Goldman Sachs Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 30, 2017

3.3

Analyst Interview

Interview

university interview
Not very hard, half about resume, half about data structure.

I am not fully prepared, that's why I fail

university interview
Not very hard, half about resume, half about data structure.

I am not fully prepared, that's why I fail

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2014.

Interview

The interviewer asked me to go through the resume first and asked some questions about my experience. Then I was asked about my understanding of the position. We also discussed a little about the economic policy.

Analyst Interview

Interview

Two technical phone interviews. Started out with basic questions; talk about your resume, yourself, favorite classes etc. Followed with technical questions, mainly programming. Both interviews based on one or two "core" problems. After successfully answering them they asked for finer details on the answers, how to further optimize, confidence intervals, etc

Interview Questions

• using the basic programming methods, for, while, if, random number generator and arithmetic to calculate some sequence or mathematical constant.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

I applied online and got an e-mail inviting me for a phone interview. The phone interview was 30 minutes with a member of the team I'd be involved with. The questions were mostly behavioral. They asked about ethical dilemmas, how you work in a team, etc. Two weeks later, I was contacted for a second round interview. They flew me out to Salt Lake City where the interview was only an hour long. I had half hour sessions with two senior members, so four people total. The questions again were mostly behavioral.

Interview Questions

• The hardest part was being asked to teach them a concept in accounting and teach them a concept in finance.   Answer Question

I had a much better offer already and I didn't feel like I would fit in well.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

First interview was a phone interview with a current analyst. About two weeks later I was flown out for a final round which was two interviews with 2 VPs in each one. Most questions behavioral and fit questions. One of the final round interviews involved several situational questions. It is important to know your resume really well.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about the end of quantitative easing?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2014.

Interview

You will be interviewed A LOT of times by A LOT of different people. They don't want to make the wrong decision. They ask a lot of questions to put you on the spot to see if you know how to react to certain situations. I had one interviewer ask about my hobbies section and why I liked a particular sport to see my thought process.

Interview Questions

• What are the firm's businesses?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2014.

Interview

Four people 3 VP 1 associate. Walked through resume
    People are nice. Manager is cool.
    I was impressed and highly interested in this group.
    It was in University of utah.
    One by one interviewed.
    Many detailed questions.

Analyst Interview

Interview

I was sent Immediately to "super day".... through networking.

5 interviews in Chicago office 7AM - Noon. Ranged from VPs to new hires.

Awesome facility. The experienced professionals were awesome. Younger analysts seemed awkward & overworked.

I am not a finance major, so questions were more market based/behavioral based/etc.... Nothing too complex. If you watch the news/follows the WSJ you should be fine understanding the questions.

Interview Questions

• "Why do you want to work at a company where you will have no life?"   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2014.

Interview

Contacted by HR 3 weeks after resume submitted online. Two interviews with HR mangers then brought in for on site interviews. 6 onsite in person interviews lasting a minimum of an hour. All 1v1 interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in July 2014.

Interview

There were 2 interviews. Each with 3-5 team members/VP's. (Ps VP's at Goldman are a dime a dozen. MD's or Managing Directors are few and far between).They asked a lot of different questions about my background. Some were very specific particularly pointed questions about my education, what I learned, what was the most meaningful thing I gained. Between each interview there was probably 1-2 weeks. And the background check process took nearly a month. It is EXTREMELY thorough. After it was completed they wanted me bad. Like 2 days later bad. I had to quit my job faster than they or I would have enjoyed. They are a very driven group of people. When they want you, they want you. Also if you are fresh out of college they don't give a ton of wiggle room in regard to compensation. If you have experience though...you can make a killing.

Personal suggestion - if you can be interviewed in New York do. You can make a lot more ther temporarily, and then later transfer to SLC and be in the top 10-15% of the state pretty quick.

Interview Questions

• Hypotheticals. Tell me about a time when you didn't have any leaders, and you had to make a snap decision. Keep your cool, think before you speak, and you will do well.   Answer Question