Goldman Sachs Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 8, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Superday. Behavioural. Very stressful. They asked about investment strategy, aka if we don't invest in T-Bill what will we invest in? Mostly about the 'fit', what sports you do, do you know enough of the team. Very conversational, but intellectually challenging - speaking of the technical part.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, NH

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Hanover, NH) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online via their website, and then had a Skype interview with a current analyst with one or two other analysts coming in and interrupting us now and then.

Interview Questions

• If I were to call a previous employer what would they say about you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2015.

Interview

It was pretty straightforward but it takes forever to even get an interview. I found everything professional but I definitely won't be working there. I found a lot of the questions were less technical and more aptitude-related in general. I wasn't asked to do that much financial modeling or answer any highly specific questions at all. I think that they care a lot about cultural fit more than anything else.

Interview Questions

• What interests you most about a career in investment banking?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

From non-target, had fortunate timing and GS interviewed around 6 undergrads chosen from resume drop. After this, was invited to NY for a superday, and following this, did not receive an offer. Superset interview consisted of 3 30 minute interviews with 2 bankers. Mix of technical and fit questions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The medium is the message. The interviewer cares less about your answer to this question and more about the confidence, enthusiasm and passion with which you answer it.The speed of the response is the response. The biggest mistake you could make is pausing, stalling or fumbling at the onset of your answer, thus demonstrating a lack of self-awareness and self-esteem.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone interview, mainly behavioral, then Superday. The phone interview was very easy, and there were no technicals. Superday consisted of 3 rounds. They didn't ask me any random technical questions; all the questions were focused on my resume. Overall the questions asked were pretty basic.

Interview Questions

• Mainly asked about my previous iB experience, like rationale behind transactions and my role   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I attended their info session on-campus and then applied online. After one month or so, I received two phone interviews for the first round. Have not heard back anything for the decision yet. They usually give out second round with video conference and the final round will be on-site.

Interview Questions

• They asked very deep into several deals I did over my internships and also the DCF model.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Not very many technical questions as I had expected. It was definitely more behavioral questions, but the guy was very friendly and no brain teasers or hard math. Overall a good time and it was a very relaxed environment

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2014.

Interview

One 30m Prescreen, Talked with a VP in the NYC IBD. Nice guy, questions were nothing out of the ordinary, interview flowed like conversation. Was contacted the next day that I would be hearing back within the week - was never contacted (its been over 3 months).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a market your following?
      A company with high P/E aquires a target with low P/E - accretive or dilutive?
      Walk me through the cash flows statement.
      Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

They held a few information sessions at my school. I attended all of them and reached out to a few contacts a made. Then, short "informational interviews" were held with a selected group of applicants. From there they invited a handful to an early super day and let the rest go through with first round interviews and potentially a later super day in January.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about all of the different methods used to value companies. DCF walkthrough, comparable analysis, etc. Specifically, I was asked about which ratios would be used to value a start-up vs. a highly leveraged company vs. a large conglomerate with steady earnings.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Don't negotiate an internship.