Goldman Sachs Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Goldman Sachs

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

a phone interview, mostly ask about behavioral quesitons and few technical questions, and whether you follow the market or not

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

I had interviews with everyone in the group and eventually with the head of the group. Very few of the questions were technical. Most were related to my previous experiences, why I wanted to work in investment banking, why I wanted to work for that particular group, etc. I asked them about different transactions that they had worked on.

Interview Questions

• Why did you decide to go into a Master's program directly out of undergrad?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in December 2009.

Interview

Phone interview was very technical - going through the 3 financial statements and how they connect with each other.
    In person interveiws with 5 people. Involved a teaser, realatively simple valuation questions, but mostly character / personality questions.

Interview Questions

• If depreciation boes down by xx, how does this effect the financial statements of a company - where does it flow in each statement?   Answer Question
    • Where does minority interest go on the financials statements (new rule in 2009)?   Answer Question
    • How would you operate a hot dog stand?   Answer Question
    • Last book you've read and what you thought about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in December 2011.

Interview

I haven't yet completed the interview process--I began with a 20-minute phone interview, and will soon take part in a 3-hour interview in-office with the other applicants for the same job. I'm not sure how the 3-hours of interviews will be structured, but I heard from a current analyst that VPs from the division will interview each applicant as a group for one part of the interview. During the phone interview, I didn't have to answer any questions about the job I was applying for, or the company, and my interviewer was very easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• How do your skills and experience apply to the demands of this job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

I had two interviewers, both were VPs of IBD. One of them was friendly and easy to talk to but the other interviewer was aloof at best and seemed largely disinterested. It started off with the usual "walk me through your resume" and was a mix of fit and technical questions. For the technical questions, they asked me to explain LBOs since the work experience I had in my resume involved them. They also asked me what investments/projects should I pursue and how I would explain to my boss what a good one would be.

Interview Questions

• How does an LBO work? Would you rather finance an acquisition with a debt/equity split of 70/30 or 90/10? Why?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

On campus interview. Superday intervew in NYC.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

2 phone interview, one on campus interview, superday

Interview Questions

• In what situation could a call option have parabolic returns?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Superday interview as a lateral from another bank. Went over some fit stuff and wanted to make sure I was technically competent. Really emphasized hiring both hard working and smart people. Otherwise standard questions about background, interest in IB / GS, etc.

First half of the superday oddly wanted to know technical knowledge but didn't go too deep into line of questioning.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

The process involved a phone screen and then I was flown out to interview that Friday. The interviews (3) were mainly behavioral with one being focused on my knowledge of the valuation process. I interviewed with three other people and none of us got an offer.

Interview Questions

• Compare the volatility of a burger joint and an airplane manufacturer and how that would affect the valuation of the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

1st round interview on campus. Final interview round at company site. 4 two-on-one interviews on technical and behavior topics.

Interview Questions

• What causes the expansion and contraction of EV/EBITDA multiples.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate.