Google Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Business Analyst Interview Questions

3.3

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online in July, took a few weeks to get a response from Google. The processes started with Google asking me to fill out some questions in relation to a project that i'd worked on. After submitting this i was quickly pushed on to the next stage. About a couple of weeks later, I had a virtual meeting with the hiring manager who asked me some product related questions as well as a few sql questions. E.g. how would you know when to send a push-up notification to a consumer, what metrics would you look at / measure / optimize upon. I also passed a sql test at this point. The product-related questions were pretty open ended.

It took about 2 weeks to find out that I'd be accepted to the next and final stage of the process (it was strange that they would take so long in making that decision. At this point, i had accepted a job elsewhere, however after relentlessly applying over a number of years i wanted to push through this to the end.)

The next and final stage of the process was in the London HQ , 4-in a row + (?business lunch?) interview process. I thought my first interview went really well as i felt i answered questions okay, and they were open ended. I got a "hope to see you soon" kind of ending - but the questions were so relentless that there was barely enough time for me to ask a lot of questions at the end and understand the role i was applying for in better detail. The second interview was similar, ending with a quick sheet of paper where i was told to demonstrate / define linear regression and then quickly told to write some sql code based on some columns , the question had make me nervous as I didn't fully understand what the output / business case of the problem was trying to solve and it was a twister using counts/subqueries where i didn't stay calm. Before i could finish, the interviewer had to end the session for lunch and took my paper.

After this there were 2 video calls remaining - these interviewers were pretty friendly and asked me to go through more product based questions (e.g. how would you decide what to show someone on netflix, what programming skills do you know, types of joins, etls etc.) The last one ended with a sql test which i thought went better than the second one but i think there was something that they didnt like in the way i was writing or i didnt make myself 'sound confident' . I think this was partly the basis of my application getting rejected or not being strong enough, they did not give proper feedback following the process and it really left a bitter taste for me. I've applied so many times and not to get strong feedback / weighing up negatives/positives after reaching the final stage really left me pissed off to be frank.
If they are looking for programmers / statisticians rather than industry business analysts then it should be more clear. I can also write queries with all joins, various functions, subqueries as well as picking up new functions off the table but if I'm given 30 sec to look at dataset and crunch and then get harsh criticism for my code (where i'm not a full programmer) then so be it. I'm honestly not sure if i feel like even trying to apply again. I also felt a bit of a arrogance from a couple of the people in the recruitment process as well as some robotic-ness from HR (you don't have to explicitly tell me the timezone of our call when you know i'm based in the UK already and we just spoke 20min prior to arranging the call. Also got a couple of memes from their HR... felt odd more than anything.)

Interview Questions

• what type of sql joins do you know   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)) in August 2016.

Interview

In site interview with the manager in which he asked three cases with questions about the impact of social media on marketing for CPG. Asked about about the three principal challenges for the industry in Mexico.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

Technical Recruiter contacted me through Linkedin. He explained me about the role and the interview process. He wanted me to fill a questionnaire, which contained questions about my technical and BA experience. He sent the filled questionnaire and my CV to the hiring manager.

After a week, I had a phone interview with the hiring manager/team member. It was a standard interview with usual questions. The interviewer told me that he didn't read my questionnaire that I sent earlier, which I didn't expect from Google.

After 3-4days I was told that I won't be going to next stages and NO feedback was given. Strange!

Interview Questions

• 1. Why Google?
      2. Explain your current role. Describe your favourite project.
      3. What's your ETL and OLAP experience?
      4. What DB and visualization tools have you used?
      5. Have you got any Big Data & Hadoop experience?
      6. SQL join types?
      7. List few SQL Analytical functions?
      8. Which programming language are you strong at?
      9. How will set recommendations for Netflix?
      10. How will you check if your above mentioned algorithm work?

PS: I didn't sign any consent form for phone interview.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

applied online and got a phone call about 2 weeks later discussing about my background and googles

contacted after for an in person interview with separate divisions

the overall interview was tough. there were a lot of situation questions and based on how well you deal with each area of expertise

Interview Questions

• what is one thing you would change about any of our products?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Full process took more than a month.
    I came a first time within UK office for a video call interview. Average questions about my profile and my main tasks during former experience.
    My second and third interviews were more technical.
    After 4 interviews, no feedback. Kind of weird coming from such a big house.
    For these 4 interviews, a room was reserved but I was requested to leave each time after approx 30 min because not reserved for enough time. Maybe that was part of the process to destabilize. It made me feel like they were not very organized in fact.

Interview Questions

• You are requested to sell vacuum cleaner. How would you proceed?   1 Answer
    • Give me an example of a project you lead. What was the result? Which difficulties did you meet?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buenos Aires (Argentina)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Buenos Aires (Argentina)) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process started by submitting an online resume, then a call with HR, after that 3 rounds with the team members that asked personality questions, fit questions and questions about google products and how they can be used day to day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

The phone screening took 30 minutes. Very generic questions, such as what are your career goals, why this job, why google, etc. The interviewer was nice, but it seemed like they were looking for someone with more technology experience, which I had little of. All in all, it was a great experience and I simply wasn’t the right fit for the role.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview process is long and sometimes boring. In the whole process it felt like I was chosen to make a number or to keep the recruiter busy in his job. Also, despite the fact that all their emails sounded very friendly (smiley faces, kind words, etc.), it felt like I was dealing with a robot. Even when i received my feedback (positive and moving me to the next stage), I was given a completely wrong feedback, as I know where I did well and where I could have done better. The email sounded like a generic one that was sent to another tens of candidates.
    Well, after the first stage of the interview process I asked myself if I would like to work in a company where I am simply a number and if I want to proceed into the next stage myself.

Interview Questions

• Expect to be asked case based question in regards to forecasting, for example how would you predict the number of staff required in support team for next year.
      basic SQL question are asked too, but for the BI Analyst you should be a PRO in SQL anyway, so you might get more advanced sql questions.
      Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2012.

Interview

HR call and then 45 mins phone interview , it was not based on my resume but general questions about Business Analysis .2) How will you build your food website ? what features will you add and how and what is its supporting architecture ?1) How will you build a patent system ?

Interview Questions

• 1) How will you build a patent system ?   Answer Question
    • 2) How will you build your food website ? what features will you add and how and what is its supporting architecture ?   Answer Question
    • 3) How will you avoid congestion on a very busy highway ?   Answer Question
    • 4) What is your favorite pastime ?   Answer Question
    • 5) Ask any questions you may have?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

more than 1 hour pure interview!! Three Technical questions, Probability and stat questions. He asked me to introduce myself and talk about their team and why Google.
    shared a paper and wanted to analyzed geographically and the last question was open minded question. At the end he said the recruiter will get back to you.

Interview Questions

• First Question: Do you have any question?!!   1 Answer