Goldman Sachs Technical Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs Technical Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jan 4, 2017

Technical Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ).

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Online Coding assessment which isn't too bad and then a series of behavioral questions on hirevue. make sure if you applied for multiple positions, you prepare for all of them. Usually only one question per position is asked + a series of general questions. Invited for super day for late january.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in February 2016.

Interview

My whole GS experience felt very off. I saw GS at a hackathon at my college, and they got in contact with me a few weeks after that for a phone interview. Only, the guy who was interviewing forgot to call the first time, which was frustrating. We rescheduled for a second time, and it went okay. I was asked for an in-person interview two months later; was told it would be 2 back-to-back 45 min interviews at their Jersey City office and a mingling session at their New York office. I get there, and turns out that this was the day they were interviewing ALL of their summer intern candidates at the same time. It felt really awkward sitting in a room with 15 other candidates all competing for the same job. The first interview I had, the woman had really bad breath; I sat across the table from her and could smell it. The second interview was with two men that went much better. Questions weren't too hard, in my opinion. Basic data structures questions. Once my interviews were done, GS had me and the 15 other candidates during this time period (there were more candidates that arrived for a time slot before and after me) transfer to the NY building via ferry. When we got there, the mingling session consisted of two GS employees and a bowl of M&Ms. I got alerted a couple days later that they weren't going to move forward with me in my application process. All in all, the process of applying felt fairly condescending. I didn't expect a college internship job interview to be super formal, but I expected something far less kiddy than what I got from GS.

Interview Questions

• 1) Describe how you would construct a binary tree.
      2) Explain how you would find the intersection between two collections.
      3) What projects have you done? What was your technical involvement with them?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in September 2015.

Interview

Applied through UC Berkeley callisto portal. Had one on-campus interview with 1 technical interview and 1 semi-technical. 2nd/Final round was in NYC where I had 2 45-minute interviews: 1 behavioral 1 technical.

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I interviewed in around Feb, 2013. First did an on-campus, the interviewer didn't ask any actual coding question, but asked some knowledge based question like static/dynamic types in java, classes, OOP etc.

Then I got invited to onsite. It was called "super day" and was quite intense - starts at 8 am, and many interviewees were gathered in a room to hear instructions, then we head to different offices to do the actual interviews. I had to interview 3 different groups, and each group consists of 3 interviews of 45 minutes.

Most of them were really easy and I was rarely asked a technical question, even when I did it was not too difficult to figure out. However I do know that recently there's some changes in the technical interview process as they start to focus more on asking technical questions and making them do hands on codings. However it is still quite exhausting after 9 consecutive rounds of interviews.

A disappointing detail is that you are not given free lunch. I had to run out and get food from a nearby place.

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online. HR contacted me and had a brief interview: questions about past work experience, why switch? why goldman? etc. They passed along my resume to multiple teams. Heard back from 3 teams. Each team conducted an initial phone screen. It sounds juvenile, but def know everything you put on your resume. The first guy that interviewed me asked things from when I was in college (nearly 2 years ago) and I didnt remember everything for eg UNIX commands. One of the teams liked me and decided to conduct two back to back technical interviews with developers on the team (think they wanted to make sure I was good to fly me to nyc since I was out of town). Still waiting on onsite interview.

Questions from phone interviews:
    - Difference between interface and abstract class. When would you use one over the other.
    - Left join vs right join
    - what is the join on a table itself called
    - What is a spring bean - more spring type questions
    - what type of jdbc statement would you use for an sp
    - what is the sdlc process at your current firm?
    - difference between jsp and js
    - how would you find and remove a duplicate row in a table
    - why is String immutable?
    - how many hours a day do you spend coding?
    - how would access SQL from Java code
    - how would you open a db connection

Interview Questions

• Design a restaurant with people in line, waiters, tables seating system, etc using data structures + design patterns   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

I had 14 interviews! One with each of my team members, and one each with a "sister" team member. Everyone conveyed one idea in common - Everybody helps everybody out. They were correct. And I was convinced that I want to join.
    Don't expect to get paid much in the beginning. If at all you get paid "well", it will only be after a few good years.

Interview Questions

• A few fancy puzzles. A few mathematics questions that I hadn't thought about in over 10 years.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

First round interview was on campus, I was asked a lot of personality question, and really basic programming questions about inheritance, polymorphism, and school projects. Know everything on your resume really well, because they will ask a lot of details on it. About a week later was asked to go to New York for second round. You can get called back to 1-4 groups. Each group has 2-3 people interview for a total of 1 1/2 hours. Lots of brain teasers, and a few simple java programs. Second round had no behavioral questions really. Some of the interviewers can be really intense while others are helpful.

Interview Questions

• 1) What is the sum of n numbers?
      2) reverse a linked list
      3) What is polymorphism and inheritance?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in May 2013.

Interview

Phone interview with two members of the team. Pretty basic, described the position. They were most concerned with gauging interest. Goldman flew me down to NYC. Was little bit of a hassle because they flew me into JFK even though my interview was in Jersey City (but hey, they are goldman they can do that). During face to face Super Day 4 back to back interviews. I was given my offer the next day and I accepted. Questions were not all that difficult, be confident. It was a little awkward that you get to meet all other candidates before the interviews.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult task you've faced in the workplace?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Goldman does not negotiate

Technical Analyst Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

Interview

I talked with the people at an on campus career fair. I had an on campus interview for about 45 minutes with 1 person, who was a recent graduate. The interview was pretty relaxed. I was just asked to go through my resume, explain why I want to work at Goldman Sachs, etc. They also had me fill out a ~15 minute coding worksheet. I t was heavily skewed towards Java questions.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were simple. Like == vs .equals() in Java, Fibonacci runtime, a databases question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

I had an on-campus interview, it was 2 vs 1, very nice, no tech questions, simply go through my resume. Then a week later, I was invited to the super day, 8-9 interviews for 3 group, questions about java language, like interface and abstract class, Database design and again, questions about your resume. The only thing that bothered me is that, I want to drink a ton of water before I want to say another word. Just kidding, the interviewers were really nice and they asked me if I need several minutes to rest and drink water. People in GS were also really nice, for the first interview, I got lost in their building, a gentleman helped me find the place I need to go and encourage me, "buddy, just smile and be confident, you can do that!"

Interview Questions

• Not really, all classical problems about java and database, go through glassdoor or careercup and you will be OK.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They telephoned you,