GlaxoSmithKline Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

GlaxoSmithKline Director Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2017

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Research Triangle Park, NC) in June 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview with HR, then another phone interview with the hiring manager, then was invited to the RTP campus for an on-site interview with a panel of 4 directors/senior directors. No presentation was required.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with workplace conflict?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for GlaxoSmithKline

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Phila, PA) in May 2016.

Interview

Standard interview process started with the HR phone screen progressing to a telephone interview with two senior scientists within the Team and hiring manager/group leader. The next step was an onsite presentation (focusing on my methodological skills and breadth of projects I managed) and additional interviews with team members and senior staff. After the onsite interviews and presentation I was asked to interview with two additional individuals and prepare another presentation focusing on my experience with the therapeutic area of interest. These individuals would be stakeholders I'd be collaborating with.

The onsite interviews went smoothly and I enjoyed meeting my prospective colleagues. I prepared a presentation that would address the objectives specified by the hiring manager. The presentation could not go into specific details due to the proprietary nature of the work. My understanding was that the hiring manager wanted to see the types of methods I used and rationale for using the methods to address different business and scientific objectives. The presentation was limited to 15-20 minutes. It was my understanding that the second presentation was to highlight my research work within the specific disease area and should be 15 minutes in length and to allow for 15 minutes of Q and A. However, the last interview was not conducted in this fashion. One of the interviewers lead and set the agenda and tone of the meeting. It was to start with brief introductions, and for me to go through my work experience from the beginning to my current position. This would be followed by my 15 minute presentation and Q and A. This immediately concerned me because this was not what was communicated to me and the meeting was only scheduled for 30 minutes.

After setting the revised agenda, each interviewer described their background and current role at the company. The "lead" interviewer spent about 10 minutes describing his role and how he works with the group. After more than 10 minutes into the interview (setting agenda/expectations and introductions), I started describing my experience and was immediately interrupted while discussing my first job and asked not to describe the project. The interviewer spend 5 minutes discussing what he wanted to hear. Mind you, my first job was managing a 6 million dollar research study so it was important to discuss my role and objectives of the project. Regardless, I adjusted my approach and rushed through nearly 20 years of work. The same interviewer proceeded to ask me questions, and interjected his own experiences during my responses. After 45 minutes, 15 minutes beyond the intended time, the interviewer told me they had a hard stop in 5 minutes due to another meeting. To say I was concerned is an understatement - 45 minutes elapsed and I wasn't provided the opportunity to go through the presentation I prepared. The presentation was the pretext given for this additional interview. I offered to go through the presentation at that time and told them it would take 15 minutes, or if they preferred, I can present at another time. The same interviewer stated it wasn't necessary. Throughout the 50 minutes of the interview, the other interview said nothing. Also, the lead interviewer was a few minutes late, and obviously these few minutes were necessary.

In a nutshell, my interview experience was satisfactory until the last encounter. Because I was not privy to the discussion between the hiring manager and the last two interviewers, I have no way of knowing whether the three were on the same page regarding the purpose of the interview. At least, the purpose of the interview as it was communicated to me by the hiring manager and recruiter. The last step of the interview process was misrepresented and mishandled. Prior to this, the feedback I got from the recruiter was very positive, and according to him he had to prod for criticism. I used the feedback when developing the script for my presentation.

I felt comfortable with my performance and flexibility throughout the process. I agreed to four early morning interviews, preparing two presentations and interviewing with two additional interviewers beyond the original group. In the end I was not offered the position and the single reason given was not my technical skills to perform the job nor my personality. The reason I was given was that they were concerned about my ability to be concise with stakeholders.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parsippany, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Parsippany, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

There was no response to my resume via the website. Only when I sent in my resume via an employee referral a recruiter called me and did a short telephonic interview. I never heard back from them again? It would be good for them to have a feedback mechanism in place to present a more professional image for the company.

Interview Questions

• 1. Briefly walk me through your profile.
      2. Why are you interested to apply for this role and what is attractive about GSK?
      3. What are your career aspirations?
      4. Briefly describe a situation where you had to work across boundaries and explain what you did.
      5. What are your salary expectations?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Research Triangle Park, NC).

Interview

STAR process, job description focused, "what you did". Process is generally slow. Salary negotiations are critical since 1st offer will almost always low ball. Unlikely to get promoted so come in as high as possible.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

simple

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

Good experience. Met with various hiring managers. Great discussions. No pressure. Personality test near end of process. Not that much more to write to achieve your 50 word requirement. Are we there yet?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pleasant negotiation. typical give and take.

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Research Triangle Park, NC) in July 2011.

Interview

Frustrating. Very rarely do you get any information about the job. They have questions that are developed based on psychological tests so most are situational-based. Like "If you were lost in the woods with a toothpick, how would you build a new city". Nothing about the details of the job. It seems that they have lost site of the fact that you are actually interviewing them as well.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time that you had a challenge at work and how did you overcome it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Parsippany, NJ) in May 2010.

Interview

Brought in for 3-4 interviews; Each time meeting with the next layer of HR and/or management. Basic STAR test questions and thorough interview process. Tests involved personality testing, IQ testing and drug testing - all pretty basic stuff. The hiring process was a bit long and drawn out - taking almost 4 months to complete. To be fair this was partially due to the fact that some management were based in the UK and I was interviewing from out of state, making some of the logistics a bit challenging at times.

Interview Questions

• No real unexpected questions - but generally asked if you were faced with a situation in which management didn't agree with a decision you made or point of view that you believe is right - how would you/did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Fairly standard - back and forth a few times to arrive at a salary (I was recruited) -
    Also negotiated a signing bonus which is available if they want you bad enough. The negotiation phase involved relocation, salary and signing bonus. Benefits offered were very good - Stock options (at the time - since done away with), restricted stock (3 year vesting period), pension, full medical, dental and vision, life insurance and 401K - all in all the package offered was very generous and robust.

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in September 2016.

Interview

I had a first round interview with HR. This was a behavioral interview. I received the interview invite a couple of weeks after applying. The HR even graciously postponed the interview by one week on my request. I did not hear of the outcome of the interview for 2 weeks and then wrote to the HR to enquire. Then on the same day I received an automated response that I had not progressed to the next round. Now I have no issues at all with the reject however a large corporation should have a basic courtesy to atleast send a personal email to the interviewee rather than a bland automated response. I don't think it is too much to ask for some basic courtesy when someone has invested time preparing and appearing for the interview. I will not be applying for another role for GSK ever again.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you demonstrated leadership quality   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Behavioural. GSK values. Focus on STAR format. F2f. With hiring manager, HUMAN RESOURCES, stakeholders. Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla. I received an offer however I declined because the offer was not competitive. There were two rounds of negotiation and GSK was unwilling to mover close to my target.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about how you dealt with a difficult ethical question.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in June 2010.

Interview

Contacted by HR for phone interview. A month later had in person interview with 6 people including 2 HR people. Very comfortable process except that most questions were behavior based and oftentimes had difficulty relating examples of past experience directly to the job. Hiring manager didn't seem to be interested in the interview though so I quickly determined he already had his candidate picked out.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to persuade senior management.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to introduce significant change. What did you do and how did you do it?   Answer Question