Google Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2017

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

Applied for an entry-level engineering position online. Was contacted pretty quickly by an HR rep, who checked my basic credentials (school, when I could start, etc) and scheduled two phone interviews with engineers.

I was expecting some of those weird "Google" questions like "How many ping pong balls can fit in a school bus?" but apparently they don't ask anything like that anymore. Most of the questions were about algorithms and data structures, so definitely brush up on those. (Hint: when in doubt, just say you'll use a hash table)

Interview Questions

• How can you find a cycle in a singly-linked list (a place where the last node links back to a previous node)?   1 Answer
  • Given two arrays of integers, return a new array containing only the common elements.   1 Answer
  • How would you write an algorithm to search across many machines?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

Don't bother reading these questions. It won't help. Google's interviews are set up such that the questions either have impossible answers, or the problems are changed so much looking them up won't matter. You just have to have very solid computer science fundamentals and show enthusiasm. For such a large company, the interview process feels so ad hoc that it almost deterred me from accepting an offer. I ended up accepting, but I'm hoping the interview process will be improved so others won't make a decision the other way.

Interview Questions

• How would you build Google search?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

People were friendly, there were easy interview questions about all kinds of fun stuff like trees, searching, arrays, optimizing code, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2009.

Interview

It takes FOREVER from when you apply to get an interview (in the ballpark of 4 months, easily). You'll get contacted by various HR people, who don't really coordinate with each other.

The interviews themselves were fairly difficult technical questions; I'd recommend studying extensively and being systematic in your approach.

Interview Questions

• Find the maximum rectangle (in terms of area) under a histogram in linear time.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in June 2009.

Interview

I interviewed for a network architect position, stating clearly at the beginning of the interview that I was involved in application and TCP level performance analysis. However, the interviewer kept questing me about layer 2 material because that's what he knew. It was clearly not the right role for me, but I decided not to continue the interview process after that.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2009.

Interview

a lot of questions in phone screen. waited 3 weeks before on site. there I met with 5 people. They asked me various question to test technical, functional, behavior skills. It also included a couple of famous Google brain puzzles.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2009.

Interview

very positive. Programming and brain teasers questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

very smooth and pleasant

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2008.

Interview

very few steps with a lot of waiting in between. the interviews were fairly rigorous, and the interviewers very smart, but the focus is very much on academics, and it's very easy to fall between the cracks and be forgotten. call every week and it will still be months between steps.

Interview Questions

• count the number of bits set in a bitmap of arbitrary size.   2 Answers

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in September 2008.

Interview

I got a call to schedule a initial phone interview. It was scheduled in a week, but the questions they asked me was somewhat unanswerable under my knowledge. So I failed.
    I want them to go little easy on the interview and try to get to know the candidate a bit more than just asking the whole bunch of difficult questions. I don't like that!!!

Interview Questions

• Given a time-ordered log of user visits to web pages find the most common 3-page sequence   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2008.

Interview

The interviewers were extremely bright and talented engineers. It was fun working out technical questions with them and their level of questions gave me some insight into their technical aptitude.

Interview Questions

• refuse to discuss interview questions   1 Answer

Negotiation

Minimum negotiation