Goldman Sachs Technical Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs Technical Analyst Interview Questions

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

I first handed my resume to a Goldman Sachs HR Representative when she came to campus for an information session. The session was basically about career opportunities in the company that did not have much to do with finance. Several weeks later, I was contacted via email to select a time for a phone interview.

The phone interview was behavioral and personal fact based. Things like Why Goldman Sachs? I had those prepared and it was fairly generic. I was then contacted to attend an onsite interview. I thought it was going to last seven or eight hours, but I was told at the beginning of the day that such is the case only if you're being considered for multiple teams. I was only considered for one team.

There were three interviews, one of them were 2:1. I interviewed with two VP level employees and the rest were associates or analysts. The questions asked were for the most part data structure and algorithms questions. After clearing those portions out, I was told to discuss my favorite sorting algorithms and design patterns and was told to write a simple implementation of both. There was also one interviewer who asked me to write some SQL, which turned out to be the most difficult part of the interview. It bums me out that there were no behavioral questions after the "Why Goldman Sachs" crap.

Interview Questions

• Show me an optimized query for identifying the circular references between field x and y.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2010.

Interview

The technical interviews were very practical. The questions asked in C++/SQL were not theory, but some practical problems. One of the best challenging interview I had. A total of 3 telephonic technical interviews based on C++/SQL and general aptitude.
    All this was followed by in-person interviews (4 in number). The interview process being one of the best.

Interview Questions

• We have a string "Hello How are you".

How do you efficiently reverse the words to "you are how hello". Using std data structures.
      Answer Question
    • What happens if you do a 'this = this". And what happens when u call delete this from a destr?   Answer Question

I was told during final interview with Manager and Sr Mgr that I have to be on my toes always. I have to get the right attitude to work.
    The above statements are real nice one, but if someone is telling you these at the time of interview, then you gotta read between the lines. So, once I got the offer, I had done my research based on personal contacts in GS and thru Glass Door as well.
    I decided to decline this offer, because I am not the one, who can sell my life hours for money. I wanted a challenging role, but am not ready to spend more than 40-45 hrs a week for my career.
    A job at GS meant - I had to forget my regular fitness regime, my hobbies, the time I spend with my daughter, and the frequent time offs I take for leisure travel.

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

After the initial behavior round at my University I was called for the Superday at New York. I had only one team who wanted to interview me. Three members would interview you separately.

Interview Questions

• Write a code for Dijkstra's shortest path algorithm.   1 Answer
    • Why Goldman Sachs?   1 Answer
    • some situation at work or project which brought out leaderhip qualities.   Answer Question

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2011.

Interview

My interview was quite technical rather than behavioral, which the first interview intend to be. After the introduction they had given me a string and asked to write a program to reverse it. I did that, then they ask to write a program that can reverse any string. I did that, after that they ask if the input is null string then how the program should be changed. I suggested that. Then they have given me 2 arrays of 1 to 1000 in random order and then they want me to find out if a number is added how can you find out the number, I had given the solution and they were really impressed by my answers and my pace as well to get to the answer. So, I had expected to get further.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to reverse any string   1 Answer

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2010.

Interview

Phone interview is the first round of the path. I actually not a very good technical person. Coding is not that good. They just ask bunch of questions all related to Java, and C++. That drive me crazy...

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2009.

Interview

i was campus hiring. There were campus interviews and on-site interview. During campus interview, I got group interview with three interviewers. It covers both technical and behavior questions, more focus on the resume. 9 rounds of on-site interview, 3 for each team, more like business and technical questions

Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bengaluru (India)) in August 2016.

Interview

First round was quantitative aptitude and one coding question.
    Next 2 rounds were technical. Technical questions were mostly DSC, Algos, OS and DBMS. They are very fond of puzzles. They asked about projects and my skills along with the above mentioned subjects.
    It was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Write a code to find if a string is a palindrome or not. Time complexity should be O(n).   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in February 2016.

Interview

My whole GS experience felt very off. I saw GS at a hackathon at my college, and they got in contact with me a few weeks after that for a phone interview. Only, the guy who was interviewing forgot to call the first time, which was frustrating. We rescheduled for a second time, and it went okay. I was asked for an in-person interview two months later; was told it would be 2 back-to-back 45 min interviews at their Jersey City office and a mingling session at their New York office. I get there, and turns out that this was the day they were interviewing ALL of their summer intern candidates at the same time. It felt really awkward sitting in a room with 15 other candidates all competing for the same job. The first interview I had, the woman had really bad breath; I sat across the table from her and could smell it. The second interview was with two men that went much better. Questions weren't too hard, in my opinion. Basic data structures questions. Once my interviews were done, GS had me and the 15 other candidates during this time period (there were more candidates that arrived for a time slot before and after me) transfer to the NY building via ferry. When we got there, the mingling session consisted of two GS employees and a bowl of M&Ms. I got alerted a couple days later that they weren't going to move forward with me in my application process. All in all, the process of applying felt fairly condescending. I didn't expect a college internship job interview to be super formal, but I expected something far less kiddy than what I got from GS.

Interview Questions

• 1) Describe how you would construct a binary tree.
      2) Explain how you would find the intersection between two collections.
      3) What projects have you done? What was your technical involvement with them?

Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I have applied online to the position of a New Analyst in Technology department, 3 days later a recruiter called me on Friday and asked to come to the interview on next Monday in the morning.
    At the interview, there were 6 applicants in total, we were given an analytical task for 30 minutes based on responsive design and allocation of boxes into the screen (be sure to know well-known display sizes, resolution). The task wasn't hard, but additional questions from the interviewer were. The man was not friendly at all and I had an impression that I have irritated him from the beginning. I didn't feel that i answered his questions, because he suggested me unexpected ways to do it: to solve the problem from the java perspective, while i prepared to do it from html5/css perspective. He did not listen to me properly and always interrupted everything i tried to say.
    The second interviewer was much better and polite, and I have gained a good impression in the end. he was friendly and smiled a lot, but he asked some questions of Goldman Sachs, which i wasn't prepared to answer. My fault. We also talked through teamwork and leadership examples, there were no unexpected questions in this area.

Interview Questions

• What should be as an input to the java method?
      What GS do in sales & trading?

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online. HR contacted me and had a brief interview: questions about past work experience, why switch? why goldman? etc. They passed along my resume to multiple teams. Heard back from 3 teams. Each team conducted an initial phone screen. It sounds juvenile, but def know everything you put on your resume. The first guy that interviewed me asked things from when I was in college (nearly 2 years ago) and I didnt remember everything for eg UNIX commands. One of the teams liked me and decided to conduct two back to back technical interviews with developers on the team (think they wanted to make sure I was good to fly me to nyc since I was out of town). Still waiting on onsite interview.

Questions from phone interviews:
    - Difference between interface and abstract class. When would you use one over the other.
    - Left join vs right join
    - what is the join on a table itself called
    - What is a spring bean - more spring type questions
    - what type of jdbc statement would you use for an sp
    - what is the sdlc process at your current firm?
    - difference between jsp and js
    - how would you find and remove a duplicate row in a table
    - why is String immutable?
    - how many hours a day do you spend coding?
    - how would access SQL from Java code
    - how would you open a db connection

Interview Questions

• Design a restaurant with people in line, waiters, tables seating system, etc using data structures + design patterns   1 Answer