GlaxoSmithKline Interview Questions | Glassdoor

GlaxoSmithKline Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2017

3.1

R&D Communications Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in March 2017.

Interview

Two phone interviews, both with recruiters. First phone interview was a basic screening. Following this, I was asked to complete a writing test consisting of the following:
    - draft an internal communication announcing the hiring of a senior leader
    - provide a plan for communicating this new hire internally/externally

I was also asked to provide additional relevant writing samples. These materials were due prior to my second phone interview, with another member of their recruitment team.

This second phone interview consisted of behavioral interview questions, along with general questions on my background. Two things to note with this interview - the recruiter was 45 minutes late in calling me, and the recruiter had a difficult time understanding English (I believe she was from South America). The former was frustrating and the latter was extremely challenging, as I had to repeat several of my detailed responses.

One month later I received a form email letting me know they were moving on with other candidates - not a surprise given that last phone interview. The writing test seemed like a waste of time given that I never even spoke with someone from the communications team. Who knows if they ever even saw my work? Perhaps this should be required later in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Some behavioral interview questions - the recruiter did not seem to have a grasp of the role and was following a script.   Answer Question

Investigator Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (London, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Very efficient and STAR based interview. Staff were very welcoming and able to put interviewee at ease. Panel or 1:1 were able to me interviewee at ease with general questions before deep dive knowledge testing / personality testing in scenario based protocols.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a failure and what lessons were learnt?
      Give me an example of a success and what lessons were learnt?
      How do you overcome adversity?   Answer Question

Future Leaders Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Philadelphia, PA) in June 2016.

Interview

I found this position on the GSK website and I filled out an initial online application consisting of 4 short answer style questions (in April), along with a cover letter, resume, and the usual background questions. About a month later I was contacted by a recruiter and we scheduled a ~1 hour phone interview which consisted of 5 or 6 questions I was asked to answer in the STAR format (Situation, Task, Action, Result). At the end of the interview, I was told to expect to hear back either way in 2-3 weeks. Three days later, I received an email asking about a good time to talk. After scheduling that, we had a 15 min phone conversation inviting me to the next/final round of interviews at the Assessment Center in Philadelphia.

The Assessment Center was a 1.5 day group interview process which was probably one of the most difficult, yet engaging interviews I've ever participated in. We were given a packet of information Thursday afternoon (after a program overview presentation) and told to read the packet for the exercises the next day. Following the presentation, all of the candidates (10) were taken out to a group dinner with a few current GSK employees and a current Future Leaders Program participant. The dinner was much more informal, and was a great information gathering and networking opportunity both with the GSK-affiliated folks and the other candidates. After dinner we went back to the hotel and we all went our separate ways to read the packets we had been given. As we were told, these packets were essential for the exercises the next day.

Friday consisted of several group and 1-on-1 exercises, including: a group discussion exercise, product presentation, traditional 1-on-1 interview, a 1-on-1 roleplay exercise, and a crisis management exercise. A very full day! During each of the exercises "Assessor's" were in the background and evaluating our discussions/presentations. The Assessor's did not interact with us during the group exercises. Immediately following the 1-on-1 exercises, prior to returning to the break room, there was the opportunity to speak with different Assessor's about their experience at GSK, the program in general, etc. I'd highly recommend to take advantage of those opportunities. The facilitators did a very nice of job of interspersing breaks, and there is specific time to prepare for each exercise built into the schedule. While it was a very busy, tiring day I didn't feel overwhelmed since we had time before and after each exercise to relax and chat with the other candidates. All-in-all it was a very difficult, but oddly enjoyable experience! Definitely one of the hardest interview processes I've been a part of.

They told us to expect to get a response within 2-3 weeks. At the end of the interview, we were each individually pulled aside and asked if we had any other offers, what those deadlines were, double-checking resumes for accuracy, availability, and expected salary range.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to work with or manage someone you didn't get along with.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time where you had to introduce a new way of doing things   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you failed.   Answer Question

Medical Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)) in March 2012.

