Goldman Sachs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3,501 Interview Reviews

3.2

Strategic Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed for a Strats Analyst position. Didn't get an offer and I didn't personally have a great experience, but it might just not have been the team for me.

Background: Non-target school, STEM background, some coding experience. Applied online on a whim and did a coding challenge. I'm pretty sure I applied for another position (Tech Analyst, but don't remember). Surprised to get asked to do any interviews.

After recruiter reached out, had some technical phone screens. Each was pretty much the same, answer some behavioral questions, then one or two technical questions with a mix of CS, numerical analysis, and statistics. Some interviewers seemed really engaged and pleasant to talk to, others weren't.

Flown in for an NYC interview. They put you up in a nice hotel next door, but honestly, you don't really get too much time to enjoy the city or the Hotel. Everything is paid for though. Bombed this in person interview, though in hindsight all the problems were actually pretty easy and I definitely should have been able to do a lot better than I did. Some interviewers obviously cared more than others, some were nicer than others (that's how it goes). That being said, if you're not the type to work in a bank, don't apply. From what I gathered from hearing from all my interviewers and throughout the process, working a strats job is not some magical coding master piece. The technical aspects to what you're doing is fundamentally easy and once you have the background, you're not going to run into a bunch of super interesting problems. Your goal is maximize revenue and you have to be good at it. If you're looking for an adventure where you get to explore new tech at your whim, this is not the job for you.

My suggestion as far as studying: know algorithms for math type stuff (root finders, basic numerical diff eq, linear algebra), statistical programming, and dynamic programming. Basically, if its used to maximize revenues, chances are you could expect a question on it.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions probably about easy-medium leetcode/hackerrank/ctci. Much of it was math/background focused. Also make sure you know why you want to work at Goldman.   Answer Question

Finance Controller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Remote pre-recorded interview standard issue for all investment banks with basic vetting questions
    One super day consisting of three interviews, the interviewers held various positions within the finance division and had various rankings from manager to analyst.

Interview Questions

• "Describe everything you know about this department and the position you are applying for?"
      "What books are you reading right now?"   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2017.

Interview

Two 30 min interviews. The Interview is not hard without technical questions. They focus on behavior questions and team experience. If you spend time to prepare these questions, it won't be a difficult interview.

Online Banking Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online, a few days later I got an email from a recruiter offering me two positions. We then scheduled a phone interview where she asked about my experience, the reason for separation from one of my employers. She basically just went over my resume. In the same week I was invited for an in person interview at the salt lake office. I was asked some of the same questions and some new ones. The interview was super short and casual, and the manager who interviewed me was wearing jeans while I had a pant suit on. Two days later I got an email from another recruiter to have another phone interview tomorrow and I don't know what to expect.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

There was a 30 minute phone interview with basic question regarding my resumes and some behavioral question. Upon passing though the phone screening, a super day of back to back interviews with multiple employees

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of meeting a recruiter on campus and discussing the application process, applying online and then moving into the interview rounds. You are asked to complete a HireVue interview which is general behavioral questions, "Tell me a time when..." type of questions. You are then contacted to schedule and interview at the office to which you applied and complete a networking event, which is general and a way to get to know other candidates, and then an interview the next day. The interview consisted of 3 thirty minute interviews with 3 separate managers. One asks ethics based questions, another is meant to test your analytical experience based on your background and the third is about your diverse background and what you bring to the office environment.

Interview Questions

• Why Goldman? Why this division? Why this city?   Answer Question
    • Hypothetical ethical situations that you may encounter in the workplace.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you completed a task that no one else thought you could. How did you use analytical skills to finish it?   Answer Question
    • What would your bosses or mentors say is your biggest weakness and biggest strength? What would you say is your biggest weakness and biggest strength?   Answer Question

Investment Management Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I had the opportunity to use Goldman Sachs' new HireVue applicant pre-screening tech for an IMD Internship I applied for in August, and interviewed in September. The pre-recorded questions are multi - faceted, which I allowed to throw me off my game. I have not heard back from HCM, but I am confident that I will not be extended an offer to attend superday.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to make a decision in a team, without all the information being given. Was it the best outcome? Explain.   2 Answers
    • Describe in detail how the Finance Division safeguards the firm's assets   1 Answer
    • What does the Investment Management Division do? What area within IMD do you want to work, and why?   Answer Question

Market Risk Analyst Interview

Interview

He interview
    4 round of technical interview each last 30 min
    Interviews happened over phone
    Questions were asked from Stat, Econ, Probability, Finance, computer science

Interviewers weren't friendly
    Extreme stress interview

Interview Questions

• Brain teasers
      Stochastic volatility models
      Econometrics
      Programming
      Option theory
      VAR calculation
      Black-Scholes model   Answer Question

Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in May 2017.

Interview

The call came out of the blue from one of the recruiters over the phone and through email and there was always an ambiguity for what role I was being interviewed for. The recruiter very diligently failed to mention that in every email response when I asked what role is it. It was definitely for an experienced hire role is what I learned from the interviewers. The first round was a screen sharing coding test followed by 5 rounds of video call interviews. The funny thing is the team expressed that they wanted to bring me onboard. But when I reached out to the recruitment team after a week about the status of my offer letter, they informed me that team is no longer considering my candidacy. This behavior is called as pure "UN"professionalism and being "UN"ethical. A professional firm like Goldman Sachs acting like this shows the bad culture of the firm as they have no respect and have no integrity to stay on their word. Utter traitors. I would suggest the firm to please not call or commit with an offer and pull back like cowards if you don't have the capability or capacity to hire good talent. For sure you have all the time to waste but the candidate's time is precious. PS: the recruiters are equally laid back and unprofessional. They have no sense of commitment or candidate's time.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral questions and below average level technical questions on Java and SQL.   Answer Question

Analyst - HCM Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I had applied through one of my contacts. Soon I received an email from HR and the first round was a telephone interview. It was a basic resume walk through, the analytics projects I have done at school, the tools I used etc., I received a super day invitation within 2 days. It was a typical super day similar to any other large firms. I was supposed to talk to 4 people initially but, ended up talking to 5 through various means (telephone and in-person). Questions weren't tough, they mainly test your project management skills, issue resolution skills, and your inquisitiveness. I was expecting technical questions but none of the interviewers touch upon that. The interviewers were very empathetic and patient. Overall it was a positive experience. I received an offer within 2 weeks.