Google Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 8, 2018

3.3

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

Asked about brain teasers at the first round. second round asked about non normal distributions and probabilities. The process was fairly fast and relatively non software technical. We did not have an exam on coding.

Interview Questions

• Explain a probability distribution that is not normal and how to apply that.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in December 2016.

Interview

Submit resume online, answer a questionnaire with about 20 questions. Then a HR arranged a phone interview and attached a review guide. I followed the guide for reviewing. But during the interview, most of questions are from my keys words in my resume. So understand and prepare explaining everything in your resume.

Interview Questions

• 1. Why use feature selection? If two predictors are highly correlated, what is the effect on the coefficients in the logistic regression? What are the confidence intervals of the coefficients?
      2. K- mean and Gaussian mixture model: what is the difference between K-mean and EM?
      3.How to decided k?
      4.When using Gaussian mixture model, how do you know it is applicable? (Normal distribution)
      4.If the labels are known in the clustering project, how to evaluate the performance of the model? In my project, I use adjusted rank index? But I forgot how it is defined.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

tech-phone interview. applied online and waited 3 days to get the email from HR to set up a screen interview. Then tech-phone interview. The whole process is very quick and their HR is very nice

Interview Questions

• 3 open questions including R code   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

1. Talk to recruiter. Mentioned to read Google unofficial blog. found it useless for the interview but is actually useful for my current job.

2. Then phone screen with a statistician using some shared google doc.

3. Got rejection after one week.

Interview Questions

• You have a google app and you make a change. How do you test if a metric has increased or not?   4 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

HR found me through LinkedIn. Scheduled a an informal phone talk to talk about my background and work interests for about 10 min.

They will have another tech interview and a onsite if you pass the tech interview.

This position at Mountain View now only hires PhDs.....

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in November 2017.

Interview

This job is also called quantitative analyst. The are looking for Ph.D. student. The recruiter found me through Linked. After the informal phone interview, she arranged a video interview for me. The video interview asked tech questions.

Interview Questions

• introduce yourself
      question about probality   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Interview ended after first phone interview.
    Process began with a recruiter contacting me regarding a Data Scientist/QA position. I sent over my CV and received a 20 minute phone call where the recruiter described the position and responsibilities, then asked if I would like to pursue the position. I agreed and completed an online application asking for basic info: location, education, previous employment, and references. I also received an introductory PDF informing me of the Google interview process and some helpful links of "statistics-based things to know" for the interview. Phone interview lasted about 1 hour and consisted of talking about my work in grad school and a bit more details about the position. Then a statistics question was given where I was given a link to a Google Doc to produce code and any other text.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the projects you worked on during your PhD?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Two online assessment and an onsite interview with five data scientists. You also got a chance to talk with their team leaders about what they are doing and how they think about the future of data science.

Interview Questions

• Derive the Gaussian discrimination method under three different cases. Robust linear regression. Bayesian probability calculation. Random Markov Field. RNN.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Just got through the tech phone interview. Contacted by a recruiter after 2-3 months of job application. Didn't get through the interview but was recommended for another UX position in Google.

Interview Questions

• (1) Coding in R, multiply all a[i,j] in a i rows j columns dataset. (2) An pseudo email from a college asking for suggestions on a research project.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Questionnaire regarding past projects and approaches to solving data science problems. A lot of back and forth with recruiter regarding scheduling. This was followed by phone screen with a senior data scientist.

Interview Questions

• How can you tell if a given coin is biased?   3 Answers