Goldman Sachs Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2017

3.3

Analyst Interview

Interview

I was sent Immediately to "super day".... through networking.

5 interviews in Chicago office 7AM - Noon. Ranged from VPs to new hires.

Awesome facility. The experienced professionals were awesome. Younger analysts seemed awkward & overworked.

I am not a finance major, so questions were more market based/behavioral based/etc.... Nothing too complex. If you watch the news/follows the WSJ you should be fine understanding the questions.

Interview Questions

• "Why do you want to work at a company where you will have no life?"   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2014.

Interview

Contacted by HR 3 weeks after resume submitted online. Two interviews with HR mangers then brought in for on site interviews. 6 onsite in person interviews lasting a minimum of an hour. All 1v1 interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in July 2014.

Interview

There were 2 interviews. Each with 3-5 team members/VP's. (Ps VP's at Goldman are a dime a dozen. MD's or Managing Directors are few and far between).They asked a lot of different questions about my background. Some were very specific particularly pointed questions about my education, what I learned, what was the most meaningful thing I gained. Between each interview there was probably 1-2 weeks. And the background check process took nearly a month. It is EXTREMELY thorough. After it was completed they wanted me bad. Like 2 days later bad. I had to quit my job faster than they or I would have enjoyed. They are a very driven group of people. When they want you, they want you. Also if you are fresh out of college they don't give a ton of wiggle room in regard to compensation. If you have experience though...you can make a killing.

Personal suggestion - if you can be interviewed in New York do. You can make a lot more ther temporarily, and then later transfer to SLC and be in the top 10-15% of the state pretty quick.

Interview Questions

• Hypotheticals. Tell me about a time when you didn't have any leaders, and you had to make a snap decision. Keep your cool, think before you speak, and you will do well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2014.

Interview

I was hired for their CRMA division. It took a month for them to get back after I submitted my application. The entire interview process took 2 months, mostly due to the availability of interviewers. I waited for exactly 2 weeks to hear back after the final interview.
    The overall interview process was very positive. Needless to say that everyone was very professional. There were 8 half-hour back-to-back interviews, all conducted over the phone. There were some typical behavioral questions including tell me about yourself, tell me a time when you had a heavy workload, tell me about a project at your latest internship... etc. You need to know your resume very well. I don't have a very strong finance background, so they didn't ask very advanced finance questions, though there were still some basic technical questions such as what is credit risk, how would you analyze a company's credit risk, what role does debt plays in credit risk analysis, etc.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were expected. The most unexpected question was what do you think is the most important thing to GS at this point?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. The salary is fair.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

First rounds on campus and then was invited back for a second round with a number of groups and then a final super day where I interviewed with everyone in the specific group I was looking at

Interview Questions

• Everything was fairly standard interview. A few math type questions, but knew these (and got asked them) since I had a finance background   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation since analyst program has pre-set amounts

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Initial communication was at a school career fair. Then applied online and was invited to an on-campus interview. There were two interviews each ~30mins with two current employees. After getting invited to final round I was invited to a meet and greet with current vice presidents on campus. Flew out and spent the night prior to all day interviews. Interviews were round robin-esque and went around to three different groups of two for ~30mins each. Then continued receiving emails from firm saying I was still being considered but hadn't been placed. Finally had a phone interview with the team I would be working with on the phone.

Interview Questions

• Questions weren't difficult - all behaviorally-oriented.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed by a lot of people in the team and asked mostly behavioral questions that should tie back to the job description. The questions were kind of deep as the interview progressed but if you're prepared it shouldn't be too hard

Interview Questions

• Q: Strengths and weaknesses? Time when you worked in a group setting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2014.

Interview

Two rounds of interview, first round with HR and second round with hiring manager and senior people. HR interview was for half an hour and involved general questions about past work experience. Interview with the panel was more difficult and involved various behavioral questions and lasted for about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you proactively solved a difficult problem and how you did it   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Interview

Contacted by third party recruiter, went through 3 phone interviews, onsite interview met with 10 people (7 technical and 3 HR, 2 out of 10 are managing director).

Analyst Interview

Interview

Intense. Requires careful preparation. Seek feedback through mock interviews before superday. Have conviction.

Interview Questions

• Most questions are derivatives of questions on prep guides. I was asked how to solve the European crisis, which was expected. The surprise was the detailed follow-up on nuances. It was basically a pressure session.   Answer Question