Good Technology Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 12, 2017

2.7

Principal Software Engineer/Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Good Technology (San Diego, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I was scheduled for an on-site interview for a week later after contact with recruiter. However, during the week leading up to the interview, the third-party recruiter informed me that they interviewed another candidate on-site for the same role, and she wanted to share with me some feedback that she was given by that candidate. Basically, this candidate felt like he did terrible on the on-site interview because he was given questions "not really relevant to the job" and questions for which the answers were "textbook" solutions that are not necessarily used today or in this role's specific job duties.

I think this is a sign of an immature engineering group. Because I am picky about the people I work with (I work with a great team now), this was a red flag to me. I am always really disappointed to find engineers asking questions like, "Sort this array using no built-in methods or third-party libraries". The question in and of itself is not useless, but usually it’s to know: Have they memorized the ultimate solution that was invented in the mid-late 1900s by computer scientists?

When an engineer asks questions like this with #2 as their motivation, I already know that they are not qualified to interview me. Myself- I prefer to spend my time solving problems that HAVE NOT YET BEEN SOLVED. It is indeed to understand the space and complexity of algorithms that one uses that are abstracted into libraries and built-in methods, but beyond that, who cares unless you're doing C or C++? I can teach a dog to memorize a computer science textbook.

During my actual on site, they were all expected questions to which, luckily enough, I happened to remember the common textbook solutions. I told myself going into it, however, that I wouldn't give them any textbook answers but rather come up with a different/creative way of solving whatever technical challenges they gave me. Yeah, call me a snob, but I know my worth and the value I have brought to software organizations so, when I'm interviewing for the position...guess what...I am the one doing the interviewing. Good Technology needed to prove to me that they were worth leaving what I currently have at a Fortune 500 company. And they failed. Every engineer/manager that asked me questions asked me technical puzzles that are probably in the top 5 "interview questions" when Googling "Software Engineer interview questions". So, sincerely, I attempted to come up with new solutions to whatever problems they presented me with in order to exhibit my problem-solving capabilities (because, again, who cares about memorization ability?), then talked through the O() notation of my solutions to hopefully hint to them that I was very conscious of what I was doing.

Unfortunately Good Technology's engineers could not see past the fact that I didn't give them their textbook solutions, further convincing me that they are not a practical-minded development team, but are rather looking for someone who has obselete knowledge because, in their mind, that's what makes for a Principal Engineer. Notice- they asked me ZERO questions that would demonstrate my ability to do the ACTUAL job. Instead, they each spent an hour giving me irrelevant questions. They didn't even say, "We just want to see how you solve problems". No, when I did solve each problem, their response was simply, "No, that's not right.". As expected, I suppose.

Last big red flag- I took notes on this... I asked ALL my interviewers what is most IMPORTANT to them in this role and on their team. They all unanimously responded, "The people. The personalities. The way people fit together." Yet, they spent less than 5% of the time asking me questions that spoke about my personality and team fit. That tells me one of two things:

1. Deep down they don't care about the personalities and team fit
    2. They want people like THEM that have boat loads of useless knowledge, not caring whether or not they have skills applicable to the actual job.

I left the interviews pretty sorry that I abandoned my current team for 6 hours to interview with such a poorly developed Software Development team at Good Technology. That was my bad. I sent an e-mail to the recruiter with my feedback, and I haven't heard back from her at all. Turns out, she's just another one of those recruiters (like most) that doesn't really care about professionalism unless you can do something for her (i.e. help her meet her quota). Fortunately, I don't have a desire to hear back about the position or about Good Technology. My impression is that the entire engineering team and management are impractical, not pragmatic, and have no idea what's really important to their business as a whole. Had they at least asked me questions that made some measure of good sense (yet still didn't offer me the job), I would be singing a different tune. But alas, it was like being interviewed by a group of people who just graduated college.

Technical Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Good Technology in July 2014.

Interview

Typical interview process, nothing spectacular. Quick phone interview with the recruiter who seemed a bit distracted, then asked to come in for a face-to-face with about 4 people, all went very well. Was told I would be brought back for a second, no follow up from the recruiter although I was told I did very well during the interviews. In my opinion the corporate recruiter was overworked or just did not care about the candidate experience never responded to my email, after I took 4 hours out of my day to meet with them.

Senior Senior Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Good Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

HR is talkative, team is good, lots of nice people, atmosphere is not too different to name brand companies but higher pay.

I like the referral bonus process, just send your resume to goodreferral@hotmail.com

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation, just apply what I asked for.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Good Technology in June 2013.

Interview

I submitted my resume on LinkedIn and was contacted by a recruiter within a few days. I had a few phone interviews, I was brought in for a face to face with the hiring manager and a few team members. I had a verbal offer within 24 hours. It was an easy transition and I'm really happy I accepted!

Interview Questions

• Very easy going interview - just had to know my job and the right questions to ask about the role.   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Good Technology in July 2013.

Interview

Called in for 1-1 interviews. 4 interviews back to back. It was shared with me that I was one of 5 being called in for 1-1's within that week and would then be determined who would be called back for final round with HRVP. Nice group of HR folks, good energy, but not well prepared - most did not have a copy of resume and I sensed never reviewed it. A few focused questions but mostly very casual conversations. Expected to hear a yes or no on further interviews - never heard back by phone or email.

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Good Technology (New York, NY).

Interview

Did one phone call with one person who was optimistic about my background and he scheduled another call with another woman at the company. When I told her that I not only did mobile ux, but I currently did web ux as well she abruptly ended the call saying she didn't want to take up anymore of my time and hung up on me. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Corporate Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Good Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

First a phone interview and then onsite to meet with 3 different managers. All done in 1 day, which is convenient when you are currently employed elsewhere. Very little back-and-forth and I was notified immediately after of their decision.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Good Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

On the phone I was asked a few very basic technical questions, then I was asked to visit with a senior manager later in the day. I could not believe how easy it was.

I heard the same manager giving the phone screen many times after I was hired, and apparently there are many candidates who don't know the answers.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Good Technology in December 2009.

Interview

Two rounds of phone screens on the same day, one with hiring manager and another with the Team member. After that called for in-person for just 45 min with the hiring manager and where she is busy with her system looking into emails and etc etc. she spared only few minutes to listen what I am saying and most of the time looking into her system. I lost the interest and quit.

Interview Questions

• Concurrency in java and code producer consumer problem   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farmers Branch, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Good Technology (Farmers Branch, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

I was referred to the position by a friend of a friend. I contacted the recruiting agency and was setup with a phone interview by one programmer on the team that I now work with. They finally followed up with an in-person interview where I was met by the entire team in groups of 2 or 3 at a time. I was asked a series of technical questions that gauged knowledge relevant to the job position. A few management types also interviewed me to give me a high-level of the job role and what it's like to work for the company (no technical questions by them).

Interview Questions

• They asked some questions about Winsock2 which I hadn't worked with in a few years, and I had failed to brush up on that before the interview, but I worked through it the best that I could.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little room for negotiation. I was presented with an offer up-front and had to request a special exception to increase the salary I would start out with. I only managed to get about a 5% boost in their initial offer.