Goldman Sachs Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated May 18, 2017

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

It was a coding challenge. I got an email with an attached pdf and I had 2 hours to write the code in Python, C++ or Java. I didn't hear back anything and after a week I emailed them to ask about the results, and someone called me and said they didn't hire me.

Interview Questions

• The email said we have tried to be clear in our problem statement but feel free to email me if you have any questions. We expect you to finish the problem in 2 hours.   Answer Question

AIMS Strats Interview

Application

Interview

I had a phone call which went on for more than an hour. Half of it I was explaining my expreince and the second half was my interviewer asking me stats and algorithm questions. He was really nice and didn't come across as short or abrasive.

Interview Questions

• Q: what is PCA? what is first component for the data set <0,1> <1,2> <-1,0>?   1 Answer

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received an email from HR to arrange for phone interviews. Spoke to two team members separately for 30 minutes each. The interview started by them introducing themselves and when straight into my current project. They didn't focus on technical details and only interested to understand what I did and how I did it.

Interview Questions

• Describe current project in details and they asked questions related to your project.   Answer Question

Strats Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Global Strats team interview. Online coding challenge first, phone screen weeks later. Coding challenge consisted of two programming questions using whatever programming language. Phone interview with an SVP is behavioral plus technical for 45 mins.

Interview Questions

• implement an algorithm to fit n ads in one youtube video to maximize profit   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied months ago and finally heard back from GS. It was an interview through Hirevue and I was given 5 days to complete it. There were 5 questions with 30 second prep time and 2 minutes answer time. It was mostly behavioral questions.

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got a HackerRank challenge the next day, 2 problems (easy - medium). Got all test cases. Didn't get any contact after submission but I realized I got rejected after I checked my status on their webpage several days after.

Interview Questions

• HackerRank, 2 problems, 1 easy, 1 medium-easy. Second one was a variation of a classic problem.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

First Round: resume screening
    Second Round: Behavorial Questions on video screening
    Third Round: On campus Round (Comprising of 2 interviews)
    Interviews were bit weird, much of the discussion was on why finance and to justify the same.

Interview Questions

• Why finance? A question on circular arrays and string search.   Answer Question

Risk Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

It's a first round phone interview with 30 mins. And it is for Controller Modeling (CM) group within the Market Risk Management and Analysis (MRMA) Department. First they ask you to introduce yourself. And then ask technical questions in mathematics, algorithms, and time series. In mathematical questions, they ask more details about what you answered.

Interview Questions

• Select average price in several fruit by using C++, or matlab   Answer Question
    • Solve the square root of 3   Answer Question
    • What is stationary in time series and the difference between weekly stationary and strong stationary   Answer Question

Legal Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied on the company website. I received an email from the HR department to schedule a phone interview. I had that with two people about a week later and waited a week to hear back. I went for a 2.5 hour interview with two different people for every half hour in the NY location. I waited about a week after that, and had an interview with the head of the group and one of the lawyers. All were very personable and friendly. No crazy interview questions, mostly about my experience, what databases I had used, etc., if I had worked with a team, things like that. After that, I was asked to fill out a record of past compensation and am scheduled to talk with the head of recruiting for the division soon ( I don't know if I'll get an offer yet but Glassdoor only wants me to say yes or no)

Interview Questions

• Do you feel more comfortable when specific directions are given to you or when you have room to think of creative solutions to solve a problem?   Answer Question

Summer Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied in last week of January and got a hackerrank coding test the next day . About 5 days after that I got a hirevue behavioral interview with questions like describe a time you had to give reviews to your team, tell us about yourself etc. Recording yourself seems a bit odd but don't take this lightly.
    I was invited for an on-site interview about a week later. They provided me with travel and accommodation at Conrad, New York for a night.
    My slot was from 11 AM. The interviews were started on time and I was done with everything around 2 PM. First interview was a mix of technical, behavioral and puzzle type questions. Went OK.
    Second was more technical than first with a few behavioral questions. They usually check for culture fit, previous work ex helps. Technical questions(mostly algorithms and SQL) were not difficult but I couldn't give optimized solutions because of lack of practice. They did give me nudges in the right direction.
    Two weeks later I got a follow up call asking if I had other offers and a week later I got the offer.

Interview Questions

• If you have 100 continuous numbers, one number is missing, how do you find it?   1 Answer