Google Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 24, 2017

3.6

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

tech-phone interview. applied online and waited 3 days to get the email from HR to set up a screen interview. Then tech-phone interview. The whole process is very quick and their HR is very nice

Interview Questions

• 3 open questions including R code   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

Asked about brain teasers at the first round. second round asked about non normal distributions and probabilities. The process was fairly fast and relatively non software technical. We did not have an exam on coding.

Interview Questions

• Explain a probability distribution that is not normal and how to apply that.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in December 2016.

Interview

Submit resume online, answer a questionnaire with about 20 questions. Then a HR arranged a phone interview and attached a review guide. I followed the guide for reviewing. But during the interview, most of questions are from my keys words in my resume. So understand and prepare explaining everything in your resume.

Interview Questions

• 1. Why use feature selection? If two predictors are highly correlated, what is the effect on the coefficients in the logistic regression? What are the confidence intervals of the coefficients?
      2. K- mean and Gaussian mixture model: what is the difference between K-mean and EM?
      3.How to decided k?
      4.When using Gaussian mixture model, how do you know it is applicable? (Normal distribution)
      4.If the labels are known in the clustering project, how to evaluate the performance of the model? In my project, I use adjusted rank index? But I forgot how it is defined.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

1. Talk to recruiter. Mentioned to read Google unofficial blog. found it useless for the interview but is actually useful for my current job.

2. Then phone screen with a statistician using some shared google doc.

3. Got rejection after one week.

Interview Questions

• You have a google app and you make a change. How do you test if a metric has increased or not?   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Got an employee refer and the whole process took 1 month. First a phone screen by HR and then technical phone interviews. Then I was rejected. The interviewer was remote and cold.

Interview Questions

• Compared advantages and disadvantages of several programming languages   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter after a referral. I had one phone screen and then a take home challenge. The phone screen consisted of some very basic stats and CS questions. This was followed by a detailed take home challenge where I had to analyze a data set on google's internal data.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

It's an on campus interview. There were two rounds, one is about resume and machine learning questions, and the interviewer asked to implement some machine learning algorithm using pseudo code; the other is about some coding and algorithm questions.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview

One recruiter reached out to me over LinkedIn. I was then handed off to another recruiter who performed a short phone screen. After that there was a longer phone interview with the leader of that particular team. The longer phone call took about an hour in total. They seemed to be trying to move the whole process along quickly.

Interview Questions

• There was a question about SQL joins, string parsing in R, some simple machine learning, as well as some general questions about particularly risky or creative things you have done.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in December 2012.

Interview

There was an online form to return, but it seems that it is MUCH better if there is a current Google employee to do a recommendation. An HR person is assigned and moves the process along. The first step is a phone interview with a technical person. The interviewer asked three technical questions. The second was trivial, the other two were not. A problem was that the interviewer was looking for a specific right answer, rather than a right answer.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to spend 2 months in California being trained?   1 Answer