GlaxoSmithKline Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 16, 2017

3.1

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Phila, PA) in May 2016.

Interview

Standard interview process started with the HR phone screen progressing to a telephone interview with two senior scientists within the Team and hiring manager/group leader. The next step was an onsite presentation (focusing on my methodological skills and breadth of projects I managed) and additional interviews with team members and senior staff. After the onsite interviews and presentation I was asked to interview with two additional individuals and prepare another presentation focusing on my experience with the therapeutic area of interest. These individuals would be stakeholders I'd be collaborating with.

The onsite interviews went smoothly and I enjoyed meeting my prospective colleagues. I prepared a presentation that would address the objectives specified by the hiring manager. The presentation could not go into specific details due to the proprietary nature of the work. My understanding was that the hiring manager wanted to see the types of methods I used and rationale for using the methods to address different business and scientific objectives. The presentation was limited to 15-20 minutes. It was my understanding that the second presentation was to highlight my research work within the specific disease area and should be 15 minutes in length and to allow for 15 minutes of Q and A. However, the last interview was not conducted in this fashion. One of the interviewers lead and set the agenda and tone of the meeting. It was to start with brief introductions, and for me to go through my work experience from the beginning to my current position. This would be followed by my 15 minute presentation and Q and A. This immediately concerned me because this was not what was communicated to me and the meeting was only scheduled for 30 minutes.

After setting the revised agenda, each interviewer described their background and current role at the company. The "lead" interviewer spent about 10 minutes describing his role and how he works with the group. After more than 10 minutes into the interview (setting agenda/expectations and introductions), I started describing my experience and was immediately interrupted while discussing my first job and asked not to describe the project. The interviewer spend 5 minutes discussing what he wanted to hear. Mind you, my first job was managing a 6 million dollar research study so it was important to discuss my role and objectives of the project. Regardless, I adjusted my approach and rushed through nearly 20 years of work. The same interviewer proceeded to ask me questions, and interjected his own experiences during my responses. After 45 minutes, 15 minutes beyond the intended time, the interviewer told me they had a hard stop in 5 minutes due to another meeting. To say I was concerned is an understatement - 45 minutes elapsed and I wasn't provided the opportunity to go through the presentation I prepared. The presentation was the pretext given for this additional interview. I offered to go through the presentation at that time and told them it would take 15 minutes, or if they preferred, I can present at another time. The same interviewer stated it wasn't necessary. Throughout the 50 minutes of the interview, the other interview said nothing. Also, the lead interviewer was a few minutes late, and obviously these few minutes were necessary.

In a nutshell, my interview experience was satisfactory until the last encounter. Because I was not privy to the discussion between the hiring manager and the last two interviewers, I have no way of knowing whether the three were on the same page regarding the purpose of the interview. At least, the purpose of the interview as it was communicated to me by the hiring manager and recruiter. The last step of the interview process was misrepresented and mishandled. Prior to this, the feedback I got from the recruiter was very positive, and according to him he had to prod for criticism. I used the feedback when developing the script for my presentation.

I felt comfortable with my performance and flexibility throughout the process. I agreed to four early morning interviews, preparing two presentations and interviewing with two additional interviewers beyond the original group. In the end I was not offered the position and the single reason given was not my technical skills to perform the job nor my personality. The reason I was given was that they were concerned about my ability to be concise with stakeholders.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Rockville, MD) in May 2016.

Interview

7-month process from resume submission to job offer, so be prepared to wait. I submitted my resume in December with the resume review in March. Got first call for phone interview in April, followed by F2F in May. Offer came through in July.

2 phone interviews and 1 F2F interview. F2F was one of the tougher ones I've been through and actually felt like a consulting interview with case study. See below for some questions I was asked.

Interview Questions

• Who are our competitors? What are our products? How does our product work? What is our competition doing? Where is our strongest demand? Which patient population is affected the most?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fairly straight forward. It started with the initial phone interview with HR followed by panel style interview with the hiring Director and their peers. It was a good conversational interview with many of the questions coming from scripted HR type documents, aside from those it was really just understanding my past work experience and my understanding of the requirements of the role.

Interview Questions

• STAR format questions, "Tell me about a time..."   1 Answer

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Raleigh, NC) in May 2016.

Interview

Lengthy and hard to get into the proper channels. They hire Managers mostly from within company and you must have specific experience and training to be considered. Politics plays a big role in receiving an interview and making the right relationships makes all the difference in receiving an interview

Interview Questions

• How will you motivate you direct reports?   1 Answer

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (King of Prussia, PA) in April 2016.

Interview

Had a 30 minute phone interview, and then had a follow up interview at the King of Prussia location. I was told I was being considered out of 4 candidates at the phone interview stage, and then I and another candidate were brought on site for a follow up interview.

Interview Questions

• Could you describe a situation where you didn’t know how to do something and how you went about it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself and your career aspirations.   Answer Question

Manager, Policy & Process Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in April 2016.

Interview

Contacted for initial phone interview directly by hiring manager. Requested to attend a second interview six weeks later and suddenly they've hired a new person who will be the manager (very unfriendly). Interviewed in a conference room at GSK by myself with both managers on teleconference. Was asked at least six behavioral questions (STAR) based on GSKs core beliefs, all of which were really about conflict resolution. Not sure how this reveals anything about a candidate's qualifications. Rather, it seems to measure how well you can make up stories with positive outcomes. Over five weeks after second interview, I received an email from HR saying the position had been filled. I would have posted this negative review whether I had received an offer or not. It was the worst and longest interview process ever. Waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had difficulty with someone on a project you were leading.   Answer Question

Product Development Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Warren, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online, took about 3 week for the first HR phone interview and another 3 weeks for an onsite interview. I was interviewed with the HM, a senior scientist and a senior quality member. No hard questions, all basic questions and how my background fits the position.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parsippany, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline (Parsippany, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

There was no response to my resume via the website. Only when I sent in my resume via an employee referral a recruiter called me and did a short telephonic interview. I never heard back from them again? It would be good for them to have a feedback mechanism in place to present a more professional image for the company.

Interview Questions

• 1. Briefly walk me through your profile.
      2. Why are you interested to apply for this role and what is attractive about GSK?
      3. What are your career aspirations?
      4. Briefly describe a situation where you had to work across boundaries and explain what you did.
      5. What are your salary expectations?   Answer Question

Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in April 2016.

Interview

30 min phone screen. Each person talked about what they do. Will ask if you have any questions but their work. Asked question about experience that you have. How well d you work in the team. Will you be available for at least 6 months.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in April 2016.

Interview

After applying online, I got a call and got basic questions about my experience and projects.
    The group leader explained what the group is responsible for and how they work.
    We talked about work-life balance and he asked me specific questions about how I handled difficulties in my projects.
    I never heard back positive or negative response from them.

Interview Questions

• How do you think your projects will help you in this job?   Answer Question