Interview

First selection was based on CV. Second selection was based on intelligence and personality tests. Third one , long interview with HR and team lead with bad and good cop approach. Forth selection was with Sales manager where I was supposed to sell remote control to him, very unpleasant experience. And the fifth, dialog with CEO.

Interview Questions

• Where was the last time that you've made mistake?   1 Answer

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Philadelphia, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

Overall, this was one of the most stressful interviews I've been on. Interviewers didn't like that my presentation focused on literature related to my current research and not my current research. Sorry, but I will not violate my CDA. Lunch was also a 3:1 interview. Please, give me a chance to eat and relax.

Future Leaders Program (USA) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Raleigh, NC) in November 2015.

Interview

The future leaders program is not the typical interview process most jobs at GSK will go through. This interview process was explicitly for incoming new hires straight from College for their development programs. It was a 3 step process. The first part was an online application. They asked you several essay format questions about fit and why your background aligns with GSK values. If you get past that, you get a 1 hour behavioral interview with HR member. Star format questions, behavioral type interview about your competencies, experiences, college background etc..If you get past that, you are invited to fly down to headquarters (all expenses paid for including food). This day was called the Assessment center, taking place from 7:30 am to 5. A full day of intense in person group case studies (2 of them, based on a case study), interviews (face to face with an interviewer), individual presentation to a GSK employee based on a case study they provide you, and another 1 on 1 role play activity.. All in all, the experience was intense, it was tough to say the least, but it was a rewarding experience in the end. You met potential new hires into the program, the Early Talent Development HR staff were friendly, the facilities were great, and the process was extremely smooth. Top notch accommodations, and a nice group dinner at night. You can prepare in terms of your interview skills but they give you a case study the day you arrive which you have to read the night prior to the assessment center so there isn't really a way to prepare. You just have to be confident and believe in yourself. The experience was like clock-work, there was no time lapse, no free time besides the usual lunch breaks and snack breaks. Tough process, but worth it. If you can get past the assessment center, you are given an offer!

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you were forced to change your thinking for the betterment of your organization?   Answer Question

Esprit Commercial MBA Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Shanghai, Shanghai (China)) in November 2015.

Interview

Lengthy and vigorous process. 1st round includes personality and aptitude test; 2nd round includes phone interview with HR and essay writing on motivations joining the company; selected candidates were flown to Shanghai for a one day assessment that includes group case discussion, proposal planning, individual presentation, role play, and 1:1 interview

Interview Questions

• Deliver a manager review with an underperforming staff   Answer Question
    • How would you develop a brand/ product market entry campaign?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

Interview

2 Chef-Keyaccounter haben mich in die Mangel genommen. Mir hat es Spaß gemacht und empfand es als anregend. Die Personalerin hat sich danach bei mir für angeblich harte Gangart entschuldigt. War nicht nötig. Ich fands gut die Kandidaten auf die Nehmerqualitäten zu test. Die Kunden waren dann nicht weniger zimperlich.

Interview Questions

• Warum habe sie im Abitur nur diese Note gehabt? Und das obwohl mein Abitur bereits 8 Jahre zurücklag.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Ich hatte nur ein Gespräch, weil intern zur nächsten Position aufgerückt bin. Nach diesem Gespräch wurde ich erwählt.

Director, Global Medical Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Raleigh, NC) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone screening followed by face to face about a month later. F2F consisted of meeting with 2 managers, 1 marketing employee and an intern. Each asked 5 behavioral questions. After each had their individual round of questions we were given a task to complete and asked to give a presentation after about 30 min prep time.

Interview Questions

• Many behavioral questions regarding teamwork, leadership and conflict.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

Interview

I applied online after speaking with a representative at a career fair. After one phone interview I was invited for the final round. The final round consisted of a day and a half of interviewing and assessments.