Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 14, 2017

3.2

94 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I am writing this with immense pain and frustration with the way my interview was conducted over last month. To say that the whole exercise was an ordeal and appeared a farce would be an understatement.
I will try to walk you through the entire experience so that people are aware.

1) Interviewer was (or at least appeared ) biased towards MS program. He\She made multiple remarks which seemed to give away the notion that he had a prejudice towards the students.

2) Inexplicable delay: My interview process started on DATE and went till DATE. During this period, there were times when there was no communication on the status and I was left to wander, if my candidature was being processed at all. I really don’t think that a respected and professional organization, should have such substandard outreach towards prospective employees.

3) Finally, my candidature was rejected and I was told that my skill set don’t match the requirement. Again, this seems nothing but a blatant disregard to common professional practices. My resume was vetted and selected based on the requirement. My interview too, was conducted for the same. I had a very good interaction and I was called for multiple rounds(to be very precise 6 interviews) based on my performance. Then how can, after all the time and effort I invested in this process, I be told that my skills are not the one that they need? If my answers were dis satisfactory, then same should have been communicated to me.

I decided to bring this to your notice as I was really excited and looking forward to working with the esteemed organization, or so i thought. Even at the least, I considered it to be a true test of my mettle. What ensued was a bitter and distressing experience to say the least. An organization, that prides itself on extreme high quality of Employee satisfaction, cannot be expected to have such low standard hiring process. I do understand that this only represents my side of story and hence will be biased.

Finally what disappointed me the most was not the result of the interview but the whole process itself. I expected more standards out of such a big organization but the standards they displayed were so low that I am happy not to be a part of this organization.

Interview Questions

• Find the second largest number in the array.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

A local recruiter scheduled me for a phone interview with a coding session on CoderPad. The phone interviewer was nice and he he asked me about my background. Unfortunately, the coding question he asked me seemed more suited for a fresh college graduate than for someone experienced like me. I immediately recognized that I could not do this problem on the interview, and so I declined politely. This brought us to the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Implement a BST with the methods `put(t)`, `contains(t)` and `in_order_traversal`. Get the failing unit tests to pass.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2017.

Interview

Positive experience with general behavior questions. Asked about general machine learning background and what related project I have done. What machine learning algorithm I have learned and which one is my favorite.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in July 2017.

Interview

After a live coding challenge using CoderPen, I came in for a three-hour on-site interview with four different interviewers. They concentrated only a little on technical questions and more on diving into the projects I'd worked on, what decisions I'd made on those projects, and why.

Interview Questions

• How to fashion a SQL query to connect the departures and arrivals of boarding passes to make one contiguous journey.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

It was a technical interview through screen sharing. First, walk me through your resume, tell me about your projects. And there were many technical concepts questions. After that coding.
    The interviewer was really nice and she tried to comfort me throughout the process since I was really nervous. Even if I didn't get an offer it was a valuable experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted over the phone by the HR.
    I was scheduled a technical telephonic interview next week.
    My Interview was taken by a Asian guy, who's main concentration was on coding skills.

Interview Questions

• I introduced myself.
      He jumped to coding question :
      First question : Given a sorted array which has been rotated k times , need to find k?
      Second Question : Given a binary tree find the maximum sum from leaf to leaf?
      THird Question : Same as Second now i need to optimize it to work from any node to node?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

It was a coding challenge. I got an email with an attached pdf and I had 2 hours to write the code in Python, C++ or Java. I didn't hear back anything and after a week I emailed them to ask about the results, and someone called me and said they didn't hire me.

Interview Questions

• The email said we have tried to be clear in our problem statement but feel free to email me if you have any questions. We expect you to finish the problem in 2 hours.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got into the technical online test. After that is the online video interview, which was mostly behavior questions. It asked to answer for 2 minutes with 30 sec to prepare before each question.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2016.

Interview

I sent in my resume to online portal, heard back a couple days later with a HackerRank challenge. There were two questions, the first one was easier and the second a little harder. Did not pass or hear back.

Interview Questions

• A kid wants to travel up n steps. She can only go 1, 2 or 3 steps at a time. How many different ways can she get to the nth step?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ).

Interview

First round was on campus and then after a week I got call for an onsite interview. There were two interview with two people in each panel.
    Both the interviews were mixed, technical + behavioural

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to Reverse Linked.
      Basics of JAVA