GlaxoSmithKline R & D Interview Questions | Glassdoor

GlaxoSmithKline R & D Interview Questions

Updated Jan 5, 2017

2.7

Undergraduate Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline R & D.

Interview

First asked why I applied. Was then asked about my previous research experience and other types of experience that would translate into the potential job. After finding out I didn't have experience in the area they wanted most, they asked me to give an example of how I learned something.

Interview Questions

• "Give an example of how you learned something"-behavioral question   Answer Question

Senior Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline R & D.

Interview

This initial communication was very positive and attentive. Prior to the interview I was forwarded all neccessary information including list of interviewers, GSK benefits package, and directions. The interview was extremely pleasant and the process flowed well and on schedule.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how much my current and expected salary was. When I inquired the HR person explained that depending on my expectation my candidacy may or may not be considered further.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was given a soft offer and was asked to affirm that I wanted the position.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline R & D in March 2012.

Interview

I had a in person interview for one hour with two senior scientists. It was a technical interview based on the requirements. The interview was a formal process beginning with basic behavioral questions and then moving to technical questions. they had prepared technical questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It is a very good company an environment is very motivating .

Research & Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline R & D (King of Prussia, PA) in August 2011.

Interview

I was scheduled for a phone interview with the company. Questions consisted of what I did at my previous employer and typical interview questions. Questions such as leadership skills, teamwork, etc. are heavily emphasized so be prepared for that.

Tip: Smile and calm down.

Research CO-OP Interview

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline R & D (King of Prussia, PA) in January 2011.

Interview

I was approached via email to set up a phone interview at a time of my convenience. The interview process lasted about 45min with my immediate supervisor. She seemed extremely knowledgeable and willing to aid me in my development in the field.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Still in R & D?   Answer Question

Director of Innovation Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline R & D in September 2009.

Interview

I was screened on the phone for a position by HR. They asked general questions about my background so they could present me to several departments rather than digging deeply into my experiences. Similarly, the 1 on 1 interview was conducted by an HR person trying to assess where i could fit in the organization.

Interview Questions

• They really didn't ask me anything. They literally going through my resume trying to figure out what to do with me.   Answer Question

Computational Biologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevenage, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline R & D (Stevenage, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

context: I am trying to get an industry research job directly after graduating with a PhD in bioinformatics.
    Applied to job ad on website. Phone interview 2 weeks later. Then I got invited for a 5 hour in person interview in Stevenage, UK. The company paid for travel expenses and organized a driver to pick me up at LHR airport. The inteview consisted of 4 30 minutes individual interviews ( hiring manager and one other group leader/director, 1 manager of communication between departments, 1 prospective colleague). Lunch with 2 prospective colleagues at their cafeteria. 45 minutes presentation to about 10 people about my PhD research and finally 1 hour panel (4 people, all of them scientists) interview with a personality/behavioural part and a technical part.

* There was some last-minute planning. I did not get an agenda in advance and my talk was changed from 45 minutes plus time for questions to 45 minutes including numerous questions on the evening before the interview.

* People were friendly and the atmosphere was quite relaxed for an interview. Dresscode seems to be casual to smart casual. I (and the driver) were the only people in a full suit.

* The research campus in Stevenage is huge and contains thousands of researchers. They have huge open offices and often little knowledge about what their colleagues are working on.

* Everyone asked about motivation to do industry research/choosing GSK. They expected detailed answers.

* In each part of the interview it was expected that I ask numerous questions about the job.

* They told me that that will interview two other candidates and decide for one of us.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in the pharmaceutical Industry/For GlaxoSmithKline (by many people, in many versions)? What is your educational background? What are your career plans, would you like to manage people or projects? What are your strengths and weaknesses? What do you like/not like about your current job? How do you feel about not being able to continue a project? How far is your progress in writing your thesis? Are you willing to relocate? How much do you know about pharmaceutical research/biology. Do you have wetlab experience? Which part of your computational experience will be the most useful for GSK?   Answer Question
    • Describe your programming experience? What is your favourite R package? What is C++ stxxl? What use does C++ boost have for computational biology? Are you interested in implementing/standardising pipelines?   Answer Question
    • What types of -omics data have you worked on? Given the interest to work in Pharma, why did you not try to work on some human/medical data during your PhD? What was the last computational biology paper that you liked? Could you explain the work of the ENCODE project? How can GWAS be used to infer causality? How to design a best practice system for NGS data analysis? Given FASTQ files produced by a collaborator, how can you get differentially expressed genes? What strategies can be used to infer causality between differentially methylated regions and differentially expressed transcripts without the need for hundreds of samples?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when: you had a conflict with a colleague, took initiative to change something, did something that didn't work, used teamwork, learned something new, solved a problem, coped with a sudden change.   Answer Question

SummerAdvanced Manufacturing Technologies Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevenage, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline R & D (Stevenage, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Placement advertised on SRG website, so if interested have a look there around March/April time annually
    Sent a Cover Letter and CV
    Cover letter had to answer 3 questions
    Then got to invited to an interview

Interview Questions

• Tell us a bit about yourself, what you're currently studying and why GSK?   Answer Question

Investigator Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline R & D (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Took a long time, but very thorough with HR and panel interview initially. 2nd interview I had to give an hours presentation and had 4 1:1 interviews with the managers of the Dept

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline R & D in November 2010.

Interview

I was called in for an interview at my university for a student position (1 year placement). I was interviewed by the hiring manager only. This was a general scientific interview, asking both chemistry questions and behavioural questions. The interviewer was very nice and made me feel at ease. If i was unsure of an answer to a technical question, he would help me along till i got the correct answer. The interview lasted 45 minutes and I was called the following day with an offer.

Interview Questions

• To draw specific synthetic reactions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

As it was an intern position, I could not negotiate.