Goldman Sachs Operations Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs Operations Interview Questions

Updated Aug 5, 2017

466 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

That was compus interview. Two terns, one was with a senior VP and the second one is with two more analysts. They asked questions about my resume and my understanding of Goldman Sachs. They were pretty friendly and the overall interview process was not difficult. I didnt feel pressures from them.

Operations Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

There were two back to back 30min interviews, asked common behavioral questions and about my experience. Know your resume well and make sure you can pull examples to answer their questions. Also asked some questions about ethics and what being ethical means.

Interview Questions

• When you are part of a group project what is usually your role   Answer Question

Banking Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

1 round of phone interview + 2 rounds of face-to-face interview
    phone interview is with 1 person for about 30 min, 2 rounds of face-to-face is about 30 min - 45 min long with 2 interviewers in each session.

Interview Questions

• Strength, weakness, achievement, difficult situation, why GS, why this role etc - standard behavioral interview questions   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online. They took about three weeks to call me back. When they did they called me over the phone to see if I was interested in the internship. After saying yes, she scheduled me an interview with someone in the New York Office. Never heard anything back after. Poor communication.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2016.

Interview

Got phone call, short 10 min interview on the spot. Interviewed on site. 2 back to back 30 min 2 on 1 interviews. behavioral questions were pretty standard and easy to answer . Everyone was very friendly

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online via both Goldman Sachs and ASU's career portal site. I applied on a Saturday and got a phone screening call on Monday. On the phone screening I was asked: why do you want to work for us? Why Goldman Sachs? Why Operations? Are you comfortable relocating to Salt Lake City?

That same day I received an email inviting me come to the SLC office for Superday interviews on February 12, 2016. The email advised that I come a day early to attend a Goldman Sachs Women's Networking event. They paid for my travel, hotel, food, and taxi.

I attended the networking event the night before interviews. The networking event is in a way part of the interview. At that event I meet about 25 other people interviewing for the internship program, a few people from human resources, and few people from the operations division. There was a panel presentation and then we got a chance to ask them questions. It is VERY important to make an effort to introduce yourself to everyone from the presentation, because many of them will be interviewing you the next day. You hear a lot of great information about company culture that you can talk about in your interview.

Superday for operations in two back-to-back interviews. My first interview was with one of the women I meet the previous night. All the questions were behavioral and company fit. She first had me walk her through my resume. As I was doing so, she asked specific questions about some of my previous experiences. She also asked: What does Goldman Sachs do? Why Goldman Sachs? What is Operations? Why Operations? How do you like SLC? Tell me about a time that you failed and how you recovered? Then I got a chance to ask her some questions. I asked her how the company culture has helped her grow professionally? What advise would you give me a young women entering a male dominate profession? It did not take the full 30 minutes, we finished after about 25 minutes. This made me nervous because I was the first person to finish.

The next interview was about the same. This time I was interviewing with two people. With two people it took the full 30 minutes. I felt like they tried to ask me questions to stump my confidence. For example in this interview they asked if my GPA would have been higher if I just did one major and less extracurricular activities? That was probably the hardest question I had to answer. It is important to maintain your confidence. At the end they allowed me ask some questions. This time I asked about the mentorship opportunities etc. The interview with two people lasted the full 30 minutes. Do NOT ask the interviewers about the next steps in the application process. Save those types of questions for the recruiters. I got a call back exactly a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume/ Tell me about yourself? What does Goldman Sachs do? Why Goldman Sachs? What is Operations? Why Operations? How do you like SLC? Tell me about a time that you failed and how you recovered? What do you like about our culture?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online for a different position, but they called me about a week later and asked if I would want to be interviewed for operations. I said yes. I flew out to a superday a month later. I had to get up at 3 AM to get to the airport, got in at 1 pm. There was no time to rest. I had to get ready and eat and go to a networking event. The 2:1 interviews were the next morning at 10.

The women's networking event was about 3-4 hours. There were about 5-7 current woman employees and the rest were applicants. They told us what operations was and how it worked (when everyone should have already known what it was because we were there to be interviewed to get a job in operations!) Then, they encouraged us to go out to the bars and get a feel for the city.

I knew operations wasn't what I wanted to do, which probably showed during the interview. They asked basically only behavioral questions, but I wanted to talk more about the technicality of the job. The first interview was relaxed and fun. The second was not. They acted a bit pretentious, which I'm not entirely sure why, considering this is operations that has been outsourced to SLC-- not sales & trading in Manhattan. I ended up asking them a question that made them defensive, but I had already decided I didn't care if I got the internship or not. (about if it was hard for them to grow in their career or grow as a person when the office in SLC is made up of only operations... since there's no exposure to other function groups of the bank like sales, trading, m&a, etc.. and it's a very structured job.) I became a bit blunt and cold when they didn't answer my questions about the differences in the jobs (face time, roles, activities) within operations. They weren't interested in talking about that, so I just asked them "how did you end up here in context of your schooling and majors? Why did you choose operations in salt lake?", which they probably were sick of answering.

They want to see if you are peppy, but not too peppy, won't step on anyone's toes. The entire process was very much like sorority rush, just to put it into perspective (not to mention there were no homely women there being interviewed. All tall, thin, pretty... and the men waiting to be interviewed that I talked to looked like they were chosen from a ralph lauren catalog.. I'm not sure how they achieved having no unattractive accounting, finance, and econ majors.... very susupect..)

Operations is for a certain personality type, which is obvious. The interview is only to see if you are personable and fit in with them, because that's generally all that matters. They can teach you skills, but not how to get along with them. It was an educational experience, nonetheless. Oh and their office space is very nice! Enjoy it!

Interview Questions

• When was a time you were a leader? What were the results?
      When was a time you failed? How did you recover?
      How do you manage your time when you do all of these [school activities]?
      Tell me about yourself.
      Walk me through your resume.
      How have you used data and analyzed it in your past work experience?
      Do you like salt lake?
      Tell me about a time you were on a team. What role did you play? What were the results?
      What is something you are doing or learning currently to improve yourself that isn't necessary for your job/major/etc.?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview was two 30 minute interviews back to back. My first interview had 2 people interviewing me and my second one had only one. They asked a lot of questions relating to my resume and why I chose my major. They also asked behavioral questions relating to working with others/in a team. At the end of each interview they left 10 minutes for me to ask them questions.

Interview Questions

• Why Goldman Sachs? Why Operations? What do you know about Goldman Sachs?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied through my college's job resource page and heard back with an interview opportunity within a week. They flew me out to SLC for the interview and I went through two rounds of half hour interviews each with two people questioning me. Fairly easy questions, nothing too difficult. I heard back less than a week later.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2016.

Interview

I submitted my application, was then phone screened a few weeks later and flown to Salt Lake City two weeks later for a set of two interviews. I found out within two weeks that I had received the internship.

The interviewers were laid back and personable so it was overall a comfortable experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in operations?
      What skills do you have that would make you an important contribution to our team?
      Why Goldman Sachs?
      Tell us about yourself...
      Describe a situation of adversity

Pretty much general interview questions   Answer Question