Google Interview Questions in California | Glassdoor

2,095 Interview Reviews

3.4

2,095 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
    1) Dynamic Programming
    2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
    3) Probability related programs
    4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
    5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
    6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
    7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
    8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
    9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
    10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
    11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
    12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
    Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
    Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
    Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
    Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
    Dynamic programming,
    Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview went seemingly smoothly, except for a couple quirks in the code on the whiteboard. The questions were way easier than I expected. The interviewers were not intimidating at all and did not try to make the process stressful. I felt like I passed and according to HR, the overall feedback was positive. My application went to the hiring committee which, in turn, rejected the offer.

Associate Account Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

After you're contacted by a recruiter he/she will set up an initial call that's about 15-20 minutes. That first discussion is really just to get to know you a bit and make sure you're qualified to move forward. Be prepared to answer why you're interested in this job specifically (not just because it's google) and why google (the perks alone probably isn't the best answer).

Round 2 is 2 30 minute phone interviews with a manager and current Associate Account Strategist that involve behavioral and hypothetical questions. You're given info on what that means and how to prepare but basically behavioral is "tell me about a time when..." and hypothetical is "what would you do in xyz scenario?" Preparing for the behavioral is time consuming if you're really looking to nail them but not difficult. What I recommend is looking at the job posting and writing down all the traits/skills they're looking for, then turn those into potential questions to prepare for. For example, if the job says they're looking for someone who's creative, then be prepared to answer, "tell me about a time when you came up with a creative solution to a problem." Prepare for about 10-15 of these and eventually you'll realize you have a handful of practiced stories that can be applied to multiple types of these questions. Definitely practice these out loud before your interviews and don't expect to be able to read a story pre written on the spot. For the hypotheticals it's more about your thought process than your answer. Just try to be natural, confident and enthusiastic.

For me the more prepared I was the more relaxed I felt and the more I was able to have fun with the interviews while still conveying my relevant qualifications and competence. You'll also be expected to have a basic knowledge of adwords (also look up Adsense just because you should know the difference) but I didn't get any direct questions about these. It's just good to know beforehand. Remember, this is about getting to know you not whether or not you're an expert in their topics yet so don't go nuts studying this. You're not expected to be an adwords expert. After round 2, you go to the office and have 2 30 minute onsite interviews (same question types and prep as the previous round). Make sure you have good questions ready for all rounds, and consider asking something that gets the interviewer to open up a bit. For example, "what's the coolest project you've gotten to work on at google?" Or "what do you think is the toughest thing about this job?" Try to get them thinking, sharing, and seeing you as someone interesting to speak with. After that round, you're info goes to the hiring committee, which objectively reviews all your interviewed feedback and resume. That takes about a week. The whole process start to finish is about 6 weeks but my recruiter was incredible in speeding up the process because I had other interviews simultaneously. I told her right away that because google was my first choice I wanted to move through the process as quickly as possible before getting an offer from someone else. She absolutely could of have been better about that. I cannot say enough good things about googles recruitment process. From start to finish, they work with you and give you all the info you need right away. Also, my recruiter was so great about answering all my questions and acting as a supportive cheerleader throughout the process. Such a strong recruitment team and I am so grateful!

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Anaheim, CA).

Interview

Took a "foo-bar" test, which coding test through the chrome browser and got an email from a recruiter to arrange the schedule of a phone interview. I could pick several available time and date then they finalize the schedule. I had phone interviews, which a two-hour coding interview by two different interviewers. Each interviewer gave me different problem and they have different style. For example, one interviewer allowed me to any of materials to solve the problem but the other didn't.

Interview Questions

• A question on the data structure in programming such as HashMap. They gave me a coding problem and asked the computational complexity of the solution.   Answer Question

Strategy Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Took 4 weeks in total. Overall process was very professional - interviewers were well informed about the process and cared about interviewee experience. Proper combination of case (verbal business case, data analysis, market sizing) and behavioral questions. Although not landed onto the offer, interview experience was great to learn working at Google and its culture. Final decision was delivered by phone (not a thank you email) and the recruiter provided feedbacks from interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What is your mid and long-term professional goal and how Google fits in that path?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Found me via LinkedIn. 4 phone interviews. Paid for my flight out, hotel, rental car, and meals. Enjoyable trip to main campus. 4 face to face interviews. People were friendly and non-threatening but very thorough.

Interview Questions

• Explain a rollout of a new product.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The whole process was good! From online assessment to phone interview to onsite. An HR assist you all the time with the arrangements. The problems they give you are flexible and comprehensive. Feel free to talk to the interviewers, just like you are working together to solve the problems. It was cool to have a lunch round at Google's cafe.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA).

Interview

After I applied on line, I got phone to ask some routine interview and some skill interview question for business analyst. they ask about my work experience and skill and education.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The recruiters were very friendly and gave plenty of info. 1 informal phone call, got to skip technical google hangouts because of employee referral, interviewed onsite in mountain view.

Interview Questions

• The coding was really easy, they care a lot about stats knowledge. Probability, bayes ruls (but not in the straight forward way), i got asked about pvalues, paired 2 sample t-tests, and the formula for r^2.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Extremely unimpressed with Google, in every area I had expected a lot better. Inattentive, lazy recruiters. Incorrect prep and advice videos. Poor interviewers. Incredibly slow process for no reason (I knew this going in)

The interview was actually very easy, but about half of the interviewers were not asking questions that would let you judge talent. Following their own advice about interviewing turned out to be a mistake - their interviewers didn't follow it! Everything they said to study never actually came up. I made it to the final stage, was wanted by a team manager, and the mysterious final hiring committee rejected my application. Ridiculous. This experience made me sell my Google stock.