Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 8, 2018

3.2

106 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

First of all, they would ask something about your background. And then ask you your preference on programming language, and you will be completing an Online Assessment. They ask you to speak to them and tell them your solutions on the case while you are writing codes.

Interview Questions

• How to get the second smallest number from an array   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I got the coding challenge quickly after I applied online two weeks ago. The coding challenge is pretty easy: 2 problems given 1 hour. But no further updates since then.

Interview Questions

• 1. IsAnagram
      2. Count unique substring of length k   7 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Applied online. Got technical assessment the same week. Got hirevue 2 days after I passed the technical assessment and had to complete in 48 hours. Awaiting to hear if I'm going to make it to superday!

Interview Questions

• Look through array to find pairs that sum to k   2 Answers
    • Reverse words in this sentence   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Kansas City, MO) in November 2017.

Interview

I was attending the 2017 SHPE conference so I was invited to apply for an engineering role with Goldman prior to the conference so that I may be interviewed once I got there. I was sent a HackRank test which was pretty easy so was scheduled a 45 minute interview.

Once I got to the conference, I was interviewed and was asked medium to easy difficulty questions in the interview. I enjoyed my interview at this point and was beginning to consider a role with Goldman.

Once I left the interview, I was emailed by the recruiter that the engineers liked me and would like me to come back to chat with a few more engineers. And that if I was unable to come back same day, I could just meet and chat with them at a Hospitality Suite (which is a relaxed casual environment held in the evening). Thinking that this was just something casual, I decided I could just go back same day to the interview booths and chat.

Once I got back, I chatted with one engineer who seemed interested in me and what my interests in Goldman would be. Good chat. Then he suggested I meet another engineer. The other engineer came in and asked if I wanted to do any technical questions. At this point I was thinking this was supposed to be just a casual "get to know me" type thing, but couldn't hurt to do a couple technical problems for fun? He began asking me pretty difficult problems out of the blue, and I was struggling to come up with clean answers on the spot. I had no idea this was going to be part of the "chat." He basically ended up "technically interviewing" me for over an hour! I suppose because I couldn't do well in his idea of a casual chat, he suggested to the others not to move forward with me.

I just felt like I got screwed over on the spot because I could have easily decided not to return same day, casually chatted at the hospitality suite, and prepared adequately for a real technical interview later on. It was totally spontaneous and wasn't ready to give it my best shot after a long day of conference and other interviews.

A recruiter called me about a week later telling me they decided not to move forward with me but if I wanted to reconsider roles with Goldman in the future to reach out. I thanked her for her time and she seemed a little taken back that I didn't ask any follow-up questions.

I don't think I'll ever consider a role there in the future and will employ my friends the same because of this weird process that had me go through.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2017.

Interview

The first interview was a phone coder pad interview. The questions were not very difficult. At first I introduced my self. Then I was asked some questions about OOD. Then I wrote codes for two programming questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I am writing this with immense pain and frustration with the way my interview was conducted over last month. To say that the whole exercise was an ordeal and appeared a farce would be an understatement.
    I will try to walk you through the entire experience so that people are aware.

1) Interviewer was (or at least appeared ) biased towards MS program. He\She made multiple remarks which seemed to give away the notion that he had a prejudice towards the students.

2) Inexplicable delay: My interview process started on DATE and went till DATE. During this period, there were times when there was no communication on the status and I was left to wander, if my candidature was being processed at all. I really don’t think that a respected and professional organization, should have such substandard outreach towards prospective employees.

3) Finally, my candidature was rejected and I was told that my skill set don’t match the requirement. Again, this seems nothing but a blatant disregard to common professional practices. My resume was vetted and selected based on the requirement. My interview too, was conducted for the same. I had a very good interaction and I was called for multiple rounds(to be very precise 6 interviews) based on my performance. Then how can, after all the time and effort I invested in this process, I be told that my skills are not the one that they need? If my answers were dis satisfactory, then same should have been communicated to me.

I decided to bring this to your notice as I was really excited and looking forward to working with the esteemed organization, or so i thought. Even at the least, I considered it to be a true test of my mettle. What ensued was a bitter and distressing experience to say the least. An organization, that prides itself on extreme high quality of Employee satisfaction, cannot be expected to have such low standard hiring process. I do understand that this only represents my side of story and hence will be biased.

Finally what disappointed me the most was not the result of the interview but the whole process itself. I expected more standards out of such a big organization but the standards they displayed were so low that I am happy not to be a part of this organization.

Interview Questions

• Find the second largest number in the array.   4 Answers

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Cambridge, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

I took hackerrank and hirevue assessments, didn't hear back. There were some tricky probability questions in the hackerrank math portion, but the programming was easy. I would say it's kind of tough to make it past the digital stage if you don't have a good resume or something to help you stand out.

Interview Questions

• Return the second-smallest element of a list.   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

A local recruiter scheduled me for a phone interview with a coding session on CoderPad. The phone interviewer was nice and he he asked me about my background. Unfortunately, the coding question he asked me seemed more suited for a fresh college graduate than for someone experienced like me. I immediately recognized that I could not do this problem on the interview, and so I declined politely. This brought us to the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Implement a BST with the methods `put(t)`, `contains(t)` and `in_order_traversal`. Get the failing unit tests to pass.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online first and then got a hacker rank coding challenge. The questions were extremely easy and not even tricky, except had tricky test cases. I couldn't clear one test case and hence couldn't move forward.

Interview Questions

• There was a question related to simple understanding of manipulating strings.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2017.

Interview

Positive experience with general behavior questions. Asked about general machine learning background and what related project I have done. What machine learning algorithm I have learned and which one is my favorite.