Goldman Sachs Technology Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Goldman Sachs Technology Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Dec 7, 2017

162 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technology Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2012.

Interview

There was an information session about Goldman Sachs careers that was entitled something on the lines of "Beyond Banking". I went there and spoke with the representatives there about my personal projects and what I find interesting about programming. After handing them my resume, they said that they'll contact me soon. It took about two weeks for me to get scheduled for a phone interview.

The phone screening interview was purely technical, starting off from simpler concept-based questions (overriding vs overloading) and discussing the complexity of b-trees. He then asked an optimization problem about square root functions that I totally bombed. I tried thinking about it mathematically to no avail.. The interviewer gave me hints about nonmathematical approaches such as "lookup tables" but I never got around to understanding what he meant.

Interview Questions

• Describe your algorithm for writing a square root function. What is its algorithmic complexity? Optimize it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Technology Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2012.

Interview

-Online application led to a one-time superday interview.
    -Interviewed with two different groups within the Technology Division.
    -Questions were data structure and algorithms based, lots of emphasis on writing code and evaluating/improving it.
    -I felt abused by the IQ-based questions.
    -Got a call exactly one week later saying that they decided not to go forward with me.

Interview Questions

• Optimize the square root function to take values between 2 and 100,000.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Fairly straightforward, was given a video interview followed by a coding examination. Once both of these were completed, I participated in a Superday for the company. This consisted of three different interviews, followed by a networking session.

Technology Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2017.

Interview

I have cleared the hacker rank written test and attended the interview process. I never faced such a type of interview in my life. I shared my profile to recruiter. after waiting for 4 hrs also didnt get my name for interview. I asked recruiter to check my profile for 1st round of interview. They surprised and said 1st round was over to all participants. They lost my profile due to neglectfulness. The interviewer asked nothing about technical. he just asked few logical puzzles and done with interview. The interview is not easy. Its typical problem solving questions.

It was waste of full day time. Please think once you will attend the GS interview.

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Irving, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process was streamlined with a few steps. First, you start off by getting a HackerRank challenge (everyone gets's it after applying online). There are 2 questions, 45 mins total time. One of them was easy, the other one was average difficulty (a problem on Dynamic Programming). I was able to submit both the solutions, even though my second solution didn't run in all test cases (I think it was 12/15).

Then I got an email for a HireVue interview. Basic behavioral questions regarding how do you perform in teams and how to approach a problem.

Then, after a few weeks, I got invited to Superday in Irving, TX office. 2 interviews, each had 2 interviewers. The first interview had many personality questions, why GS, and an interesting puzzle/logic problem to solve (I was able to solve it). The next interview was purely technical. The question was based on managing a database and used extensive OOP concept. you should be able to code on a whiteboard, know the run-time, complexity, and ways to improve your algorithm. Overall, the interview process was fairly hard however, the interviewers were extremely helpful.

Finally, I got a call from New York, about 4 weeks after my interview (they said it would be a week or two though) saying that I got the internship. I would recommend know a language really well, do projects outside school (my past internship experience and projects were helpful during the interview), and make sure to show leadership qualities of taking over tasks and going beyond what is given to you.

Interview Questions

• Logic game: 3 boxes containing Apples, Oranges, Apples & Oranges. All boxes are labeled incorrectly. You can pick only a single fruit from only 1 box. Re-label them correctly.   1 Answer

Technology Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

The first round was a technical interview online (testing dynamic programming), candidates can choose any programming languages they like. The second interview was online recording of 5 behavioural questions and personal questions.

Interview Questions

• If your senior told you that you have not meet the criteria, what approached you will take to improve your performance?   Answer Question
    • Do you ever have to hold accountable for your group?   Answer Question
    • What’s your typical role in a group? Do you ever take on a role that is different from that? What’s your approach as a leader?   Answer Question
    • What is the time you have to make a quick decision? and what’s the result?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

First step was to make a code in Hackerrank.com
    You will have to pass 3 exercises. Most of them difficult.
    Second step they will give you a link for the "Interview". It is almost like TOEFL speaking part.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions.
      What was hard for your projects?
      What did you do with free riders in your project?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in December 2015.

Interview

Very intense interview. Started off with a phone call, and the next day, arranged a superday interview. 2 2:1 interviews. Threw a lot of questions at me at once about my resume and OOP concepts. Prepare well.

Interview Questions

• Q: Write a program that determines whether or not you're looping through a linked list.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

I had 9 interviews with 3 different teams.Two of the teams were middle office and one was front office. Most of the questions were Java related with focus on implementing some data structures and algorithms. My resume is focused on Java, C# and C++ and all the questions were based on my previous experience.

Interview Questions

• What are the differences between C++ and Java?   Answer Question
    • Reverse a queue and output it as a string   Answer Question
    • You have a linked list with a loop connecting the last element to the first. How can you detect the loop?   Answer Question
    • Insertion in a binary search tree   Answer Question
    • Delete a middle element in a singly linked list without knowing first, last, and traversing   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dhanbad (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Dhanbad (India)) in September 2016.

Interview

one online round (one coding question involving dynamic programming (1 hour),
    15 aptitude questions (30 minutes)
    coding problem was a variation of kadane's algorithm which needed to be applied on a 2 dimensional matrix

2 - technical rounds (45-60 minutes)
    1 - HR round (45 minutes)

Interview Questions

• Questions related to system design, DBMS, OS, Graph, Handling real time problems, puzzles etc.   1 Answer