Goldman Sachs Interview Questions in London, England | Glassdoor

Updated May 19, 2017

3.3

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Apply online. Apply for HK IBD office. Receive the Digital Interview Invitation after 1 month, still wait for the next round. Did the interview through Hirevue interview. Less pressure because you are facing less real interaction with people. Can be well prepared if go over possiable behavior questions and background questions.

Interview Questions

• What value can you add to GS?   1 Answer

IBD Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

(1) HireVue interview: behavioral/competency questions. You get 30sec to prepare & 2min for your answer. 5 Questions only. I believe it is important to express your ideas clearly and not exceed the time limit - make sure it shows your answer has a proper closing sentence within the time limit. (2) 3 x 30min final round interviews with VPs / directors. Questions were mostly behavioral, few technical ones, very simple brainteasers. I found them very easy, no surprising questions. Very limited time for your own questions: make sure you ask smart questions. I had one of them in my native language; I presume you can expect to be interviewed in any language you state on your CV that you can speak fluently.

Interview Questions

• For the same company valued in the same circumstances, which valuation methodology - comps, transactions & DCF - owuld give the highest valuation?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you had to build a professional relationship. How did you go about doing that?   Answer Question
    • What is 16*17?   Answer Question
    • What was the biggest mistake that you've ever made?   Answer Question
    • A time when you had to analyse a lot of data and observe trends.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

first is application - 200 word cover letter;
    second stage - digital interview - 30 seconds to read the questions and 2 minutes to answer (rejected after this) - around 8 questions in total

Interview Questions

• Asked division-specific Qs
      - (realty management) what is in your opinion the most successful class of real estate assets?
      - what do you think IBD analysts do on daily basis?
      Personal
      - tell us about a time you had to coach someone

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Hirevue interview, very impersonal. 30 seconds to think about your answer and two minutes maximum to answer. They tell you the questions by video and then allow you to record your response on your computer or ipad. its basically an on demand interview.
     6 questions all Behavioural/situational.

Not an enjoyable experience

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when your manager questioned your decision
      Tell me about a time when a team member wasnt pulling their weight in a project

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)).

Interview

First round interview: on site numerical and verbal reasoning test followed by a 30 min one-on-one interview. The interview process was like being on a conveyor belt of candidates - a by the numbers type of affair rather than anything personal.

Interview Questions

• General questions "describe a time when..." and some simple maths questions (without pen and paper), e.g. estimate the number of tennis balls you could fit inside an airplane.   Answer Question

Operations Graduate Analyst London Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Filled the application form on their career website (CV, Cover Letter), got an interview in their London office. Got notified about the interview less than 24h before the actual interview, so there was no time to prepare.
    No offer after the 1st interview. Very nice of them to cover all the travel expenses.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions - leadership, teamwork experiences, what I know about Operations, and what they do. Why Goldman Sachs, why Operations. Describe the life cycle of trade.   1 Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Simply meet everyone. Persist with maintaining positivity and clarity as you will be meeting lots of people one on one. Feedback would have helped, which HR could have provided. Interviewers took the time to explain the firm.

Interview Questions

• Anything they feel like talking. No structure.   1 Answer

IBD Spring Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)).

Interview

30 minute interview at their offices in London. It was with an IBD associate. It was supposed to be competency-based but they didn't ask me any competency questions, only commercial awareness (e.g. recent deals, oil prices, china slowdown, ...). Make sure to be prepared to answer a lot of questions relating to the financial markets. Also, they almost always ask "Why IBD" or "Why GS". They didn't ask me that but I know that they usually do.

Interview Questions

• How many windows does the building have?
      Talk about a recent deal we've advised.
      Walk me through your CV.
      Mathsy questions.

Operations Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online and got emailed for a first round interview which was just getting to know me and a few competency questions. 2 weeks after I was called for the final round which involved 3 rounds of 2:1 interviews which were fine but you need to know your Cv inside out aswell as what your division does and have an idea of what banking in general is about.my feedback was that didn't get it because I didn't explain teamworking skills enough so ensure you're able to go thorough on that

Internal Audit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)).

Interview

A recruiter forwarded my CV. I was invited to come in for a chat at the Fleet Street headquarters. This first interview was very relaxed and was for the most part a simple chat about the job, the company and my previous experience. I felt it went well and I was encouraged about the process.

However there was a long delay (four weeks) before anything further happened. Even the recruiter was surprised about this. Then I had two phone interviews, one with the Bangalore office and two that afternoon with the New York office, each 1 hour long. The New York phone call involved several people on speakerphone; in retrospect I should have said immediately that I could not understand them properly.

I knew I had not done very well in the final interview and the rejection was communicated via the recruiter the following morning.

Interview Questions

• Suppose you have a C++ method which is declared as "protected". Can an instance of a child of that parent class call the protected method? Do any restrictions apply? What about a child of that child class?   1 Answer
    • Consider some arbitrary covariance matrix. Describe the terms you would expect to find on the diagonal of that matrix.   Answer Question