Goldman Sachs HCM Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs HCM Interview Questions

3.5

HCM, IBD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New Haven, CT) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard with them asking me about why did I choose my major, talking about my greatest weakness - however, I didn't expect very specific questions regarding HCM.

Interview Questions

• What made you choose your major?
      Tell us what you know about HCM?
      Answer Question

HCM Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. Still had to apply online and complete the forms.

I was contacted by a recruiter a few weeks after I had spoken with my contact at the firm. It lasted about 30-40 minutes. Then about a week later I was invited to a Superday (two 30 min interviews)

HCM Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2016.

Interview

I had several interviews with them. The questions were pretty typical. The interviewers were nice and made you feel comfortable. They sure can take a long time making their decisions though.

HCM Job Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted through LinkedIn - I didn't apply for any job in GS. But what happens next left a bad taste in my mouth and for the sake of the recruiter, I'll withhold her name because it was the most unprofessional, immature and uncouth recruiter I've ever come across. She definitely was coming into the interview as "we are GS, so you bow to me" mentality. She has recommendations in LinkedIn but she is by far the WORST ever recruiter I've ever come across in my career. A mark of a good recruiter is somebody who can see beyond what's written on the resume, e.g., what the person actually did and how they did it. In any event, she was so predictable that I knew I wasn't going to get a call back. It's a shame because if it's true that "she controls all the HCM jobs", then she's probably turning off and losing a lot of potential ideal candidates. Sure enough, she didn't call back - no closure, whatsoever. Their loss.

Interview Questions

• It was s phone screen interview, so the questions were exploratory.   1 Answer

Analyst HCM Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very lengthy, but standard. A recruiter reached out via LinkedIn, followed by a phone call and 2 in person interviews with over 9 different people.

Patience and persistence is my best advice for anyone going through the hiring process at Goldman.

Interview Questions

• What are your career goals, what brought you to the finance industry, what are your global experiences   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no need to negotiate, the salary and benefits offered were wonderful!

Machine Learning - Human Capital Management (HCM) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied to the recruiter webpage and got called by her. She asked me if I was interested in switching to this role because I am originally a Computer Vision Engineer. I said yes and she scheduled me an interview. First interview was hard and second slightly easier. The position was put on a hold and I didn't follow back afterwards.

Interview Questions

• First interview:
      1. Improve the product google glass by identifying objects in scene and populating information about it on screen.
      2. How to efficiently index a book based on words

Second Interview:
      1. SQL - write a query to extract the first occurrences of sales according to person name (I am not very experienced in SQL and my answer might not have been very good. But he realized that about my background and moved on to programming questions).
      2. Write a function to find the 2nd highest number in an array - Easy to solve.
      3. Write a function to find the nth highest number - I kept giving solutions and he asked me to improve the time complexity at each step.
      First step - use quick sort to find nth order statistic
      Second step - to sort the function by merge sort and return nth order statistic.
      Third step - if this function is called over and over again, use a hash table to store sorted version of array and return the nth statistic.
      4. How to efficiently index a book based on words
      5. Probability question: There's one box - has 12 black and 12 red cards, 2nd box has 24 black and 24 red; if you want to draw 2 cards at random from one of the 2 boxes, which box has the higher probability of getting the same color? He added, can you tell intuitively why the 2nd box has a higher probability - My solution was that at a step when you remove a card, say a red one, the second box still has a higher probability of drawing a red card than the first box and he said it is right.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in December 2011.

Interview

Very long and tedious process. Over 15 interviews for a position they ended up putting on hold.

Interview Questions

• Goldman is a New York based, type A company so questions came fast and furious. They gave you a schedule beforehand and adhered to that schedule to a T.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in July 2010.

Interview

This was a great interview process. Everything happened really quickly. I received follow up right away and my interviews were scheduled immediately. Initially I was interviewed by a recruiter, then I went to the office for a super day and had 3 back to back interviews. The next day I received a call with some positive feedback and was asked for my availability for a phone interview. The interviews were knowledge and behavior based questions. Even though the total number of interviews is a lot the process is really efficient.

Negotiation

n/a

HCM Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Applied online then was contacted by the HR team who confirmed an interview. This consisted of a two round interview with the first round focusing on a case study which was later discussed with employees, and then also competency questions.
    Second round was more based on skills, so situational judgements, competencies again and deeper probing.

HCM Summer(Teach First) Interview

Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (City of London, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

Application form was a simple 300 word covering letter + work experience history.

3 weeks later I was invited to first round interview. Typical 45 minute HR interview with a mixture of competency and knowledge type questions.

A week later I was invited to final interviews. 2 half-hour interviews with senior staff in HCM. First interview was more of a conversation with only one 'interview' style question and the rest was questions to the senior member and discussion of answers. Second interview was more technical regarding functions of HCM and ideas about issues in HCM.

A few days later I was informed of the offer and an opportunity for a full time offer if the internship goes well.

Interview Questions

• Can you outline a particular issue facing HCM with regards to recruitment and your thoughts about how you might overcome this.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation possible but very fair wage.