Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

It was a coding challenge. I got an email with an attached pdf and I had 2 hours to write the code in Python, C++ or Java. I didn't hear back anything and after a week I emailed them to ask about the results, and someone called me and said they didn't hire me.

Interview Questions

• The email said we have tried to be clear in our problem statement but feel free to email me if you have any questions. We expect you to finish the problem in 2 hours.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got into the technical online test. After that is the online video interview, which was mostly behavior questions. It asked to answer for 2 minutes with 30 sec to prepare before each question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ).

Interview

First round was on campus and then after a week I got call for an onsite interview. There were two interview with two people in each panel.
    Both the interviews were mixed, technical + behavioural

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to Reverse Linked.
      Basics of JAVA
      Past project experience
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

First a few questions on the resume, talks about past experience, a few questions on projects, why choose this method, what did you do, etc. Then some general CS concept questions, algorithm questions. Then questions for the interviewer. He ended up sharing with me his career path which is really helpful even though I did not get into the next round.

Interview Questions

• What is Object Oriented programming? What is the difference between OO and process oriented?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

i applied from university career fair, and got interview in a week. behavioral interview, asked about questions related to resume. and another question on who is your idol. Nothing related to computer science asked.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2016.

Interview

Three telephonic round and one on campus round. The on campus itself had 3 rounds. The telephonic rounds included more data structures questions and big O notation. Few DBMS questions. Overall easy.
    The first round interviewer went through my resume. He asked about basic java questions and on Spring MVC related questions. Later it was more on general algorithmic questions.

Interview Questions

• Given a 8x8 chess board what is the cumulative probability that next move will fall in the chess board. The interviewer was very helpful.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume at school career fair and had an on-campus interview followed by an on-site. Each had 2 back-to-back interviews. I was asked about resume and to write a couple of simple programming questions on paper. People were professional and very friendly. There was also a tour after the on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Why would you choose Goldman Sachs over other technology firms?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in October 2015.

Interview

Standard interviews. A couple phone calls and an onsite with 4 rounds. Asked a few programming questions and asked about my experience. Total time took about a month to complete.

Interview Questions

• Some programming questions and asked about my experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Provo, UT) in September 2015.

Interview

Back-to-back. First one was okay second was terrible. They asked some technical and behavioral questions. This was just for an internship in Salt Lake City. The technical problems weren't hard. One was about SQL and then a class diagram. The other question was a programming logic question that was super easy but I froze up in the interview. I had terrible chemistry with my interviewer so that may have been part of it, but that is luck of the draw not Goldman necessarily.

Interview Questions

• If you were taking a test and found it online what would you do?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Was flown to NY, had a 3-4 hour interview with more than 5 people. Been in the industry a few years already, and the questions ranged from the pretty easy to the impossibly hard. As a general rule, if it's on your resume, they're expecting you to know the material cold. Bonus points for being able to explain the material coherently. If it's not on your resume, they didn't seem to get bothered when replying that you weren't sure.

While this was the most difficult interview I've ever had, it definitely wasn't easy. The interviewers all seemed to genuinely love working for Goldman, and honestly acknowledged the workload is not as easy as a 9-5, which was a big sell to me. Seemed that all the interviewers genuinely loved working with their coworkers, which is something I had never seen before.

Interview Questions

• Write a sorting algorithm out by hand   1 Answer