Google Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Business Analyst Interview Questions

3.3

31 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online in July, took a few weeks to get a response from Google. The processes started with Google asking me to fill out some questions in relation to a project that i'd worked on. After submitting this i was quickly pushed on to the next stage. About a couple of weeks later, I had a virtual meeting with the hiring manager who asked me some product related questions as well as a few sql questions. E.g. how would you know when to send a push-up notification to a consumer, what metrics would you look at / measure / optimize upon. I also passed a sql test at this point. The product-related questions were pretty open ended.

It took about 2 weeks to find out that I'd be accepted to the next and final stage of the process (it was strange that they would take so long in making that decision. At this point, i had accepted a job elsewhere, however after relentlessly applying over a number of years i wanted to push through this to the end.)

The next and final stage of the process was in the London HQ , 4-in a row + (?business lunch?) interview process. I thought my first interview went really well as i felt i answered questions okay, and they were open ended. I got a "hope to see you soon" kind of ending - but the questions were so relentless that there was barely enough time for me to ask a lot of questions at the end and understand the role i was applying for in better detail. The second interview was similar, ending with a quick sheet of paper where i was told to demonstrate / define linear regression and then quickly told to write some sql code based on some columns , the question had make me nervous as I didn't fully understand what the output / business case of the problem was trying to solve and it was a twister using counts/subqueries where i didn't stay calm. Before i could finish, the interviewer had to end the session for lunch and took my paper.

After this there were 2 video calls remaining - these interviewers were pretty friendly and asked me to go through more product based questions (e.g. how would you decide what to show someone on netflix, what programming skills do you know, types of joins, etls etc.) The last one ended with a sql test which i thought went better than the second one but i think there was something that they didnt like in the way i was writing or i didnt make myself 'sound confident' . I think this was partly the basis of my application getting rejected or not being strong enough, they did not give proper feedback following the process and it really left a bitter taste for me. I've applied so many times and not to get strong feedback / weighing up negatives/positives after reaching the final stage really left me pissed off to be frank.
If they are looking for programmers / statisticians rather than industry business analysts then it should be more clear. I can also write queries with all joins, various functions, subqueries as well as picking up new functions off the table but if I'm given 30 sec to look at dataset and crunch and then get harsh criticism for my code (where i'm not a full programmer) then so be it. I'm honestly not sure if i feel like even trying to apply again. I also felt a bit of a arrogance from a couple of the people in the recruitment process as well as some robotic-ness from HR (you don't have to explicitly tell me the timezone of our call when you know i'm based in the UK already and we just spoke 20min prior to arranging the call. Also got a couple of memes from their HR... felt odd more than anything.)

Interview Questions

• what type of sql joins do you know   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

applied online and got a phone call about 2 weeks later discussing about my background and googles

contacted after for an in person interview with separate divisions

the overall interview was tough. there were a lot of situation questions and based on how well you deal with each area of expertise

Interview Questions

• what is one thing you would change about any of our products?   Answer Question

Business Analyst () Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I applied to the Sales & Account Management Department for a business analyst position. I do not have a business background, but my main disadvantage was that I was not aware enough of google Adwords. Even though I knew more than the basics, they really required excellence on the product, which I didn't have. The interviewers were super cool and alll of them had great backgrounds.

Interview Questions

• Adwords related questions and the typical market size questions (e.g. tell me how many bicycles your city has)   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied through a Googler friend and had a phone interview with a recruiter. The recruiter was very pleasant and even seemed to be rooting for me. After that another phone interview with the hiring manager. This was the difficult part as the hiring manager knows what they are looking for. I didn't make it past this step.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied for the position through the google jobs website. A few days later I got an email from a recruiter asking if I was available for a phone interview. I arranged one for the following week.

In between I was in contact with the recruiter over email. She gave me a few topics to know well for the interview as well as some competencies (where I failed, how I have shown leadership, etc.)

So the interview day came along. I was initially supposed to have an interview with one staff member but at the last minute, it was swapped to a different one. They only mailed me about it an hour before the interview. So luckily, I saw the mail in time.

