Google Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 18, 2017

3.5

64 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

Phone screen was good, done via Google Docs. All about Trees.

Interview consisted of several whiteboard-problem solving sessions; more trees, hash-tables.

6 interviews in total. 4 went well, 2 not so well. Last 2 were with people with very poor interpersonal skills... not sure if that was part of the test... I would not have accepted an offer anyway due to (a) location [Mountain View is very expensive, I found out while visiting], (b) office layout [everyone is crammed in to very small places], (c) attitude of last 2 interviewers.... what if one of those was my boss?

And the food wasn't *that* great :)

Interview Questions

• Explain how a debugger works   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in September 2010.

Interview

I sent my resume into google without reviewing the site or google job requirements. I was called for a 1st level phone screening which was easy. The recruiter was very nice and got back to me quickly and we moved onto the 1st phone screening.

I have been non hands on for a few months so the phone screening was a bit more challenging then it should have been. The interviewer wanted in depth answers like how the struct and bits were aligned.

Note: review your C and comp sci {algorithms, unix system engineering, etc}. I strongly suggest reviewing 'Design of the Unix Operating System' before going into this interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you sort an array of one billions integers?   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

Unlike many others have mentioned, the interviewers were all very pleasant and respectful. The whole process feels like a giant aptitude test, but no crazy brain teasers like many suspect. That means everything listed on your resume is subject to scrutiny. Some questions were not formulated the best way and therefore seemed trickier than they really were. If you don't feel well enough on the day of the interview, I suggest you try to reschedule. You really need to make sure your mind will be at its sharpest on the day of the interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you know two proportions from the same population for answers to the same question are significantly different?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

Very competent interviewers, be sure you know the "tricky" algorithms and "big O".

A very positive, though unsuccessful, process.

Interview Questions

• The key thing was understanding how the java garbage collector worked.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

My on-site interview had 5 rounds. The questions were quite simple. I went in expecting to be grilled on a lot of theoretical computer science, but the questions were of a very practical nature. All the interviewers were extremely nice and helpful with giving hints when I got stuck. Overall, a very positive experience even though I didn't get hired.

Interview Questions

• A lot of whiteboard coding. I found the algorithm & datastructures questions to quite easy. I did badly in one of the coding rounds, mostly because I was not used to somebody looking over when I'm writing code and being conscious, made me make some very silly mistakes.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Got the email from the recruiter that my resume has been short listed. Then she called me and discussed my back ground and the opportunity. Of course, thanked me for my interest in Google :) I had 2 phone interviews and then I was called for onsite interview. I met with 4 different googlers. Interviews were relaxed, and more of brainstorming sessions. I loved the whole process. Way to go Google!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

After recruiter's phone call with general organizational questions, I had short technical phone interview.
    Interviewer was late for 10 minutes, thus we talked only 30-35 min. For this time he was able to ask me not very much: some of my previous experience, most difficult bug I've faced recently, and one technical question with coding in shared doc. After that he let me to ask him something about google. He answered one question and finished interview, so I had no change to fund out everything I planned. Also I had a feeling, the guy was not interested to be there, coz he was not leading me through resolution process and talked very little. Also his communication skills could be better - I hardly understood his questions in Indian English and asked to repeat several times. Google should sent better skilled and more open English speakers to interview, IMHO.
    I successfully resolved technical coding question in two different ways (time and memory efficient) with commenting my resolution thoughts, but have got negative response from recruiter in 1 week.

Interview Questions

• Write a code to find out if two string words are anagrams   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

first a phone interview with some technical questions that were straightforward. invited to the googleplex for 1:1 interview with 4 people. pretty relaxed interview about background and skillsets.

informed a week later that it was not a fit for the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

First there is a phone interview. Then you go to the company campus and sit in a room and stressed people turn up late to ask you a series of technical questions of increasing difficulty. Some of the interviewers were interested in thinking about their problems, but most were acting more like it was their duty to come to these meetings. One interviewer was outright rude when I pointed out that he was in fact wrong in his solution to a problem he posed. Generally the process felt mechanised, impersonal and ineffective. Having worked in similar firms and been involved in the hiring process there it felt that Google was more interested in being different than actually finding good candidates. The food on offer was so on, nothing special compared with other bay area high tech companies.

Interview Questions

Took too long to make an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Cambridge, MA) in January 2010.

Interview

Lots of red tape and bureaucracy to get to the on-site. Then a bunch of really good questions in a series of 5 one on one interviews. Some basic questions but then lots of algorithmic stuff, pointer arithmetic, optimization questions, scaling questions. LOTS of questions about how to make things work well on 100k+ computers at once. They also do a surprisingly good job of selling a company that practically sells itself.

Interview Questions

• Solve the "game of life" problem in C++ so that it will be both OO and efficient. Scalability and parallelism are also pluses.   1 Answer