Google Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

3.4

32 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Scientist/QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Contacted by Recruiter from LinkedIn.
    one pre-screening with the recruiter through phone, and a questionnaire was provided to answer.
    two rounds of phone interviews. (usually one round of phone interview and on-site), but I got another phone interview after the first one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

As usual Google asked me to take an online coding challenge. I did not manage to solve both problems successfully but still managed to go through to the phone screen interview.
    The next phase would be to go to the on site interview but I did not make it.
    The phone screen interview was mostly coding in a shared Google Drive document.
    The questions asked in the phone screen interview were way easier than what I expected, maybe because it was for a 'new university graduate' position. It was a fun and valuable experience.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to write a method that calculates a specific math formula given an integer input.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online and they got back to me in a week. I took a online survey and coding challenge. Coding challenge was pretty tough, considering the time frame you have.

Resident Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

About a week after applying, I received an email from a recruiter telling me about the first steps in the process. I was asked to fill out a form online and then had a phone call with the interviewer where she explained the program. During the phone call, we agreed on a date where I would have my first phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a 2 dimensional grid (represented as a 2D array) that had an area filled in with a certain color, find the perimeter, or border length, of that area. So if the area was a 2 by 2 square, the border length would be 8.

Constraint: Ignore other colors filled in the grid and only count consider the elements around a starting point. Ignore outliers   1 Answer

Technical Solutions Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

3 phone interviews, no on site. Most questions were relevant to the job at hand. Bear in mind, the scope of work varies with project so presumably interviewers will cater their interviews to the specific role in hand.

Interview Questions

• How does the internet work? what happens when you type "www.google.com" into your brower and hit enter   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I was contacted after submitting my resume through their website. The recruiter was friendly and helpful, making sure I knew what to expect throughout the process.

After a technical phone interview, involving answering a coding problem, I was asked to come in for an all day set of interviews consisting of 4 whiteboard coding interviews and a design interview. Around a week later I was told that the interview committee had recommended hiring me and it was two weeks of back and forth with the recruiter before I received an offer.

The whole process from first being contacted to receiving an offer was around two months. This was expedited by the fact I received a competing offer from another company after taking the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• The coding questions seemed intended to determine how I gathered necessary information, my problem solving process, if I can notice errors in my code given some prompting (such as asking how a certain input would be handled), determining complexity of the solution, and so on. They weren't concerned with precise code so much as if I could communicate what I was doing.   Answer Question

Software Engineer (Site Reliability) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

The google HR (or a third-party head hunter associated with Google) contacted me through Linkedin and asked for my CV and well as a get-to-know phone call. Then they arranged a technical phone interview for me. They are quite generous in allowing me to delay that until 1 month later (so that I had more time to prepare since a software engineer position is not a 100% fit for my area).

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard string search. Given a text message where there are people names (a name can be 1,2 3,.. words). Given that each person has their Google+ profile page. They ask to go through the text message and replace all the people's names by their Google+ page.   Answer Question

Ads Solution Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very professional. They keep you updated on the timeline. Everyone was very nice. There are One initial Phone Interview, One Hangout Interview and 4-5 Onsite Interviews for this position.

Interview Questions

• You should be able to talk about algorithms and coding in the language of your choice.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

They gave five technical interviews each lasting 45-50 minutes with a break for lunch. Overall a positive experience even though I wasn't given an offer in the end. Know your data structures and algorithms and even though they say they don't care that much about syntax or what language you use, they care about the code you write in the interview. I felt good leaving the interview because I felt like I was able to solve their problems, but my code wasn't up to their specs.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to tell if three points are colinear.   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied Online. Got an assessment test in 2 days. Had 2 weeks time to complete it. Got feedback in 2 days to schedule for the next phone interview. Basic algorithmic and Data Structures testing.
    Got a feedback in 2 days to schedule for another interview. This interview went real bad. The interviewer was pretty useless. Took a lot of time in explaining the questions and did not convey what result was expected from me.
    The process was assessment test + phone interviews(1 or 2) + whole day interview at Google Office.

The HR recruiter was very helpful. He called and explained why they were rejecting my candidacy. Asked to send my resume directly to him the next time any suitable position comes up instead of applying online.