Goldman Sachs Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 24, 2017

3.6

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by in-house recruiter. After establishing interest, I did a technical phone screen with a hiring manager. It was a pretty typical C++ screen. After that I was brought on-site to interview with two different teams.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to design an alerting framework for a trading system.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied online for different positions and got an initial HR call, basic questions about experience and technologies I know. Why looking for a job change and why GS

Technical Phone screen with two different managers of different teams, actually they are vice presidents, looked them up on linkedin

I haven't heard back from them yet, posting this hoping it will be helpful to someone interviewing
    team: Equity tools team

Interview Questions

• 1. Difference between Thread and Process
      2. Mvn:install and mvn:package difference
      3. Why use Jenkins
      4. MongoDB- if its in your resume - find an employee document in a collection
      5. thread creation Java
      6. Different types of joins and examples
      7. Gave a sample code in online editor and asked to check if the given number is pow of 10. edge cases, boundary values for testing
      8. Virtual in java
      9. SQL to query first 3 rows from DB.
      10. Unix Grep and is grep case sensitive?
      11. unix get first 10 lines or last 10 lines of file   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2014.

Interview

The interview process is very rigorous and intense. After the initial phone screen, I interviewed with 18 different people over 3 different in person interview sessions at the office.

Once I had the offer, it took 6 weeks to get through background checks (which was also rigorous) before I could start work.

Interview Questions

• If you were to design Amazon's algorithm for "suggestions" how would you do it and what things would you take into consideration?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

Contacted for a phone interview. Was asked about java and my understanding of multithreading and concurrency. Was also asked 2 problem solving questions. This was the first interview. I was able to do well enough for a second. This interview was similar to the first but lasted longer. Asked about Java and problem solving questions.

Interview Questions

• Given an nxn matrix of numbers in ascending order in both dimensions how would you go about finding if the number y is in the matrix.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2012.

Interview

I had a phone interview and then brought into the office for in person interviews. It wasn't a panel but rather a series of smaller interviews with different developers.

Interview Questions

• About databases   1 Answer
    • If I would be okay learning their proprietary language   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very long. They had to pass it up the chain to a board in New York and that took a month of waiting.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2010.

Interview

I had seven or eight phone interviews - all technical - with different Engineers and managers. Then I had interviews one day of 1:1 interviews in their offices in SLC.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No, there is little/no room for negotiation, their offer will be strongly based on your last compensation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2010.

Interview

The resume is on core java and java threads. Then he switched to my resume and started asking about my contribution in each of the projects I listed in detail.
    It lasted for 40 mins. Then he said If I am shortlisted I will be called for a f2f interview.
    its been 2 weeks but haven't received any confirmation yet.

Interview Questions

• How to prevent livelocks in java threading   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in October 2009.

Interview

The interview consists of two main parts. The first is a skills assessment test. It was pretty straight forward, but not a lot of time to complete everything. The second part consists of interviews with three different people.

The questions asked at the interview primarily revolve around your experience and they finish with one or two problem type questions. Every single problem question revolved around algorithms with arrays, and not STL arrays. Just generic language independent algorithms to solve a problem.

I was disappointed with the interview process. The people there seem stressed out and are very focused. They also didn't know what position I was interviewing for or anything about it, so they couldn't answer any of my questions about it. Since they use a proprietary language, I was also told C++ wouldn't be useful either. When leaving the interview, expect to feel like you've been kicked out the door, very informal.

Interview Questions

• How do you find 2 missing elements in an array of consecutive integers that are not sorted who's size is N-2.   7 Answers
    • How do you calculate weighted averages?   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2009.

Interview

I was interviewed first via the phone and was asked pretty basic questions about Java Garbage collections and junit testing. After that had 4 1:1 30 minutes interviews and was asked questions which were more scenario based and also on optimization, performance management and general system architecture.
    But did not get an offer after 2 weeks wait time.

Interview Questions

• What is the concurrent mark-sweep alogirthm for garbage collection?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bengaluru (India)) in July 2017.

Interview

Consultancy guy called me and processed my profile. They told me that they dont have any JD about the vacancy. After a week I got a mail from GS for with a link to an online assessment,
    1)Online Coding Assesment- 2 Questions
    2) Telephonic coding Interview - WhiteBoard Interview ( 2 Questions)

Interview Questions

• Online Assessment
      1) Forgot the Exact Question
      2) Given a String and a key to it. Asked to encode and decode the String based on that.

White Board Interview Questions(Most of the code and Testcases will appear, you have to complete a method)
      1) A robot can move in 4 directions. 'U' - UP, 'D' - DOWN, 'L'- LEFT, 'R'-RIGHT. Ignore all teh other. The position of the robot can be identified by array[x][y]. Please completed the method which returns the final position of the robot.
      private static Integer[][] findIndex(String testCase){
      return new Integer[0][0];
      }

Here the testcase contains the characters like 'ULLLDDUU STRULR';
      2) A child climbing stairs which has N number of Steps. To add fun to it child can climb 1 or 2 or 3 at a time. Find the number of ways the child can climb the N number of steps?   Answer Question