Goldman Sachs Vice President Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 21, 2017

3.2

35 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2017.

Interview

Applied online through the website, contacted by a recruiter, then phone screen by recruiter, and phone call with hiring manager. Overall process was ok, but misalignment in terms of what they were looking for and skill sets.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Dallas, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

First a screening call with a HR Rep out of Texas, who interviews me for one position and also recommends me for another, which I state would be a great opportunity as well, considering I also have experience in that area of need. A week passes by, then follow up from a HR Rep out of Ohio, who appeared to be covering for another that was out of the office; scheduling a second interview with 2 VPs and Chief of Staff out of Texas. A week later, third interview scheduled for me to visit Texas and interview with 11 people (1 Managing Director, 1 Chief of Staff, and 9 VPs), all in 30min intervals. All of those seemed to go well, despite everyone in the office seeming to be rushed or hurried to get back to their work. Interviews ended early as last 3 of the interviewers were not available due to meetings/schedules. 48hrs go by, I follow up and wait 24hrs with no response. I follow up, and wait the weekend to hear back from their team the following business week. I hear back from the original HR Rep out of TX, only to be told that "based on current hiring needs, they were pausing on the recruitment for the position in which I applied". NOTE: I never hear back from the HR Reps in OH that set up the interviews with the VPs, Managing Director and Chief of Staff.

SUMMARIZATION:

HR team - A bit disorganized, lacking in effective communication, follow up, and consistency in process.

ALL of the VPs - All seemed very overworked, rushed, agitated that they're day-to-day was interrupted, and unappreciative of the very position they held. Also, I did not sense they were a cohesive cross-functional team, as they had been advertised. THIS said A LOT about the organization's leadership and their inability to effectively invest in the alignment of goals between their staff and the organization, thus, creating a synergistic team. Lastly, I was very "aware" of my audience, and most of those I met with seemed to have a "Good ol' boy" mentality, thus, I felt a bit "out of place", and yet, still effective in my communication and approach.

Managing Director - Very engaging, and new to the team. Spoke highly of his accomplishments abroad, and was clear in his vision for this team. Our thoughts on process/SOP and the design thereof, seemed to be in sync. Almost felt completely "at ease" with him, as we were speaking the same language. Our ending was a professional departure, but no real confirmation that I was a "shoe-in". THIS can be seen as one of two things: He saw me as a threat (in some form/fashion, or a great addition to the team.
    Chief of Staff - Very pleasant on my 2nd phone interview, and we hit it off very well; however, was not able to make it to the in-person interview. THIS was the final red flag, and a clear indication to me that this culture was not the best fit me.

OUTCOME: The position is on-hold; however, my progress is not. I have made the decision to move on and accept another offer. My decision was based on the above statements. In closing, GS has a name and reputation built on a moral mission to be encouraging, loyal and dedicated to the growth and empowerment of their employees. The team I met with did not meet this obligation to the GS organization, and should consider a realignment or reassessment of their team/staff, with specific attention to their overall happiness and work-life balance. Without this, they will continue to be the "little fish" in a Big Pond of organizations with harmonious cultures that thrive and continue to catapult the progression of human culture into the future.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little about yourself. -- This was the number one question asked, and by EVERY single person.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Took 3 months to interview for a VP position. Probably met more than 20 people. nothing too remarkable. mostly focused on personality, with some technical questions about my expertise. i got the sense that the process is always pretty slow, with some feedback from time to time, which was not always clear to me. i was told that it is a place where people tend to stay apparently, but the people whom i met were all relatively new.

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I routed my resume through an acquaintance who was leaving the firm. They got back with interview requests within 24 hours and arranged a full day of interviews the following week. Two were phone calls with Europe and five were in person meetings in the head office in NYC. Fairly standard behavioural questions but your responses need to be sharp, genuine, and make sense. There were some intermediate technical questions on how to approach various scenarios related to the role you'd be doing. Got back to me within 24 hours from the last interview advising that they would be proceeding with an offer. Firm verbal offer within the following week. They were impressively quick and efficient with turnaround time.

Interview Questions

• What is your proudest accomplishment?
      Tell me something about yourself that's NOT on your resume.   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2015.

Interview

Multiple interviews. Positive feedback from the team and recruiters, but at the end talking about salary expectations I understood that they were looking for a more junior person, and they did not care about years of experience. Sad they did not clarify that from the beginning when I was asked about my expectations

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

One to one interview held with Internal Audit division in New York. The interview consisted of intelligent and relevant questions centered on aspects of the old job such as risk and control mindset, analytical skills, communication skills and so forth.

Interview Questions

• Risk and control mindset applied to a real life scenario   1 Answer

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Multiple interviews across team members. Several days of appointments. Everyone was on time for interviews and questions were primarily seeking how I was as a leader and how my experience would be applied in current/available role.

Interview Questions

• Did not find any question too difficult. Most questions related to skills and experience I had, and being able to tell how I'd apply them in the position for which I was interviewing.   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I was hired as an "experienced hire" and had about 15 interviews, up to the CIO at the time. It was a different time, and the emphasis on getting fresh, experienced talent was there in IT.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the most difficult professional challenge you've had to deal with in the past 5 years   Answer Question

Negotiation

My recruiter at the time did negotiate and got me a very decent base salary. I had no idea how good the cash year-end bonus would be, so my gross yearly salary ended up being easily 3x my prior job.

They did change my job title in the end though. Verbally they said I would be a Technical Analyst Level 3, but when I got the offer letter it was specified as TA02. I called and questioned it, but they said, "Oh, it doesn't matter.. it's just a title and it doesn't change the amount of money we've offered." A year later I was promoted and I was given a raise (every year for 8 years, by the way), but I don't believe the initial title change didn't impact something.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

12 interviews over 2 month period (mainly due availability of interviewers). Emphasize being a team player who is also a self starter. Workaholic tendencies encouraged. Know the 14 business principles, history of the firm, etc.

Interview Questions

• Why are you a job hopper (nearly half the employees are lifers -- having more than three jobs is considered job hopping).   1 Answer

Negotiation

They will offer you the same base, with emphasis that you will be eligible for a bonus. Negotiate. Likelihood that all 12+ interviewers all agreed on another candidate is slim and they don't want to go through the interview process again.

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Be prepared for 10+ interviews

Interview Questions

• In my case, nothing too difficult or unexpected. Be prepared to discuss previous experiences in an insightful manner.   Answer Question