Google Interview Questions in Boulder, CO | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 17, 2018

3.6

33 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Boulder, CO) in May 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, waited several weeks, passed a technical phone screen, waited several weeks, had an on-site interview with 5 technical sessions and an informal lunch in the cafeteria. After another week I was called with my results. Interviews ranged from a thought provoking discussion of "What features and issues would you watch for if you implemented [a given mobile app]?" to processing streams of ints and traversing tree structures efficiently.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would design a fully automated continuous build/test/configure/deploy system for arbitrary applications and software packages. Feel free to dive into any piece of this problem that is of interest to you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Boulder, CO) in August 2010.

Interview

Started out with an open house and gave my resume to an employee. I was handed off to a recruiter who didn't do very well (never managed to send me email, and had me in the wrong hiring track). So I restarted the process with a new recruiter and it went much better.

Two phone interviews, each consisting of several programming questions that were written up in a shared document while talking to the interviewer (a google engineer).

After the phone interviews, the recruiter got back to me and set up an on-site interview (about a month later). The on-site interview was NDAd (so you won't get any questions), but consisted of three separate interviews over the course of a day. By the end of the week, the recruiter had called back with the result.

Interview Questions

• Initial Question
      Write a function in your language of choice to check if a given string matches a given pattern as a non-contiguous substring: that is, all the characters in the pattern appear in the text string in the same order, but possibly not all in a row.

(eg: pwdp matches passwordparser.h and pwdafterpepper.cc)

Continuation:
      How can this be made more efficient (so as you add to the search string, you don't have to redo the whole problem)?

Continuation 2:
      How could results be sorted by relevance?   1 Answer
    • Write a function to return if a number is a palindrome (eg, 113848311)   4 Answers
    • Write a function to return the number with the longest collatz sequence in a given range: int longestCollatz(int lower, int upper);   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Boulder, CO) in February 2011.

Interview

Came in for an on site interview. The front desk and recruiter were very nice. Was shown around for a five minute tour of the office. The office decor was typical dot-com stuff like cube toys, decorations, and a focus on showing your uniqueness and how much fun you're having at work. After the tour we went straight to the interview room for the mini-interviews. The interviewers were all software engineers. Despite being asked to pick top competencies, the interviewers ignored this, ignored the resume, ignored even basic background questions, and jumped straight into algorithms questions. We would progress through several problems until the interviewer found one which I didn't know off the top of my head. At one point I was asked to derive an efficient parallel multi-core algorithm on the spot and the point of the interview was revealed as "stump the applicant." Despite explaining the algorithms, the interviewers insisted they be written out long hand on a small whiteboard without regard of how long was left in the interview.

One interviewer revealed that interviewers were allowed to come up with their own problems whether or not they had considered the solution. Interviewers provided zero feedback, and once time ran out the interviewer proclaimed "this interview is now over" and left the room. One interviewer claimed that any extra time left over would be "rewarded" with the ability to ask him questions about the job or environment. This is indicative of the office attitude. Overall it was a very negative experience and it was conducted more like a contest than a two way sharing of information. I got very little out of it except a reminder of what 90's era dot-com interviews were like.

Interview Questions

• As per the NDA, applicants have to agree not to reveal questions. However, interviewers will progress rapidly through questions until they find one you don't know, so prepping answers won't help. Frankly, algorithm trivia is a dumb way to pick employees.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Boulder, CO) in March 2011.

Interview

The interview process wasn't so bad, although very time consuming. The part that was frustrating was finding out they actually had no intention of hiring anyone right now. They said they were expanding to two other buildings on the block. They told me they liked me, but they had no positions open and they were waiting for approval to hire for a new project, BUT had to see if there were enough potential people for that project. So, why waste so much of my time leading me on? Why not shorten it to one interview and tell people they'll keep their record on file for later AHEAD of time. Doesn't make sense.

Interview Questions

• All about algorithms mostly. They like to see how you think things through   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Boulder, CO) in January 2011.

Interview

I got a phone call with an IQ test, some recursion problems, etc. The guy who called presented a problem and asked me to solve it which I feel I did correctly. The solution was as efficient as possible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Boulder, CO) in April 2011.

Interview

Basic phone screen, on-site interview since I'm local. Blackboard coding, requirements / ana;ysis brainstorming

Interview Questions

• String replacement coding in Java.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Google (Boulder, CO) in June 2010.

Interview

5 individual interviews with the barage of puzzle-like technical questions. Must write perfect code and come up with a good solution. 2 were positive experiences, 3 were not (interviewers seemed a bit condescending).

Interview Questions

• Design an efficient service that allocates phone numbers to mobile customers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

Interview

I was cold-called one day by a Google recruiter. I initially indicated that Google wouldn't be a good fit because I didn't want to live in California, but he mentioned other offices, including the one in Boulder. Colorado is pretty similar to my home state of Utah.

The first part of the interview was a one-hour phone interview. During the interview I was asked to solve a series of technical problems, including describing algorithms and providing big-O complexities. The questions started out fairly simple but rapidly increased in difficulty and complexity.

The second part was a day-long in-person interview. Google flew me to Boulder for it. I had five one-hour interviews, each similar to the phone screen, except for the middle one which wasn't really an interview... it was lunch, with a chance to discuss the company with a Googler (as it turns out, my lunch "interviewer" is now my manager, so it was a great chance to get to know him).

After the interview, it took about two weeks to get an answer from Google, and another week to get an offer. That was strange to me; in my experience decisions and offers usually come quicker. I've since learned how the process works, and because of the structure of the process, my experience is typical. The offer was so good that even though my family wasn't excited about moving to Colorado, there really was no question. I've since learned that very, very few people turn down Google's offers.

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. They made me an offer, I said I needed to think about it for a day or two, but called back 30 minutes later and accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Boulder, CO) in July 2012.

Interview

Contacted by Google recruiter in June, submitted my resume, 45-minute phone interview with one Boulder engineer, then got first on-site interview in mid-July.
    Four 45 minute 1-1 sessions with their engineers, all programming on whiteboard.
    Then a week later was called by the recruiter to schedule the second on-site interview for the end of July. This time just two 45 minute sessions, same format.

For the first on-site interview they gave me the wrong time so I arrived one hour too early, at least it's better than arriving one hour too late.
    The recruiter told me over the phone that based on my experience the interviewers will ask me to program in language A, however three out of the six interviewers gave questions in language B. Don't know if they were trying to trick me or just mis-communication on their side; had I known I would have been much better prepared.
    None of the on-site interviewer mentioned anything on my resume, don't know if any of them looked at it or not.
    Most programming questions were not too difficult, and did not require real-world working experience. My hand-writing is slow and ugly though, which was a disadvantage when writing code on whiteboard.

The Google office in Boulder has nice kitchen and food, however the workspace seems crowded, unergonomic and not too impressive.

In the end over a week later I was told they will not give me an offer, no reason, and the recruiter told me this decision was made before the second on-site interview result was in, which sounded strange since it had been over two weeks between the first and second on-site interview.

Overall the Google hiring process does not feel very professional.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected, all about algorithms and data structure.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Boulder, CO) in November 2015.

Interview

First Round Interview is a phone interview. They will ask you to code in google doc which will be shared by the HR. Even if you write the solution, they will analyze your code for complexity

Interview Questions

• Given a tree and two nodes in it, find the common ancestor of the two nodes   3 Answers