Goldman Sachs Financial Analyst - Private Wealth Management Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs Financial Analyst - Private Wealth Management Interview Questions

Interviews at Goldman Sachs

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Washington, DC) in February 2018.

Interview

First round was through HireVue. It felt very impersonal. The questions themselves were fine but they gave you 30 seconds to read a question (which each had about 4 follow ups included) and then 2 minutes to fully answer said question and all of its follow ups. I had applied for both IMD and Securities division (the questions are below).

About two weeks after that, I ended up being contacted to attend the Superday in Washington DC for the PWM - IMD role. They flew me out to DC and gave me a 9:00am-1:00pm "schedule" with literally no other details other than that it was 9-1 and who to ask for at the reception desk (a person's name that I never actually got the chance to meet). From there, it went down hill.
My first interview lasted 30 mins. I was instructed to wait in the room for the next interviewer. Waited over 15 minutes when the interviewer rushed in, sat down, and started asking questions and never even introduced herself to me. She was rushing the interview and asked me about 4 questions total, then asked if I had any questions for her, and then she rushed out. Waited in the room again and a guy came in, also seemed a bit rushed, and asked me mostly behavioral questions. He informed me that he hadn't even looked at my resume at all, so he asked about my background mostly. He told me I probably had a few more interviews, so I asked him if I had time to use the restroom before the next round and he said yes. Came back to find him waiting by the room to tell me that it turns out he was my last interview. He quite literally ushered me to the elevator and told me they would contact me within the next few days. However, I had to go retrieve my coat and bag from the coat closet, and noticed the other two candidates were still in interviews.

I've been through a few Superdays at this point, so having a first and second round within one day is not abnormal, but not being transparent about that to the candidates is certainly unprofessional. Not to mention that there was no one actually running or supervising this event. On top of that, all three interviewers had only been working with Goldman and in that office for a year or less than a year. So I was flown to DC and stayed in a hotel for a night for about an hour and a half of rushed interviews. It left me with a very bad taste in my mouth regarding the PWM division and Goldman Sachs as a whole.

Here is (basically) every question I was asked:

1st interview:
Tell me about yourself.

If I was off the grid for this past year (no access to news/media), give me a high level overview of what has happened in the world/financial markets. (semi technical)

If I had 25 million and was your client, how would you invest it? (technical)

Do you work better in a team or as an individual?

Tell me about a time you worked well with a team.

Tell me about a time you were innovative.

Tell me about a time you solved a problem.

Give me 1 strength and 1 weakness.

Why PWM?

Interview 2:
Tell me about yourself.

Asked about each section/experience on my resume and what I did/what I found interesting about working at certain places.

Why I wasn't returning to where I interned.

Why Goldman Sachs and why PWM?

Interview 3:
Walk me through your resume.

Give me 1 strength and 1 weakness.

Tell me about a time you worked well with a team, and also about a time you didn't work so well with a team.

How closely do you follow the markets/do you know what they are doing? (I think this was supposed to be technical? who knows)

Tell me about a time you had to learn something quickly and how did you do it?

---

It was quite clear they didn't really know what to ask in the interviews and did not meet or collaborate with the other interviewers to make sure I wasn't being asked the same thing over and over again (which I was, if you read the questions above). Again, it was also clear (not just because they each told me) that all of my interviewers were very low level and not quite sure what to do. I just had the Superday, so haven't gotten an official response yet, but I think I can assume I won't be getting it.

That said, this whole process seemed like an embarrassment for Goldman Sachs, a company I expected would handle things in a streamlined and professional manner.

**Also, to be fully transparent here (and hopefully this was/is irrelevant to their decision), my second interviewer was the only woman I saw in the office, and I was the only female candidate.

Interview Questions

• If you had a sick classmate that obtained a copy/answers to an exam and said they wanted to use them to study, what would you do? (and what would your thought process be, how would you approach them, etc)   Answer Question
  • If you were in a fundraising group that focused on diversity, how would you promote inclusion?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you were excited about a project, and how did it impact the result? (why were you excited, what did you do because of that, etc)   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you didn't have enough information to make a decision? (what did you do about it, how did you end up making the decision, what was the result, etc)   Answer Question
  • Specific to IMD: In the investment management division, do you feel like you would work better behind the scenes with data and research, or working directly with clients, and why? (and how do your experiences and skills fit into that, etc)   Answer Question
  • Specific to Securities Division: What asset class interests you the most and why?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Talked with one person on the phone for about thirty minutes. Asked a lot of technical question about the market and past experiences in the industry. Was able to ask questions about the internship at the end. Overall, it seemed this position was analyzing stocks, funds, and indexes with other members at the company.

Financial Analyst - Private Wealth Management Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

The interview took place over a span of 2 months. The first interview was on campus and the second was a superday. The first interview was a great experience and the people were great. PWM is very fit based and they want to get to know you more than anything else. The first interview had 2 people in it and was 30 minutes in length. The superday was 4 back to back interviews with 2 people in each interview. Each interview was 30 minutes in length. The superday was great, and everyone I interviewed with was very welcoming.

My biggest piece of advice- be able to talk about the markets in-depth and just be genuine.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the markets, how would you invest one-million dollars and why, and some behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

Received an email from a recruiter wanting to set up a phone interview. Set it up immediately, and interviewed a week later. Phone call lasted 30 minutes with a very pleasant and non-intimidating associate who was more than happy to answer all of my questions.

Interview Questions

• Name one time you were in a team setting and a teammate did not agree with you. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Philadelphia, PA) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online and had a 30 minute phone interview followed by in-person interviews. I went to the office and sat in a conference room while different people came in to interview me (all interviews were one on one). Sometimes I was left waiting after an interviewer left, and sometimes the next one came in while the previous interview was still in progress. I met with about five different people (some analysts and some higher up). Everyone was very friendly. Some of the questions were challenging (a few riddles and some follow ups on my opinion of the market etc.) For the most part the interviews were conversational and a positive experience. I asked questions and learned more about the experience of working in PWM. I did not hear back until two months later when I was informed I did not get the internship.

Interview Questions

• Questions about my resume/experiences, why do you want to do PWM? Asked basic stock market/economy questions with more specific follow-ups, a few riddle/logic games   Answer Question

Financial Analyst - Private Wealth Management Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2015.

Interview

I interviewed for the position over the phone. The questions were strait forward and simple. The woman who called wasn't the friendliest during the interview, but we made it through all right.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

One superday (4 interviews) if your school is not a core school. You have to do a lot of network so you can show your interest, and go to as many event's the company is hosting.

Interview Questions

• 1. what is duration?
      2. how would you approach a new client and convince her to come with us?
      3. One time you failed
      4. Why should I hire you?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst - Private Wealth Management Interview

Interview

Seemed rushed and uninterested. Had only women interviewers that seemed competitive and unwanting of a new intern. Rude phone call to notify of decision - "Please call us back so we can discuss the next steps" - Later... "We have decided not to proceed further"

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Miami, FL) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online through their website, had a phone interview, then an in person interview. The phone interview was very informal, they asked me if I followed the markets, what I knew about the company, etc. The in person interviews were much more difficult and had a wide variety of questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied directly on the website and received a phone call in 2 weeks. The phone interview was brief then had a full day interview on site. I had met with 5 different people and all 5 pretty much asked me questions about my resume. Make sure you know your resume inside out and make sure you know the role of the position inside out. Each interviewer will try to bring out a flaw so make sure you nail every interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What motivated you to have such a great GPA   1 Answer