Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Aug 6, 2017

3.4

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)).

Interview

7 inderviews during a whole day. All interviewers were very nice and helpful, more conversations and less tests. Each person interviewed me according to their own specialization, and they gave me the impression that failing at their questions doesn't necessarily mean I failed the interview, which helped me a lot to remain motivated all along, even after failing at some answers.

Interview Questions

• You’ve got a 10 x 10 x 10 cube made up of 1 x 1 x 1 smaller cubes. You drop the cube and the whole outer layer of cubes fell off. How many cubes are left in the big cube?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

Two rounds, first one is one person, second round is two. Ask some technical and financial questions. Not difficult but require some basic financial knowledge, not much technical question, mainly just chatting.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)).

Interview

2 stages of interviews. Each stage consists of 3 sets of interviews. Mostly interviewing with the team you are applying for. It was fairly quick process. A week to get a call from HR, a week to set up the first stage of interview. They proceeded with the next stage and it was a week after. In a week, they told me their decision.

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions related to experiences I listed on my resume   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in April 2012.

Interview

I had about 8 interviews. No kidding

Interview Questions

• You are given two eggs, and access to a 100-storey building. Both eggs are identical. The aim is to find out the highest floor from which an egg will not break when dropped out of a window from that floor. If an egg is dropped and does not break, it is undamaged and can be dropped again. However, once an egg is broken, that’s it for that egg.

If an egg breaks when dropped from floor n, then it would also have broken from any floor above that. If an egg survives a fall, then it will survive any fall shorter than that.

The question is: What strategy should you adopt to minimize the number egg drops it takes to find the solution?. (And what is the worst case for the number of drops it will take?)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in January 2011.

Interview

Be yourself and do not fall into the trap of provocation

Interview Questions

• Assuming you have a large cube shaped by small cubes together, their number is 1000
      How many cubes will be visible?   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in May 2010.

Interview

I saw three people: one for a logic problem / analytical thinking test, another for a C++ technical test, and a third for a review of my CV.

The first two sessions went really well, the third was a disaster. I was asked the same question repeatedly, despite my making clear that the answer required in-depth business knowledge that I never claimed to have. I said I was ready and willing to learn, but I couldn't give answers off the top of my head on a subject about which I know little, that others have spent a university career learning.

Most of the people I met (on this and other occasions) were great to meet - this last guy was on an ego trip and ruined my opinion of his firm.

Interview Questions

• Describe the Black-Sholes model.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in February 2008.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview which covered some very specific questions regarding design patterns, principles and testing methodologies. During the phone interview I was also asked a brainteaser which was very difficult and the interviewer did in fact say that nobody ever solves it. It was more to get an idea of how you would solve a problem.

I didn't think it went well, but got asked to attend a face to face interview. Actually, it turned out to be three face to face interviews. Firstly, a technical guy asking lots of questions about previous architecture and design experience and implementations. Also, some SQL questions relating to index (Clustered, non-clustered) that sort of thing.

Secondly, met with a potential member of the team that I would be working with. This was the most pleasant interview of the lot as it wasn't as in your face and trying to grill you.

Thirdly, the manager overseeing the EU/ Asia development teams. Again, someone who wanted to discredit everything you say with his superior knowledge and experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about designing a car?   Answer Question
    • Clustered, non- clustered indexes in sql server architecture   1 Answer