Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 18, 2017

3.2

91 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied to goldman sachs recently. First round was online test with 2 questions I solved both questions. After that got a call from HR regrading coder pad interview. Again after some time was contacted by HR who told that feedback was positive and they want to conduct onsite interview and confirmed the same through mail. After some time again got a call from HR that interview is reviewed again and I have not cleared the code pad interview. Interviewer was friendly and helpful but management was not at all professional. With the reputed name like goldman sachs this kind of behaviour and uncertainty is not expected.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I am writing this with immense pain and frustration with the way my interview was conducted over last month. To say that the whole exercise was an ordeal and appeared a farce would be an understatement.
    I will try to walk you through the entire experience so that people are aware.

1) Interviewer was (or at least appeared ) biased towards MS program. He\She made multiple remarks which seemed to give away the notion that he had a prejudice towards the students.

2) Inexplicable delay: My interview process started on DATE and went till DATE. During this period, there were times when there was no communication on the status and I was left to wander, if my candidature was being processed at all. I really don’t think that a respected and professional organization, should have such substandard outreach towards prospective employees.

3) Finally, my candidature was rejected and I was told that my skill set don’t match the requirement. Again, this seems nothing but a blatant disregard to common professional practices. My resume was vetted and selected based on the requirement. My interview too, was conducted for the same. I had a very good interaction and I was called for multiple rounds(to be very precise 6 interviews) based on my performance. Then how can, after all the time and effort I invested in this process, I be told that my skills are not the one that they need? If my answers were dis satisfactory, then same should have been communicated to me.

I decided to bring this to your notice as I was really excited and looking forward to working with the esteemed organization, or so i thought. Even at the least, I considered it to be a true test of my mettle. What ensued was a bitter and distressing experience to say the least. An organization, that prides itself on extreme high quality of Employee satisfaction, cannot be expected to have such low standard hiring process. I do understand that this only represents my side of story and hence will be biased.

Finally what disappointed me the most was not the result of the interview but the whole process itself. I expected more standards out of such a big organization but the standards they displayed were so low that I am happy not to be a part of this organization.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New Delhi (India)) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview had basically data structures and algorithm questions, puzzles and situational questions. They also ask the questions that you could not complete in the aptitude test . Various approaches to a particular problem is checked.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted over the phone by the HR.
    I was scheduled a technical telephonic interview next week.
    My Interview was taken by a Asian guy, who's main concentration was on coding skills.

Interview Questions

• I introduced myself.
      He jumped to coding question :
      First question : Given a sorted array which has been rotated k times , need to find k?
      Second Question : Given a binary tree find the maximum sum from leaf to leaf?
      THird Question : Same as Second now i need to optimize it to work from any node to node?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2017.

Interview

I got this mail from my friend which says about the requirement in Goldman Sachs. So, I applied and got a link to a hackerrank test which contains two simple questions which I did in 20 minutes I guess. After 4-5 days I received a mail saying you are selected for further interview process and you need to go for a technical interview on coderpad the next day. So, I got prepared for that. The very next day I received a call which said to get ready for interview in next ten minutes. So, I logged in to coderpad and waited for interview to start but guess what no one showed up till next two hours. I wasted my time waiting for interview to start. When I mailed Goldman Sachs about it then they didn't bother to reply to that.
    This behaviour is not expected from a company like this. Hope HR from Goldman read this and reply here if they can.

Interview Questions

• a question on dynamic programming and other on hashmap.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

A local recruiter scheduled me for a phone interview with a coding session on CoderPad. The phone interviewer was nice and he he asked me about my background. Unfortunately, the coding question he asked me seemed more suited for a fresh college graduate than for someone experienced like me. I immediately recognized that I could not do this problem on the interview, and so I declined politely. This brought us to the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Implement a BST with the methods `put(t)`, `contains(t)` and `in_order_traversal`. Get the failing unit tests to pass.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bengaluru (India)).

Interview

The interview was at our college during our placement season. Hailing from a non-CS branch, the interviewers went a bit easy on me. The interviewers were very warm in their approach and didn't make me feel uncomfortable. The overall interview process was very punctual and no-nonsense type. Though I didn't get an offer, the interview experience didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I suggest reading through some common interview puzzles before going into the interview

Interview Questions

• String manipulation problems by reducing time complexity, space complexity and both at the same time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2016.

Interview

I sent in my resume to online portal, heard back a couple days later with a HackerRank challenge. There were two questions, the first one was easier and the second a little harder. Did not pass or hear back.

Interview Questions

• A kid wants to travel up n steps. She can only go 1, 2 or 3 steps at a time. How many different ways can she get to the nth step?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)).

Interview

7 inderviews during a whole day. All interviewers were very nice and helpful, more conversations and less tests. Each person interviewed me according to their own specialization, and they gave me the impression that failing at their questions doesn't necessarily mean I failed the interview, which helped me a lot to remain motivated all along, even after failing at some answers.

Interview Questions

• You’ve got a 10 x 10 x 10 cube made up of 1 x 1 x 1 smaller cubes. You drop the cube and the whole outer layer of cubes fell off. How many cubes are left in the big cube?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allahabad (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Allahabad (India)) in July 2017.

Interview

1st Round was the online test. 5 MCQ questions and 2 Programming questions. Both basic level.
    2. Round 2 was f2f interview. They asked about the 2 programming questions from the previous round. Then they asked about the projects and then java basics.