Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Goldman Sachs

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in August 2019.

Interview

First round:
Coder Pad interview of two problem, the guy was very nice and was barely there, he told me to pretend if Am walking on my office and run the test all the time you want.

1) what is the second smallest integer in the an int array.
      I did a iteration keeping track of the smallest and second smallest.

2) find the minimum sum of integer equal or less to a number.
      I was struggling a little with this and when he saw I was stuck on it, he gave me a hint on
      how to approach the problem. Time ran out and he gave me 5 extract minutes and I got
      it to work.

I got an email from hr like 2 weeks later that the want to continue with the process for an onsite interview with different team in the bank.

My onsite experience was not as pleasant as my coder pad, the more senior guy were more easy and fun to talk to but the more junior guy were very arrogant and didn't felt like doing the interview at all.

Onsite:
Round 1: Nothing much an introduction of yourself and a leetcode problem.
                    Occurrences of substring in a string.
Round 2: leetcode
                    Sort array of strings by size.
Round 3: Tell me the must challenging project you work on and leetcode of two string, one is rotate, return true if rotate.

Round 4: Tell me the most challenging project you work on again. Have you have any nontechnical problem , how do you came about it.

Round 5: DS question.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

Horrible! I still get nightmare because of it. Goldman Sachs is a reputable organization and they need to know that their employees, every single one of them, represent the company. Before you can work there, before you can really know what they do, you have to go through their interviewing process and it's extremely important that they give a good impression to the candidates. Their employees are essentially the ambassador of the company. Unfortunately, I had a horrible experience with my interviewer whose name I shall not mention here. She was condescending and just straight out rude. How is anyone supposed to code and solve any problem when they are consistently challenged at every line? "What on Earth are you doing?" "Do you even know what Math.floor() does?" "Why are you doing this, do you understand the question at all?" These questions were so distracting. The questions to me were actually quite straightforward, but 10 minutes in I had already given up due to such terrible impression. It's very distasteful and quite unfortunate. I still hold Goldman Sachs to a high esteem, but I doubt I'll be applying there again any time soon.

Interview Questions

• My questions were very specified, I can't share them here to hide my profile.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in December 2009.

Interview

Was contacted on LinkedIn to fill position in software development group focused on trade optimization strategies. Extremely high skillset in group, very "algorithmically literate" with a focus on functional programming, mathematics, highly parallel computation.

The compensation plan for developers is similar to that of traders: a small base (by New York standards), with a very significant variable bonus.

Interview Questions

• Describe the basics of the lambda calculus and type theory underlying languages such as Lisp and Haskell.   1 Answer
    • Write a program which performs Newton's Method to approximate the root of an arbitrary function.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2009.

Interview

My phone interview was brutal -- asked me lots of technical questions about everything on my resume. I wasted time before the in person interviews studying up on intricacies on java: runtime complexity, obscure data structures, and all of the classical "trick" programming questions... which turned out to be a waste. The skills test convered Java, Perl, SQL and Unix, but was ridiculously simple. There were no trick questions, just the basics of each topic. The interviews were standard interview questions, followed by lots of proselytizing about the "culture" of GS.

Interview Questions

• Write a method to calculate the cubic root of a number to 3 decimal places.   Answer Question

The pay didn't seem worth the amount of stress. Everyone kept telling me how "intense" it was to work there and repeatedly asking if I was willing to work lots of late nights and weekends. For such an "intense" environment, the pay sucked. They tried to offset that by promising ambiguous bonuses, but how can you trust something that's not quantified?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in September 2009.

Interview

Three very friendly interviewer asked questions about projects and technology.
    Some of the questions:
    - Given hour and minute, write a function to calculate an angle between hour/minute hand.
    - How to reverse linked list
    - How would you design instant messaging software.

Interview Questions

• Find depth of the binary tree?
      How would you insert an element in sorted array   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2008.

Interview

The interview consisted of an phone interview and a day long interview process.

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in June 2010.

Interview

You are expected to have solid programming and database knowledge. They test you most on your logical thinking skills. I also had a few algorithm questions and was asked to write pseudo-code for the same. Overall, it was a difficult but fruitful experience.

Interview Questions

• algorithm to traverse binary tree   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in July 2010.

Interview

I was asked mainly about my past work experience, there were no technical questions at all. Also I was asked about interest in career development. I think the interviewer was trying see how I would fit in. I am very doubtful about the effectiveness of this kind of interview. In the end, there were no further on-site interview, I was not exactly sure what the reason was.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked with other developers remotely?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2010.

Interview

My interview was part of a recruiting event that consisted of a set of presentations on a Thursday night, followed by interviews all day Friday starting at 9 a.m. I was there until 4:30 p.m. and had 9 interviews (3 each for 3 different groups). The middle group was in the NYC office, while the other two were in the Jersey City office. 3 of the 9 interviews were with two people; the rest were one-on-one.

Of the 9 interviewers, almost all asked technical questions. They were all C++/Java focused (they allowed me to pick which language to answer for) and the usual expected questions - what data structures to use in certain scenarios, writing pseudo code for example problems, etc. All SQL questions were extremely easy, involving only inner joins on a single field. I was also asked to describe in detail the algorithms and data structures used to create me projects at previous internships.

One of the interviewers grilled me on teamwork experience, how I dealt with bad team mates before, etc. Pretty sure he didn't like me, but that's the beauty of having 8 other interviewers.

One of the interviewers did exclusively logic/trick questions. The ones supposed to be designed to see how you "approach the problem". I forget the first question but I had read the same question on a site the night before and so I feigned concentration and subsequent "aha" before answering. The second question was one I'd never heard before, and I didn't know how to approach it. She gave me a hint, but that still didn't help, so then she gave a second hint and I was able to solve it; she gave a follow-up question, and since I knew the approach I was able to do it in 10 seconds. I personally don't see the value in these types of questions since they are usually trick questions that you'll never get unless you've heard it before.

Overall, I would say I felt like I answered about 75-85% good enough. During the process, I was constantly told that there was not an expectation for me to know every answer, that they were just trying to poke around and understand the breadth and depth of my knowledge. Every interviewer except for the one who grilled me on the team work was very polite and I felt comfortable and non-threatened by their questions. I wasn't afraid to be wrong, and I got the sense that they almost wanted to see me succeed. It was overall a very positive experience. Honestly I wasn't expected an offer because I didn't think 75-85% was good enough for this company, but I apparently made a good impression since I got offers from all three of the groups.

Interview Questions

• How to remove a node from a singly-linked list when only given the pointer to the node   6 Answers
    • I was asked to describe an efficient string searching algorithms   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation possible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2010.

Interview

Was interviewed by 8 different people. Basically about Java skills and Linux knowledge.