The interview went differently to what I was told to expect. All the topics I had covered and was told to expect didn't come up. Some competency questions came up about my previous experiences with failing, leadership, difficult employees. Then they asked about my SQL and statistics experience which I had a feeling would come up but wasn't sure what topics. Then the big one came along... The cognitive interview question that Google is famous for.

I got a bit flustered as I didn't think this would come up as they seem to have done away with them. They really dissect everything you say for this question so practice the ones available online

All in all, it was a tough enough phone interview. My main grievance was that I was told to know the product inside out but they never asked a single thing about it which annoyed me as I spend so much time researching it and learning about it.

Overall, neutral experience. Got an email a day later to say I didn't get it. Recruiter was lovely. Really nice. Interviewer, not so good.

Interview Questions

• How many houses in the US have blue doors   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Google contacted me on LinkedIn. The first step in the process was a screening phone call with an HR person. That led to me filling out some paperwork and sending over a current resume. After this is black hole number one. I heard nothing from Google for months. Then I was contacted saying they wanted to move forward with a technical phone screen. This took 2 months to schedule. There were multiple attempts at this interview since there were scheduling issues where the interviewer was not available. When it finally did get the interview the interviewer was 15 minutes late.

Then the process started moving a little quicker. Within two days I received feedback they wanted to move forward as soon as next week. So I said I was available and then a whole week went by with no communication. Just me waiting to know if Google wanted to fly me across the country for an interview on a days notice. Finally, I get a response saying they needed more time the interviewers were too busy so I had to pass along more dates. This time the turnaround was a bit quicker I had a date scheduled a few weeks in advance. The process for scheduling travel was smooth and easy. They do one more call with you to prepare you for the onsite interview.

Unfortunately I was being considered for multiple positions and the HR team had misprepared me for my interview. I was told to expect a technically challenging interview. I had 5 hours of project management questions. Not at all what was in the job description. There seemed to be a large gap between what HR and I expected and what the team was looking for. The nightmare recruitment process finally ended with a voicemail saying they did not want to move forward. I requested more feedback as to why apparently that is against company policy.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)).

Interview

very very difficult and full use of technology

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

The interview process was through the University on campus recruiting. The school shared a database of possible candidates for different functions based on interests and experience. From that, Google picked the people for interviews.

At the beginning a thought that the process was weird since the recruiters at Google were very inflexible with the interview hours and dates (considering that I was an student). But in the end I yielded since it is Google right? Probably they have a lot of people who want to work there. Then at the time of the interview (was by phone), the interviewer called me almost 40 minutes late and spent probably 30-35 minutes talking about himself and his projects. I was really expecting an interview where the interviewer was interested somehow in getting to know me more and who would have spend the 45 minutes we had for that call more wisely. But again, they are Google, right? They can do pretty much what they want. The rest of the time we basically spent it talking about my thoughts on a few of his projects and one business case.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult questions was regarding my understanding of the education industry and how I could help institutions to attract better people to the system (students) and why would that be better than bringing anyone who could pay the tuition in the long term. This question was more like a regular consulting business case with a very limited amount of time   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Had an initial call with two different recruiters to discuss which groups were interested. Very unorganized as neither knew I had spoken to the other. Then a phone interview with members of the group. Asked some brainteasers and some strategy/consulting-type questions, but pretty brief. Heard back from a recruiter the next day about continued interest and was scheduled to fly to Mountain View the next week.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in July 2011.

Interview

The overall interview process was positive. I had an 2 initial phone interviews and then they flew me out to the HQ in Mountain View, CA. There were a few complications with scheduling once I was onsite. Onsite interviews consisted of three team members. The first and Last was pleasant but the middle interviewer was not so nice. A lot of behavioral questions and case questions. Def do research about the company, interview process, and position. The best way to obtain an interview is by getting an employee referral...best of luck!

Interview Questions

• name a google product you use and what would u change about it? how to improve it?   Answer Question
    • describe Ad words in three sentences to a child..   Answer Question