Google Interview Questions in California | Glassdoor

1,942 Interview Reviews

3.4

1,942 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
    1) Dynamic Programming
    2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
    3) Probability related programs
    4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
    5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
    6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
    7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
    8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
    9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
    10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
    11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
    12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
    Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
    Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
    Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
    Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
    Dynamic programming,
    Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview went seemingly smoothly, except for a couple quirks in the code on the whiteboard. The questions were way easier than I expected. The interviewers were not intimidating at all and did not try to make the process stressful. I felt like I passed and according to HR, the overall feedback was positive. My application went to the hiring committee which, in turn, rejected the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Awesome process. Very simple questions. Keep your nerves cool. Don't worry about very complex questions on the Internet. Do basics and you should be good. I screwed up two simple questions and not expecting offer. I will apply again next year .

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes. Covered a couple of recent roles on the resume, one analytical question (see below) and one long term business growth/competition scenario analysis.

The onsite interview lasted about 5 hours and as many interviews. Each interviewer asked analytical questions similar to those in the phone interview. All questions fit roughly these patterns - for fictitious product/scenario arrive at a formula and use it to provide a number for total size, speed etc.; prioritization exercise for desirable changes to an existing internet product or a new product.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Bruno, CA).

Interview

Initial communication view recruiter. Followed by technical phone screen, then a multi-hour on-site interview. Whole process takes weeks/months. It is very slow moving.

One interviewer did not know how to interview well. Asked the question but when questions were raised, failed to answer the questions and kept talking in circles. Was unable to answer questions due to lack of sufficient explanation.

Strategic Customer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The process was very involved (a total of 10 interviews) and quite lengthy (6 months from first contact to offer) but totally worth it. Interviews were very thorough but friendly and cordial. Everyone was very pleasant and helpful. Based on my personal experience almost everything I googled up about the Google hiring process turned out to be not [entirely] true.

Interview Questions

• Standard technology and and behavioral questions. Several coding sessions over Google docs.   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

They were upfront with the process and the next steps. It took a while to get through all the rounds of interviews and hiring committee, so that was the one downside. People asked fair questions and kept it very objective.

Interview Questions

• If Google was about to spin off another Bet, how would you go about measuring financial and operational success in that business?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

My interview process followed this path:

Recruiter phone interview (personality based / easy) > two separate team member phone interviews (personality based / easy) > Onsite interview with four different team members (skills & scenario based / somewhat challenging)

Interview Questions

• If we have a policy to depreciate certain items for a x number of years, explain your thinking in why we might write off those items sooner   Answer Question
    • Assume you had to prepare a presentation to senior leadership regarding where to build data centers. How might you go about analyzing this?   Answer Question
    • Please write out a script in SQL to
      1. pull columns A, B, C, D, E
      2. search for X and Y from columns A - E
      3. combine multiple tables (Table 1, 2, and 3)
      4. and group the results however you see fit
      Answer Question
    • Walk me through how you'd forecast/budget anything of your choice   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Interview

A coding challenge , followed by two technical phone interviews, then an onsite interview. The coding challenge practice example was very simple, although the two questions in the actual test were rather difficult. I don't believe I did very well on the 2nd one (Some complex string manipulation and recursion problem). The two phone interviews were relatively easy to start but the questions build on each other and get harder. Basic problems -> easy dp optimization -> complex optimization. 2nd interviewer was over an hour late to the call. On site, my first interviewer was also an hour late and I just sat in the waiting room the whole time. The schedule stayed the same so i only had 15 min to do a 45 min interview and was rushed everywhere to finish the rest.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of numbers determine if a nonzero subset of any of its elements can add to 0 mod 2015 with repetition.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The interview process was pretty straightforward. 45 minute phone screen follow by 4 hour on-site interviews in Mountain View. The interviewers ran a wide range for very personable to introverted and only interested in testing you on specific non-public data about Google.

Interview Questions

• Google made me sign an NDA, so I can't repeat the questions here. However, they asked me questions about things that normal people would not be expected to know. Google seems to be a victim of itself, and rather than looking for qualified candidates who know how to be Product Managers, they are looking only for people who know very specific things about their business, very specific market penetration numbers, and information that nobody would have outside Google. I was extremely under-impressed with the lack of focus on skills versus the focus on knowing very specific data about Google which is not publicly available. I would give their interview process an F-.   Answer Question