Goldman Sachs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

3,470 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Payroll Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ).

Interview

Applied online, and a recruiter emailed me the next day to schedule a phone screen. the following day another person reached out to schedule the interview - which ended up being the following week. met with 4 people for 30 minutes each. recruiter called me after the interview to see how it went. later that day she asked for my college GPA and current salary. 2 days later was told they did not want to move forward

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work for a financial services company, having never worked for one before   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Accelerated IB interview, got return offer for another interview. Interview was not too bad and everyone was pretty nice. Would definitely recommend. Very much a get to know you type of conversation.

Interview Questions

• Simple NPV of $1 with a 10% discount rate over 10 years.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in July 2017.

Interview

After a live coding challenge using CoderPen, I came in for a three-hour on-site interview with four different interviewers. They concentrated only a little on technical questions and more on diving into the projects I'd worked on, what decisions I'd made on those projects, and why.

Interview Questions

• How to fashion a SQL query to connect the departures and arrivals of boarding passes to make one contiguous journey.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

It was a technical interview through screen sharing. First, walk me through your resume, tell me about your projects. And there were many technical concepts questions. After that coding.
    The interviewer was really nice and she tried to comfort me throughout the process since I was really nervous. Even if I didn't get an offer it was a valuable experience.

Customer Service Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Had 1 phone screening with Recruiter, 3 onsite in person interviews, then 1 final phone screening with Human Resources. Then they started a very in depth 6 point background check; credit, employment, addresses, education, compensation, drug

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you faced a difficult situation at work and how did you over come it?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

After I submitted my online application, I had a Hirevue interview for 2/3 divisions I applied for (Investment Banking and Management Divisions). The interview lasted about 15 minutes. I had 5 behavioral questions and 1 question for each division.

Strategic Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed for a Strats Analyst position. Didn't get an offer and I didn't personally have a great experience, but it might just not have been the team for me.

Background: Non-target school, STEM background, some coding experience. Applied online on a whim and did a coding challenge. I'm pretty sure I applied for another position (Tech Analyst, but don't remember). Surprised to get asked to do any interviews.

After recruiter reached out, had some technical phone screens. Each was pretty much the same, answer some behavioral questions, then one or two technical questions with a mix of CS, numerical analysis, and statistics. Some interviewers seemed really engaged and pleasant to talk to, others weren't.

Flown in for an NYC interview. They put you up in a nice hotel next door, but honestly, you don't really get too much time to enjoy the city or the Hotel. Everything is paid for though. Bombed this in person interview, though in hindsight all the problems were actually pretty easy and I definitely should have been able to do a lot better than I did. Some interviewers obviously cared more than others, some were nicer than others (that's how it goes). That being said, if you're not the type to work in a bank, don't apply. From what I gathered from hearing from all my interviewers and throughout the process, working a strats job is not some magical coding master piece. The technical aspects to what you're doing is fundamentally easy and once you have the background, you're not going to run into a bunch of super interesting problems. Your goal is maximize revenue and you have to be good at it. If you're looking for an adventure where you get to explore new tech at your whim, this is not the job for you.

My suggestion as far as studying: know algorithms for math type stuff (root finders, basic numerical diff eq, linear algebra), statistical programming, and dynamic programming. Basically, if its used to maximize revenues, chances are you could expect a question on it.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions probably about easy-medium leetcode/hackerrank/ctci. Much of it was math/background focused. Also make sure you know why you want to work at Goldman.   Answer Question

Finance Controller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Remote pre-recorded interview standard issue for all investment banks with basic vetting questions
    One super day consisting of three interviews, the interviewers held various positions within the finance division and had various rankings from manager to analyst.

Interview Questions

• "Describe everything you know about this department and the position you are applying for?"
      "What books are you reading right now?"   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2017.

Interview

Two 30 min interviews. The Interview is not hard without technical questions. They focus on behavior questions and team experience. If you spend time to prepare these questions, it won't be a difficult interview.

Online Banking Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online, a few days later I got an email from a recruiter offering me two positions. We then scheduled a phone interview where she asked about my experience, the reason for separation from one of my employers. She basically just went over my resume. In the same week I was invited for an in person interview at the salt lake office. I was asked some of the same questions and some new ones. The interview was super short and casual, and the manager who interviewed me was wearing jeans while I had a pant suit on. Two days later I got an email from another recruiter to have another phone interview tomorrow and I don't know what to expect.