Goldman Sachs Operations Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 8, 2018

291 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Operation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2010.

Interview

Interview was purely behavioral and there were no skill related questions. That being said the interviewers were friendly and knowledgable. How much they actually know about my suitability for this position is questionable. Perhaps this reflects on the level of expertise actually required to be succesful.

Interview Questions

Low salary, lack of meaningful work.

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Operational Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Interview process took around 4 months. GS came out to my campus to recruit future grads. First interview was a recorded Hire Vault interview...then a few weeks later, I received an email saying that they wanted me to fly out for 3 (30 min) back to back interviews...I ended up interviewing with 5 GS workers. They were all amazing and I really enjoyed speaking with all of them. I originally applied for a PT position but they wanted me FT. A month or so later, I had a phone interview with the VP in a different office for a FT position.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral & Fit Questions.   Answer Question
    • Describe a process that you've made more efficient?   Answer Question
    • Rank Customer Service, efficiency, and risk management in order of importance   1 Answer
    • Describe my background (a lot in regards to my resume)   Answer Question
    • Do you fit the leader role? Give an example of projects that you've worked on.   Answer Question
    • Describe an example of when you've had to adjust who you are in order to fit into a situation.   Answer Question
    • Describe a mistake that you've made.   Answer Question
    • Describe risk management   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online, heard nothing. Eventually through an employee referral, I was able to get a face-to-face interview with an HR professional several months later while I was in New York. Again, I heard nothing for several months until I got an email saying I was invited to interview for a job in Operations for which I had not originally applied. This in-person interview took place a week later. I went through 4 half-hour interviews, each with 2 different interviewers in the Operations division. A week later I received the offer of employment.

Interview Questions

• If you could change three things about the NY Subway system to make it more efficient, what would they be? (I didn't expect the question and had poor knowledge of the subway system)

There were also a couple specific questions about finance, why I respected the company, why I wanted to work at GS, about the LIBOR issue at the time, etc.   Answer Question

Other preferred job offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied through university career services and got invited to Superday at SLC office. Interview consisted of 4 back to back interviews with people ranging from analyst to vice president. All the interviews were very nice and it felt more like a conversation than a full on job interview. Make sure you know everything on your resume.

Interview Questions

• No hard questions at all, all the questions were based on behavior and ethics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

Resume was sent to Goldman executives after doing an Executive in Residence Program through my university. Was emailed after the program ended about submitted my resume through their website in order for them to schedule an interview. A week later, was called for next day interviews. 3 interviews, 30 minutes, 3 different people (one of which was an executive I met through the program). ALL behavioral questions.

Have another interview scheduled for next week. Fingers crossed!

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

--A very long and drawn out process--

I applied through my campus' career center, and was lucky enough to be selected even though I am not a business or finance major. They are looking for people with drive, a good work ethic, values that align with the firm, and diversity. The main thing piece of advice that I would give is to really know yourself inside and out. Be able to explain how your past experiences in college have shaped you, and how the experiences and skills you gained as an undergraduate will help you succeed at Goldman Sachs. The questions they ask are mainly personality based, and relate to how you have challenged your self, led others, and worked on a team.

The first interview was on campus and was broken down into two sections. The first with two campus representatives, while the second was with one representative. They were really friendly, which made it really easy to talk and open up to them.

I was lucky enough to get invited to a second interview at the Salt Lake Headquarters a week later. They defray all travel expenses. The second interview was similar to the second, and I was asked similar questions. The only difference was the added pressure of it being the final interview, the atmosphere created by actually being in the office building and waiting with your competition, and the subdued personality of the interviewers. (They were less friendly in the second round). They will ask you curveball questions, and want to see how you react to being under pressure.

I didn't hear back for a long time after the final interview, but received an offer a month and a half later over the phone. I'm pretty sure they use a waitlist system. I went with three other people from my campus; one got a rejection letter a week after the final interview, and the other got an offer a few weeks after the super day while I was left waiting for news.

Important: Make sure to ask interesting or stimulating questions at the end of the interview. If you don't have any, you will probably leave a subpar impression

It was a very tedious and challenging, but worth it in the end.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2013.

Interview

No initial screening. Applied online and flown out to Salt Lake City. Standard interview questions. Took 2 weeks to hear back

Interview Questions

• All about ethical questions and diving deep into your resume. Looking for a good fit with the culture.   Answer Question

The pay was ridiculously low.

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Campus hiring, first round two to one. Went through my resume and no technical questions at all, they were all very nice.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your interests, what books do you read recently   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2013.

Interview

I come from a non-finance major, and the position I applied for was open to all majors, I went to two campus events and heard good things about the company, so I applied online. I then did on campus interviews (and the day before I attended a pre-interview training) there were two back-to-back 30 minute interviews with two different managers at the same time (for a total of four). About two weeks later I was invited to go up to the Salt Lake office, and it was again two back-to-back 30 minute interviews, two at a time, for a total of four.

All the questions were mostly personality questions. How you work in a team, how you handle ethical dilemmas etc.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you have a story about what you did when you encountered an ethical dilemma. Also, be prepared to talk about "Why apply to Goldman Sachs", "Why operations?". Make sure to study up on how to answer those questions.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Interview

We had GS recruiters come visit our campus for career fair/info sessions. After that, I applied for the opening via the company website as well as my school's online career service system. I had a phone interview and after that was the onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing surprising! the interview focused on diversity, leadership and teamwork.   Answer Question