Interview process was really fast. Fastest than any other tech company.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were normal, as you will expect in any other tech company. Be prepared for Multithreading questions, Caching, some UI questions.   1 Answer