Goodwill Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.1

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goodwill (Bolingbrook, IL).

Interview

It was very easy. The hiring manager was very nice and very cooperative.When I went in everyone said Hi to me so even before the interview I was excited about working there because of the other employees. I was hired right on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question
    • Name a situation where you had to go out of your way to help someone and how did you go about it during the job.   Answer Question

Cashier/Processor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Goodwill (Arlington Heights, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online and about two weeks later they called me in. It only took about 10 minutes and they offered me the job.They gave me the choice of what I had wanted to do (Donations, Pricing, etc). I chose cashier because I figured it would be a fun way to meet new people.

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westchester, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goodwill (Westchester, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

The job interview was fairly easy, the assistant manager was nice and he offered me an offer right away when we where done with the interview. After that he told me he would call me once I got my drug and background check done. 1 week later I went into the orientation (either 1:1 or 1:2) and started working that day later.

Vocational Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Great Lakes, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goodwill (Great Lakes, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application to Goodwill Industries on September 1, 2015 and received a response that same day to conduct a phone interview to discuss the position the following week. On September 9th, the phone interview took place. After the phone interview, I was told that I would learn by the 11th whether or not I had been selected for a face-to-face interview. I received a call on the 11th that I had been selected for the next step. On September 17th, I had the face-to-face interview with three interviewers, a supervisor, manager, and an HR representative. Each individual went down the line asking situational questions, position requirements, and answering any inquiries I might have had. Overall, the interview was very relaxed and as conversational as possible considering that there were several questions that needed to be asked. Upon completion, I was informed that there were other candidates that needed to be interviewed. I was contacted before the end of the day and was informed that I was selected for the position, given an offer, and instructed on the next steps in the event that I wanted the job.

Because the position is for a non-profit organization and provides services to the government the final stage is long. This last step toward employment includes a drug test, Goodwill's background check, and a military background check. The military's background check adds three to four weeks to the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• How would you prioritize high volume and time sensitive situations. For example, you have a client scheduled for an appointment, a supervisor from another office has called because the individual needs information reported quickly, and you also have to complete case notes that are due.   1 Answer
    • Because vocational case management 24/7 service, in the case of an emergency (i.e. extreme weather conditions) would you be willing to stay overnight to manage the situation?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation process, the position's salary was stated during the interview without an option to readjust it.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goodwill (Bolingbrook, IL).

Interview

Applied online. Got a call back a couple days later to come in for an interview. Interviewed with both assistant and manager. Pretty basic interview, at the end was offered the job and asked to go take the drug test. Started a couple of days after that.

Interview Questions

• The basic questions like describe a time you dealt with a difficult customer. The interview ended up being more casual where we were just talking about my work history and the current position available and less w/ reading questions off a paper.   Answer Question

Retail Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goodwill (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online through their website for Assistant Manager. Received a call the next day. Recruiter explained that I would be a better fit for a lower position of Retail Supervisor and asked if I was still interested. We set up a phone interview for the following Monday. Phone interview was very laid back and included a few questions about my career goals, experience, and my education. When I was called, the interviewer started the process by asking if I had any questions about the position or the company (very important to ask them questions to show your interest and research). Then I was asked a few simple behavioral questions such as "Name a time you had to motivate a team?" and "Name a time you were under great pressure and how did you handle the situation?" At the conclusion of the phone interview I was asked to complete an online assessment, which I think was bad as it was timed and I didn't fully have the time to complete it. Received a call from a local store manager 3 days later and scheduled an in-person interview for the following Monday. The interview was with store manager and regional manager and was very difficult in terms of the questions asked. There were a lot of behavioral questions (probably about 15-20) with many follow up questions depending on how I answered. The interviewers seemed very interested in the interview and seemed to follow up a lot on the questions and somewhat help me answer the questions better. Was offered a job at the conclusion of the interview. Everyone that I talked to for this interview was very helpful and wanted me to succeed, which is something you don't see a lot.

Interview Questions

• Why goodwill?
      Tell me about yourself.
      What do you know about goodwill?
      What is your greatest achievement?
      Name a time you were under great pressure and how did you deal with it.
      Name a time you had to consult others on the outcome.
      Name a time you knew the outcome but consulted with others about it.
      Name a time you gave up a commitment to satisfy another commitment.
      Name a time you motivated employees and what was the result.
      How do you prioritize tasks?
      What do you think is your strength?
      What do you think you need to improve on?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Set starting salary.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carpentersville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goodwill (Carpentersville, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Went in and meant with what ended up being a team leader. Basic customer service interview questions asked. Nothing to special. The whole interview was about twenty minutes or so from the time I walked in the front door, until exiting the store.

Interview Questions

• Q: Explain a time you had a negative experience with a customer and what did you do to resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Goodwill (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

Hired during the 15 minute interview very easy questions asked about previous experience hired on the spot started three days later goodwill will hire just about anyone they have a hard time keeping people probably due to the low pay

Interview Questions

• How often should someone call off work   1 Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goodwill (Arlington Heights, IL) in August 2013.

Interview

They were reluctant to interview me on the basis of my extensive experience in banking and self-employment. The questions were typical of a cashier position: do I have basic math skills, do I lose my temper over irate customers, can I balance a hundred dollar bank. As a customer of goodwill prior to being employed I had a good idea of how they made their profit what I have learned after two years is the enormity of the profit margin. My question to the interviewing manager was how they decide what to sell and what to salvage. Goodwill makes a profit either way.

Interview Questions

• How I would handle an unhappy customer.   1 Answer

Retail Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Goodwill (Chicago, IL) in July 2013.

Interview

Recruiters set up interview based on phone convo. Job description is given with basic history of the company. Basic retail questions a long with management style questions and a questionnaire is taken. Meet with a regional and store manager for 2 separate interviews.

Interview Questions

• Give an example when you had to deal with conflict and how did you resolve it?   1 Answer