Goldman Sachs Senior Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs Senior Software Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Goldman Sachs

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in March 2010.

Interview

First java test and then 1:1 interview, first one was asking more about my exp and some scenarios where the technologies used.and the second one totally brain teasers. no feed back yet.

Interview Questions

• write a function to swap integers not using third int?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nyack, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Nyack, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

I had two telephonic rounds. First one was a technical one where I was asked some basic questions in Java and database concepts. Second one was again a telephonic with a manager, where we discussed basically about the experience I had, the projects I worked on etc.
    After that I was told I may have to take one more telephonic interview. But I have not heard from them till now.

Interview Questions

• Generational garbage collection and major and minor collections.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in January 2008.

Interview

first phone interview with non-technical manager;
    then on-site interview with technical manager. This was a typical Java developer position interview question.
    FIrst there was 20 multiple choice question on Object Oriented programing test. This was followed by a verbal one-on-one interview.
    job was software development in java (back office)
    after my interview i met directory level person, which was again non-technical.

Interview Questions

• can there be a thread without a process   2 Answers
    • describe some of the design patterns that you have used   1 Answer

Negotiation

I wasn't able to negotiate. they had a fixed salary for that particular ti title.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I was approached by Goldman recruiter on LinkedIn. They were very professional through the whole process. Because I am local I only had one phone interview. Two weeks later I had the onsite interview at Goldman's West street HQ. I would say the interview difficulty was above avg. They were 1:1, 2:1 sessions; totally 5 rounds. I was told that the interview could end early, but I went through all the rounds and finally talked to the hiring manager. Like another post said, meeting with the hiring manager doesn't mean a job offer. A few days later, I was told no offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2015.

Interview

A very long process with initial phone screening with engineers in both NY and SLC. Then initial on-site interviews and then additional phone interviews with NY. Everyone including managers asked specific programming questions. Each step took several days to a couple of weeks to set up the interviews and then a long wait to find out whether I was successful and ready for the next step. I was concerned about the open office system with ~50 engineers in a single room with 2 monitors each side by side. That would have been hard to get used to vs. my current situation. There are sharp engineers doing some interesting.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2014.

Interview

Started with a call from HR asking basic questions about salary and why I'm looking for work, then they set up another phone interview with a member of the hiring team. The 2nd phone call went well, they asked general java questions around APIs and testing frameworks, also quizzed on general database knowledge like what to do when you get encounter a slow query.

I then went to the office for a 2 - 3 hour interview. It started with a 1 hour written exam covering basic web app development, sql queries, java and OO design. After that I sat with 4 different team members for around 30 minutes each. Questions ranged from basic finance questions to advanced java and database questions.

For java questions - know your hasmaps and multiple threads
    For database questions - know what do do about slow queries, different kinds of indexes and how they function, different joins and where clauses.

Overall I did alright during the interview, but the more I sat there the more I though how this is not a place I'd want to work. If you love finance and are looking to make good money sitting in a cube, this could be for you. If you could care less about finance and want to develop with the newest, funnest technologies, in an engaging atmosphere, I'd look elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• How do clustered sequences work? How does the database optimize or cache queries and/or stored procedures?   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Internal Recruiter contacted me at LinkedIn.
    I had two screening interviews: one phone and one with Bluejeans at around 2 weeks interval. Very slow process..

Everything seem very easy but after a long time, they mailed me, they are moving with another candidates. :)

Interview Questions

• The phone interview was purely technical and it went very well.
      It was around basic Java, multi threading, OO concepts, database, algorithms, Java collections,..etc.
      This one went very well.

The next BlueJeans Video interview was just behavioral and everything seem went very well.
      All the questions they asked were very simple ones.
      e.g. how you approach a problem, and they tried to dive deep following my answer to one question and tried to explore my behavioral, technical skills.   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in August 2010.

Interview

Initial 30 minutes phone interview where the hiring manager asked things about my projects and my motivations etc. and then I was called for face-to-face interview. I had three rounds (1 Technical, 1 Financial related, 1 puzzle). I didn't have any previous experience in Financial domain so I did not do the Financial round well.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in March 2010.

Interview

The process consisted of approximately 7 sets of intervies starting from the general team-leader staff and progressing onto the senior management staff in the division.
    The interviews were very direct and required thoughtful answers. The management appeared to be friendly and considerate.

Interview Questions

• How did you manage your overseas team. What problems did you face? How did you carry out the knowledge transfers.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Process|
    1 Two telephonic rounds
    2. Four on spot interviews and a written test.

Topics

Java core java, they are interested in checking the basics.
    Concurrency if you claim to know
    Puzzles. Simple puzzles.
    DataStructures trees etc but not graphs.
    SQL

Interviews were moderate,

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated for compensating for my loss of bonus.