Goodwill Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 20, 2017

2.8

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goodwill in December 2017.

Interview

I had a 30 min phone interview and then was invited to “Talent Day”. I was told to prepare a 6 minute presentation that answered 5 questions that they emailed to me. Talent day was from 10am to 3pm. Despite being given an agenda upon arrival talent day was very disorganized and demeaning. Six applicants, myself included were subjected to humiliating games and silly tasks while 7 people from corporate “observe our behavior”. I felt like part of some dog and pony act for their entertainment. The group of observers sped through the agenda so they could finish their day early at 1. I was called the following Monday for another interview that Friday. Friday’s interview was with 4 people, three of which had been observers on talent day. I was put through another approx. 30 min interview and asked what I would do in my first 30 Days, I wanted to clarify if I was interviewing for store manager , I was asked, “did you read the job description?” And then I was told, “she is manager of this location and she is manager of the other location, would you be interested in another position if it was offered?” I was then told to answer the question as if it was for the manager position. The following Monday I was offered team leader at the location I had not applied and for very little money considering I would be leading mentally handicapped people and I do not have the training to work with mentally disabled people...I do however have experience in retail management and Store Manager was the position I had applied for and thought I was interviewing for. My time, energy, and extremely limited resources were wasted on 3 interviews for a position that did not pay me enough to pay my rent and bills. The whole process took approx. 4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Introduce yourself, where you are from and what you thought you wanted to be when you became an adult.   Answer Question
  • Describe the work experience that best defines who you are as a person and the unique qualities that you would bring to Goodwill.   Answer Question
  • Tell us of an important life lesson you have learned that you feel is important to share with others.   Answer Question
  • What would your best friend say about you? (The good, the bad, and the ugly)   Answer Question
  • On your 80th birthday, reflecting back on your life, what will you hope to be some of your most cherished accomplishments, memories and dreams.   Answer Question

It wasn’t the position I applied for and I didn’t have the training to work with mentally handicapped people.

Other Interview Reviews for Goodwill

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Milford, CT

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Goodwill (New Milford, CT).

Interview

The Bridgeport CT office interview was the worst experience. After submitting an application for the store manager title, I got an email that it is for a Trainee position. 2ndly, once we setup an appointment and I confirmed it and arrived, I was told HR left because she thought it was for a different time. I called her...no response so then I emailed her saying you told me this time and now they said you were gone and forwarded the email she sent with the time. Funny, she immediately called me back and said "can I turn around and go back she will come back". 3rdly, she apologized but seemed rushed and did not seemed engaged. After the interview she setup me up in the career center to take a test and left me there. To be honest I was turned off by all this at that point.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Goodwill.

Interview

very informal 10+ years ago it took 30 minutes because they were desperate for managers, today interview process starts sometimes with phone screening all applicants must apply on line , all depends who the DM is , a lot of favoritism going on among DMs if they dont like you they wont hire or promote you

Interview Questions

• its all about production and how many hours you can work in a day + week forget about weekends off   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Goodwill (Kansas City, MO) in February 2016.

Interview

They have a rather extensive interview process where you may have to have up to 3 interviews for the position. One with a member of management, the district manager and HR. This process took about 12 days from start to finish before I received the job offer. I personally only met with the district manager and HR but have seen some go through all 3. It mostly consists of standardized questions with a few personality questions about who you are and what are some things you enjoy outside of work.

Interview Questions

• They look for specific examples of your management style and how you apply it to the everyday work environment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goodwill (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

Interview went well, was asked numerous questions about background and asked some behavioral questions. Interview was given by the are manager. Wasn't a difficult interview at all, was at the first interview for about and hour.

Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Goodwill (San Bernardino, CA).

Interview

It was not even a process. I knew someone working at goodwill and my friend got me the job. I went to the so called interview, did the so called drug test and got the job

Negotiation

I had smoked a drug two days prior and I still passed the joke of a drug screen. The so call first aid team, I guess that's what you call them, didn't even check me to see if I had someone else's urine on me.

Anonymous Employee in Lufkin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Goodwill (Lufkin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I met a representative at a job fair and was called for an interview. After the interview I received a call about three days later with an offer to take the position. I was told the District Manager would call me within a few days and I wouldn't start for another two weeks. After that I couldn't get a return phone call from anyone until I contacted the head of HR. I should have seen the how unorganized the company was when they never returned my calls.

Interview Questions

• Would I have a problem stepping in and fixing a major disaster left by previous manager?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goodwill.

Interview

Initially applied online through their website. In a couple of weeks was invited for a panel interview. Two people present and about 15 - 20 open questions. Apparently there is some sort of scoring system the two interviewers use. Some questions did not seem to directly pertain to the position.

Interview Questions

• What would I do if an employee were hurt while at work?   2 Answers

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Goodwill in May 2015.

Interview

First interview was with the donated goods regional manager. It went well, called me back couple weeks later for 2nd interview to meet with a second regional manager and the corporate manager. Needless to say it didn't go well I assumed because the next day I saw the position I applied to posted on the job board.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goodwill.

Interview

Interviewed and heard back in two days via email they had hired internally. Seemed like it would be great company to work for. Interview was one on one in a hotel lobby. There was about 20 questions.

Interview Questions

• If you had to review a staff member and had to give them criticism how did you handle it.   Answer Question