Goldman Sachs Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

2,178 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Strategic Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed for a Strats Analyst position. Didn't get an offer and I didn't personally have a great experience, but it might just not have been the team for me.

Background: Non-target school, STEM background, some coding experience. Applied online on a whim and did a coding challenge. I'm pretty sure I applied for another position (Tech Analyst, but don't remember). Surprised to get asked to do any interviews.

After recruiter reached out, had some technical phone screens. Each was pretty much the same, answer some behavioral questions, then one or two technical questions with a mix of CS, numerical analysis, and statistics. Some interviewers seemed really engaged and pleasant to talk to, others weren't.

Flown in for an NYC interview. They put you up in a nice hotel next door, but honestly, you don't really get too much time to enjoy the city or the Hotel. Everything is paid for though. Bombed this in person interview, though in hindsight all the problems were actually pretty easy and I definitely should have been able to do a lot better than I did. Some interviewers obviously cared more than others, some were nicer than others (that's how it goes). That being said, if you're not the type to work in a bank, don't apply. From what I gathered from hearing from all my interviewers and throughout the process, working a strats job is not some magical coding master piece. The technical aspects to what you're doing is fundamentally easy and once you have the background, you're not going to run into a bunch of super interesting problems. Your goal is maximize revenue and you have to be good at it. If you're looking for an adventure where you get to explore new tech at your whim, this is not the job for you.

My suggestion as far as studying: know algorithms for math type stuff (root finders, basic numerical diff eq, linear algebra), statistical programming, and dynamic programming. Basically, if its used to maximize revenues, chances are you could expect a question on it.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions probably about easy-medium leetcode/hackerrank/ctci. Much of it was math/background focused. Also make sure you know why you want to work at Goldman.   Answer Question

Market Risk Analyst Interview

Interview

He interview
    4 round of technical interview each last 30 min
    Interviews happened over phone
    Questions were asked from Stat, Econ, Probability, Finance, computer science

Interviewers weren't friendly
    Extreme stress interview

Interview Questions

• Brain teasers
      Stochastic volatility models
      Econometrics
      Programming
      Option theory
      VAR calculation
      Black-Scholes model
      Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of meeting a recruiter on campus and discussing the application process, applying online and then moving into the interview rounds. You are asked to complete a HireVue interview which is general behavioral questions, "Tell me a time when..." type of questions. You are then contacted to schedule and interview at the office to which you applied and complete a networking event, which is general and a way to get to know other candidates, and then an interview the next day. The interview consisted of 3 thirty minute interviews with 3 separate managers. One asks ethics based questions, another is meant to test your analytical experience based on your background and the third is about your diverse background and what you bring to the office environment.

Interview Questions

• Why Goldman? Why this division? Why this city?   Answer Question
    • Hypothetical ethical situations that you may encounter in the workplace.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you completed a task that no one else thought you could. How did you use analytical skills to finish it?   Answer Question
    • What would your bosses or mentors say is your biggest weakness and biggest strength? What would you say is your biggest weakness and biggest strength?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online and get two phone interviews. However, I did not prepare too much. Feel embarrassed during the interview. however they are quite nice to help and explain the concepts on the spot. Overall they are quite nice and gentle.

Analyst - HCM Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I had applied through one of my contacts. Soon I received an email from HR and the first round was a telephone interview. It was a basic resume walk through, the analytics projects I have done at school, the tools I used etc., I received a super day invitation within 2 days. It was a typical super day similar to any other large firms. I was supposed to talk to 4 people initially but, ended up talking to 5 through various means (telephone and in-person). Questions weren't tough, they mainly test your project management skills, issue resolution skills, and your inquisitiveness. I was expecting technical questions but none of the interviewers touch upon that. The interviewers were very empathetic and patient. Overall it was a positive experience. I received an offer within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

The first round interview was on campus, then a phone interview, then super day in New Jersey and finally a financing group interview at the market. You are part of the investment banking pool.

Credit, Liquidation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Difficult, would ask questions until breaking point. The person that interviewed made it slightly uncomfortable and tried to scare me with how hard the job was going to be.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain a difficult concept to your boss?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Arlington, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Attended NSBE 2017, had a nice conversation with a representative and dropped off my resume with them. Got to schedule two 45minute interviews after a week. Both the rounds were technical and pretty basic. Most of the questions were based on what I put on my resume.

Interview Questions

• Tell us something about yourself.   Answer Question
    • what is polymorphism? what is inheritance?   1 Answer
    • The logic used to solve a problem based on the use of arrays.   Answer Question
    • coin flip and risk analysis based brain teaser.   Answer Question
    • regression analysis questions based on what I did during my course work.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2017.

Interview

Process took a couple weeks. I applied through a recruiting agency and they sent my information to Goldman Sachs. I was notified a week later that I would receive an interview. The interview was a little overwhelming, as it was my first professional interview. There were two 30 minute interviews with two people from the team that was hiring for the position.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Operations?
      Describe a time you worked within a team.
      Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview was through HireView and a few weeks later I got s second round interview which was more technical. If you are prepared, the interview questions are not that hard.