Google Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Google

3.4

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter, and she is very helpful. Scheduled a Phone interview after two weeks. Questions are clear, but focused on ab test, confidence interval, power analysis. Not machine learning algorithms.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The process was overall very pleasant. Had five rounds of interviews covering statistical coding, probability and statistical inference, product interpretation, time series modeling and behavior questions. Each of the interviews is 45 minutes and there is lunch time in their cafeteria.

Interview Questions

• How do you sort priorities when engaged in multitasking.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

It's okay, but not very impressive. Note that Google uses situational questions heavily. Specifically, they like to give situations that you have never run into before and test how you respond to them. Don't focus on the situations but think about the underlying logical structures. Define your problems then think aloud how you approach them.

Interview Questions

• Data manipulation (coding test)   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Got a reply from recruiter with the questionnaire after 2 days of applying online. After questionnaire, schedule a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• 1.When to use mean and medium?
      2. For sample size n, the margin of error is 3. How many more samples do we need to make the margin of error to 0.3?
      3. X is draw from the normal distribution of mu with standard deviation of 1. Decides whether mu is not zero. So I do the hypothesis testing. How reliable the test is?
      4. Coding Question -> write a function to generate N sample from normal distribution and plot the histogram.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

a very short interview and nice talk with the product manager
    I got a phone interview after talking with the recruiter in the first week
    it is a very short interview and nice talk with the product manager

Interview Questions

• how could you do A/B test if we see a 3% increase for the product?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

First, Pre screen questionnaire
    Then, 45 min Phone screen (technical, coding as well. can choose any programming language)
    After that, 5 onsite interviews (including one behavioral, one coding, four technicals)
    After 1 week, got a feedback from HR

Interview Questions

• basic data science questions (feature selection, overfitting..)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2020.

Interview

Overall the process is very smooth and well-explained. First interview is a phone screen with a recruiter who will walk you through Google's interview process. Next step is a 4-part technical screen lasting an hour:
    1) Describe a past project
    2) Stats question
    3) Causal inference question
    4) Coding question

After that it would have been onsite interviews but I didn't get to that stage. Generally speaking, the types of questions asked were not only more difficult, but also it felt as if the bar was also higher. Positive experience overall, but difficult interview.

Interview Questions

• One question about computational statistics, one question about causal inference, one coding question   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA) in January 2020.

Interview

I applied through a referral. The information that they gave me to prepare for the interview did not really match up with what I was asked in the interview. The interviewer was also several minutes late to our interview and it was a Google Hangouts.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2019.

Interview

I applied for the data Scientist position in the Google Cloud Revenue Acceleration Team. I was referred by a friend and the whole process took about 4 weeks.

Phase 1: Discussion with the Recruiter
    I interviewed for the same role one year ago. I didn't get through and the recruiter at that time refused to provide any specific feedback stating that they were not allowed to share. However, when I reapplied, the recruiter was very helpful and basically walked me through an "approximate" feedback of how I did last time and what went wrong.

First technical screen (telephonic): I skipped this part.

General Cognitive Ability: This interview focused on business case study like questions (2) and lasted 45 minutes. The idea was to
    1. Understand the question and the context quickly
    2. Come up with a structured approach towards the solution
    3. Discuss the questions posed by the interviewer in the middle of the conversation

Overall, preparing for the business case interviews helped me for this interview. The interviewer generally focused and asked questions about the technical aspects of the problem and most of the discussion after coming up with the structure was technical in nature (e.g. What are some ways to effectively reduce the dimensionality of the data? Which models you will pick to answer this (classification) problem and why ? Compare the approach with others etc.)

Technical Round (Stats and ML, 45 minutes): This was relatively easy I would say. The interviewer asked to code a simple problem related to string manipulation and percentile calculation. On the ML bit, most discussion hovered around MLE concepts, CI and Hypothesis testing basics. Overall, not very difficult and the interviewer was very helpful.

Leadership (45 minutes): In this round , interviewer focused on questions related to leadership experiences in the past and asked for examples showcasing initiative, handling conflicts and pushing / advocating for ideas. The questions were very open ended and the interviewer was very helpful. I suggest writing down 10-15 behavioral questions in advance for practice (which I didn't do).

Googlyness (45 minutes): This was simply a rehash of Leadership type questions. The interviewer came prepared with 7-8 classic behavior interview questions and asked them one after the other. By the end I was very tired and I suspect this is the interview which DQed me.

Interview Questions

• Basic MLE, CI and Hypothesis testing. Know it cold.
      Prepare for GCA by doing business case studies
      Write down basic behavior interview questions and prepare good examples for situations   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Recruiter was really helpful throughout the whole interview process. The interviewer was also very professional and helped me calm down during the interview. The questions themselves are not that unique or different from questions you would get from other companies but it seems like their bar for the answers/performance is quite high.

Interview Questions

• Probability question, coding question related to statistical analysis/probability, open-ended question   Answer Question