Goldman Sachs Interview Questions in New Jersey | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs Interview Questions in New Jersey

Updated Feb 24, 2017

Technical Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ).

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Online Coding assessment which isn't too bad and then a series of behavioral questions on hirevue. make sure if you applied for multiple positions, you prepare for all of them. Usually only one question per position is asked + a series of general questions. Invited for super day for late january.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in January 2017.

Interview

First is hackerrank then is hirevue then onsite. What is notable is that I got invited for superday before submitting the hirevue interview.
    Superday was two rounds. First is with a senior level guy who's really friendly and funny... however he asked lots of behavior questions from the paper provided to him so I feel like it's not a good way of understanding each other. One technical question that was pretty fun. The second round is with two younger engineers who seems really unapproachable and unfriendly.. I basically walked out of the interview knowing that it won't end up good.

The HR will call about the decision. It only took them one week so that was really good. Overall the interview is very easy, but it really depends on who you meet on that day.

Interview Questions

• If your boss want you to meet a client that is from different culture, what will you do?   Answer Question

Strat/Quant Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got an email to do a HireVue interview. HireVue asked basic behavior questions, nothing technical. After the HireVue, I got invited to a superday where I did two interviews with VPs in the department. A mix of technical and behavioral, not really any finance related questions.After superday, I did another technical phone interview which had some finance related questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied through university career website. Got a hackerrank challenge within a few days. After completing the hackerank got invited to a digital interview platform Hirevue within a week. They asked basic behavioral questions and why I would be a good fit. After a month interviewed at their office in New Jersey, called Superday interviews. Two back to back 45 minutes interviews covering technical as well as behavioral questions.

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Newark, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

Had a HackerRank coding challenge in the beginning (1 DP question, 1 hashmap). Easy. Had HireVue interview. All behavioral; annoying but easy. Called for superday (2 45 minute interviews which went almost over till 50 minutes for me.) 1st one was 3 behavioral and 2 technical Qs.

Interview Questions

• Is posting exam solutions right? Machine learning questions because it was based on my resume.
      Print odd numbers from m to n, print prime numbers from 1 to n in optimal complexity.
      Some other BS behavioral question.

Second interview was way easier in my opinion - 2 technical questions (explain greedy, DP; *and a question about using hashmap), they like Java so know Java. Behavioral: your coworker has problems with some employee, wtf do you do about it?

*Question about hashmap: you have 2 integer vectors A, B. Go through each sets and print if they are present in A; present in B; or present in both.
      Answer Question

Summer Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

Simple enough. First the 2 question hackerrank test, then the hirevue a week later, then the onsite I believe about a month after.

The hirevue consisted of all behavioral-oriented questions that ask you to draw on previous situations and experiences, so prepare for that.

If you make it to the onsite, they pay for your flight and a nights stay at a 5 star business suite. On Superday, you'll get 2 45…

Interview Questions

• Dyanmic Programming, Usage of Arrays over Linked Lists, and Java specific questions. They really love Jave here.   Answer Question

Services Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied through the GS website. I was sent a link for a video interview and a week after I submitted the interview, I was invited for a super day at Jersey City, NJ location. Had three separate interviews with 2 people each, all of whom were VPs. 2 of those interviews were very smooth and interviewers made it really casual, but the 3rd one was simply terrible. Both interviewers gave the best poker face ever and did not react to anything I said.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a team conflict you have faced and how did you go about resolving it?   Answer Question
    • Why Goldman Sachs? and Why Services division?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

1) Online coding
    2) video interview (five questions)
    3) superday interview (two rounds) in Jersey City. Nice view of the Hudson river and lower Manhatten
    Technical questions were very easy compared to silicon valley companies.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions were very easy compared to silicon valley companies.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in November 2016.

Interview

Interview process is slightly different from the reviews I read.
    First you apply online, then they send you a programming challenge on hackerrank website. 2 problems for 45 minutes, with the second one explicitly asking for an optimzed solution. Then they send you a link for behavioral question to be recorded on HireVue. 5 questions; each question is followed by 30 seconds to allow yourself to prepare a response and then 2 minutes to respond. The platform allow to test some sample questions, but when taking the real ones is one shot only, no cchance to retry. After that I have been called for super day in NYC (New Jersey Goldman Sachs tower). There, the interview consists of only 2 45 minutes sessions with senior emplyee of different divisions, so there is no call in the afternoon. The interviewes are a mix of resume, behavioral and technical. No tour of the place, lunch or anything. You get the response if you get the position within 2 weeks.

A kind of stupid aspect is that they do not cover travel expenses between New Jersey and NYC, so do not fly on Newark unless you know which trains to take (it is faiirly easy, but if you arrive at a later time in the day, avoid it).

Interview Questions

• A colleague comes to you to ask for help because she can't work with her colleague due to incompatibility of the way of working. How would you handle that?   Answer Question
    • You discover that the president of your school association is posting solutions to homework and exams. How would you handle that?   Answer Question
    • You have 1000 coins. 999 are fair. 1 have 2 heads. You randomly pick one and toss it 10 times. It comes out 10 heads. What is the probability you pick the coin with the two heads?   2 Answers
    • You have a fair dice. What is the expected number of toss to see all the six faces?   2 Answers

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in November 2016.

Interview

Interview process was relatively standard. A quick online programming assessment (I found this part to be very easy). Then they wanted me to use HireVue which was fine (took less than 15 minutes). I would rather have just spoken to someone over the phone instead of recording myself talk and submitting it. Got an email within a couple of days inviting me to a superday. Superday was just a couple of interviews, I was asked some behavioral and some technical questions, nothing of which was particularly difficult.

However from a logistics prospective, it seemed incredibly disorganized. I was not expecting it to be as bad as it was, especially from Goldman Sachs of all places. They had me book my own flights through their system (on incredibly short notice). Almost all of the options were "too expensive" because all that was left were first/business class tickets. This should easily have been something that could've been done on my behalf, no other company I've interviewed with made me go through this. I also had to call in several times to make sure that they issued my tickets. They hadn't even booked my flight until the day I was supposed to fly out, let alone send me the ticket/confirmation number which took a few extra hours. Once I actually showed up things got a little better. Got to the interview floor, checked in and waited. However between my interviews, someone had shown up (very) late for their interviews and the recruitment staff shortened my interview and another individual's interview to accommodate. I was actually very upset with this decision, I felt like I was being punished when I did nothing wrong. There was also some networking session (which I felt was not very useful). However, after my second and last interview (which ended a few minutes late because of the shuffling) everyone left and no one told me where I was supposed to go for the networking session.

All in all:
    Programming assessment difficulty: 1/5
    HireVue: 2/5
    In-person interviews: 2/5
    Just felt incredibly unorganized given which company I was visiting.