Goldman Sachs Operations Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 6, 2018

292 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Operation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2010.

Interview

Interview was purely behavioral and there were no skill related questions. That being said the interviewers were friendly and knowledgable. How much they actually know about my suitability for this position is questionable. Perhaps this reflects on the level of expertise actually required to be succesful.

Interview Questions

Low salary, lack of meaningful work.

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Operational Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Interview process took around 4 months. GS came out to my campus to recruit future grads. First interview was a recorded Hire Vault interview...then a few weeks later, I received an email saying that they wanted me to fly out for 3 (30 min) back to back interviews...I ended up interviewing with 5 GS workers. They were all amazing and I really enjoyed speaking with all of them. I originally applied for a PT position but they wanted me FT. A month or so later, I had a phone interview with the VP in a different office for a FT position.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral & Fit Questions.   Answer Question
    • Describe a process that you've made more efficient?   Answer Question
    • Rank Customer Service, efficiency, and risk management in order of importance   1 Answer
    • Describe my background (a lot in regards to my resume)   Answer Question
    • Do you fit the leader role? Give an example of projects that you've worked on.   Answer Question
    • Describe an example of when you've had to adjust who you are in order to fit into a situation.   Answer Question
    • Describe a mistake that you've made.   Answer Question
    • Describe risk management   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online, heard nothing. Eventually through an employee referral, I was able to get a face-to-face interview with an HR professional several months later while I was in New York. Again, I heard nothing for several months until I got an email saying I was invited to interview for a job in Operations for which I had not originally applied. This in-person interview took place a week later. I went through 4 half-hour interviews, each with 2 different interviewers in the Operations division. A week later I received the offer of employment.

Interview Questions

• If you could change three things about the NY Subway system to make it more efficient, what would they be? (I didn't expect the question and had poor knowledge of the subway system)

There were also a couple specific questions about finance, why I respected the company, why I wanted to work at GS, about the LIBOR issue at the time, etc.   Answer Question

Other preferred job offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied through university career services and got invited to Superday at SLC office. Interview consisted of 4 back to back interviews with people ranging from analyst to vice president. All the interviews were very nice and it felt more like a conversation than a full on job interview. Make sure you know everything on your resume.

Interview Questions

• No hard questions at all, all the questions were based on behavior and ethics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

interview was boring with a lot of repetitive work. You go in and have to talk to five people with 4 half hour interviews and they drill you on everything you can think of.

Interview Questions

• what would you change about subway station   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in December 2013.

Interview

I went to a GS info session for GIR on campus in October, and applied for GIR first and added Operations at the last minute just to see. I didn't hear anything until late November, when a campus recruiter emailed saying they were having trouble opening the resumé I had uploaded in my application, and asked for me to email her a copy directly. I sent her the resume, and received an email that same day inviting me to Salt Lake City for a superday the next week. GS flew me out from L.A. for 4 back-to-back interviews, all set up in one room separated by screens. The energy in the office was extremely low, which I found surprising, and the interviewers were cordial but seemed like they would rather be anywhere else. Overall, the atmosphere was depressing and unimpressive.

Interview Questions

• The interviews were standard personality fit- All 4 interviewers asked about an ethical dilemma I had faced, and how I worked in a team/problems I had encountered while working on a team and how I fixed them/why Goldman. There were some questions about my resume, but only one interviewer asked about risk management and my previous relevant experience in depth. The interview questions aren't too bad, but the glazed over eyes of the interviewers may dent your confidence.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in December 2013.

Interview

Company Website

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call a few weeks later explaining I was chosen for an interview. It was short notice but I was luckily available. I was fortunate enough to have 6 interviews on their "super day." All interviewers were extremely friendly and pleasant. There were usually 2 interviewers per half hour interview.

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a process that you had to make simpler or more effective?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied through the Goldman Sachs Careers website, and was contacted within the same month to interview in their New Jersey office. Overall, I felt like the people that I interviewed with were very passionate about their work at Goldman Sachs, and were interested to see if you would be, as well.

Interview Questions

• What is Operations, and how do you feel that your current choices mirror this career choice?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2014.

Interview

applied online at the end of Nov. 2013, received HR e-mail in the middle of Dec. 2013, interview took place on Jan. 7, 2014; 4 back-to-back interviews in SLC; HR called me a week later.

Interview Questions

• if you want to do well, prepare following questions: 1. why GS 2. why operations 3. tell me one experience you have that improved a process's efficiency 4. asked lots of team experiences 5. r u always a leader or you have leader qualities

Go through your resume carefully, they ask deep questions on what you listed in resume. For example, i was an accounting major student, they asked "what is the most difficult formula you have used in excel?" "ranking 1 for best 10 for worst, how will you rank your excel skill?" "how did you review a financial statement?" I am pretty sure they just want to hear your logic, understand how you think.

Also be honest! In the first interview, they asked me "what is risk control?" I said i dont know but i could give a definition and example based on my experiences and understanding. After i finished my story, they were pleased and told me "we only hiring honest ppl, thx for being honest."   Answer Question