Goldman Sachs Financial Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2017

3.4

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

You send a cover letter and you CV. they will e-mail you to organize a phone meeting. The phone meeting is only for them to get a first feeling, then they will schdule an interview which will often leed to another, and another.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2010.

Interview

I began interviewing in late June and after 18 different interviewers and two months I got the job. They want to know everything about you and how well you can work with others. The background check was also intensive.

Interview Questions

• What is happening in the industry right now and how is it impacting Goldman or other financials.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Goldman does not negotiate salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in November 2009.

Interview

Hardest interview I've ever had. They asked EVERYTHING on my resume (fare game so it's ok). Technical questions were about the market (all of us were engineers and they said they understood we weren't very familiar with the concepts), about portfolios, options, shares, hedge funds, risk, other questions were about stats and probability (what's a normal distribution, what's the meaning of std dev, etc). I also got asked who was the current US Treasurer, the current and past CEOs of GS. I got a brain teaser and he specifically asked to think it out loud!

Interview Questions

• Who's the current US Treasurer   1 Answer
    • What is the 'beta' in a regression model equation?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2009.

Interview

It was ridiculous. The people were arrogant, and I sincerely felt demotivated at every point in the process. This is for chumps.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in July 2009.

Interview

I applied through a career fair that took place in school. Two phone interviews took place and some questions about financial news were asked. After the second phone interview, I was arranged to have an 1:1 interview in their building. The interview began with something like a background check (e.g., grades, experience, whether you watch news or not). then right after they asked me why should we hire you? My advice is not to panic, i think they want to see how you can handle novel and stressful situations. it was hard...

Interview Questions

• If you were to turn into a mouse and trap in a water bottle, how would you escape?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied months ago and finally heard back from GS. It was an interview through Hirevue and I was given 5 days to complete it. There were 5 questions with 30 second prep time and 2 minutes answer time. It was mostly behavioral questions.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bengaluru (India)) in January 2017.

Interview

It was conducted in two rounds and both the rounds were communicative rounds and it was 2 hours long process.They were recruiting in large no. so almost 200-300 people came for interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions were just upon your communication skills.They are just going to test your amazing communication skills.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2016.

Interview

Applied through university placement office. Overall process consists of 2 stages: 1. Online Test (Quant / Coding /Data Science). Second stage is the personal interview. There can 2 or more rounds of personal interviews where you can be asked questions based on your interests and from the verticals mentioned above. Primary focus was given on my CV, quant (Probability and statistics) and coding (Algorithms and data structures). They might also ask very few basic HR questions.

Interview Questions

• Quant: Monty hall problem and its variation, probability of two/three points lying on the same side of the semicircle, probability of breaking a rope into three parts so that their sides form a triangle.   Answer Question
    • Algorithms: LRU Cache design, Subset sum problem, 0-1 Knapsack problem, Version control system for a Queue, basic questions on hash tables and conflict resolutions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Goldman interview was online virtual interview. I know this is a new process for them and it was run through Hire Vue. The questions were presented in a video form. I had 30 seconds to prep and 2 minutes to interview. It was roughly 7 questions. Some behavioral questions and also technical questions, about positions I didn't apply for. Behavioral questions were average about team work etc, but technical questions were about areas of the firm I was unfamiliar with. I have not heard a response back yet

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you were in a situation when not all the information was known.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kolkata (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Kolkata (India)) in July 2016.

Interview

The first interview was an HR round over telephone. Thereafter there was a thorough Telephonic Round based solely on Technical questions for 55 Mins, again over telephone consisting of 2 panelists. I was requested to appear for a final face-to-face interview after that which consisted for about 40 Mins. I was told of my selection shortly after the final round.

Interview Questions

• What are the best modes of acquiring a Financial Services Company operating in India for a US based entity. Briefly explain how the process works.   Answer Question