Google Interaction Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Interaction Designer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone Interview, Design exercise, onsite interview. There is a nice recruiter along the way with immediate response which makes the whole process better. Every interviewer is nice and wants to bring the best out of you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why Google? What can you contribute to us?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied through an internal referral. Recruiter reached out to set up a phone interview. About a day or two later, they asked me to complete a design challenge. If they liked the submission, they would ask you to go on-site for interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell them about one of the projects in my portfolio. Then, followed up with feasibility questions.   Answer Question

Interaction Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in October 2016.

Interview

I got the interview opportunity from their recruiter and interviewed with an interaction designer from their team later. I interviewed over the phone call. He asked me several questions and let me go over my portfolio.

Interaction Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in September 2016.

Interview

There are three rounds total, first being a phone interview with a designer from one of the Google offices. The interview was straightforward and went by pretty quickly - it was mainly a conversation about my interests, portfolio, and any questions I had for the interviewer. The next round included a design exercise - it was enjoyable, but also could be lengthy depending on how much time you put into it. I didn't make it past that. Overall, the process was quick and I always knew what was happening thanks to my recruiter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I did interview with 5 people, mostly pretty young, with not much experience.
    All five interviewers asked me the same exact question and none of them asked me what I actually do today, which was pretty odd.
    The interview style was pretty casual, and I did enjoy all conversations. I left thinking that it went really well, but thinking back I had no idea how they could understand my real experience since none of them bothered asking what my responsibility and current job is like.
    Overall I had the impression they were looking for a pretty junior position.
    When I got home I concluded that I was not impressed and that I wasn't willing to move there. The facility was ok, nothing special. The food was average cafeteria food. Most of the people I talked with didn't seem to really love working at Google. One of them said that it was just ok. When I asked about their specific job most of them did something that was less challenging and interesting than my current job. People I talked to were not all the geniuses I expected.
    So, I wasn't going to accept the job, but I am kind of bummed that I didn't get offered the job either.
    Overall it was an interesting learning experience. I am glad I did it and that I kind of dismantled a big myth I have been building from years. I would recommend anyone to try it and judge on their own.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Google seems to have a quite unique and data driven interview process.

1. Phone screen with a design manager: go deep into one or two of your projects - walk the person through, and then answer questions related to the projects. Was asked lots of questions around my design process and collaboration style.

2. Design exercise: choose one brief from three that are given. You're given a week to complete and hand it in. The brief recommends to spend 7-10 hours, but do that only at your own risk. I worked on it for an entire week every evening.

3. On-site: 1 hour portfolio presentation followed by six 1:1s. During 45 min interviews, the interviewer goes through a list of pre-set questions, and take notes furiously as you answer. This is quite different from other companies where interviews are conducted more like a 2-way conversation, and often done by people whom you're actually going to work with. At Google, the notes are submitted to 'hiring committees' who make the final decision. This is said to remove any kind of personal bias during decision making and select employees purely based on their skill, knowledge, and behavior.
    I was asked to do 3 design exercises throughout the day. The interviewer is present in the room and will ask you questions as you go through the exercise.
    Google's technical session was the most technical among all companies I interviewed.

4. After I was extended an offer, I did information interviews with a couple of hiring manager. This is to help match making. In my case, I got to choose which team to join.

Interview Questions

• Countless variations of 'How do you deal with ---- situation?'.   2 Answers

Negotiation

I negotiated based on other competing offers. Google replied with a revised compensation in less than a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Process was lengthy. First applied end of March, was reached out to a month later to say a recruiter had received my materials, and would be looking into a fit. Two weeks later they followed up with a request for open times for a screen in the next three weeks. Heard nothing until end of three weeks, then was asked for more availability. This time around, the screen was scheduled quickly for the next week. After the phone screen, I was asked to pick from one of three design prompts and do a design exercise.

One plus was that they were really forthcoming about the process. From the first scheduling email for the phone screen, it outlined what and how many steps would be required to complete the loop.

Interview Questions

• What app/tool/thing you use often would you re-design if you could?
      If you were a startup CEO, what other members/roles of your team would you need around you?
      Design prompt
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Provide available dates/times within the next 3 weeks for a phone interview with someone from their UX team to learn more about my background. Interview takes an hour. Receive an email in a week.

Interaction Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google in May 2016.

Interview

I got an internal referral for a position I was well-qualified for. It took about 5-6 weeks for a recruiter to reach out via email to set up a phone screen interview. The recruiter emailed me on a weekday late in the morning and asked me to sign up for a timeslot on his calendar the SAME AFTERNOON. I was on a business trip at the time with a packed schedule, so of course I couldn't make a time slot the same afternoon. I replied back to get another time set up the next week and got a reply in the middle of that week specifying a time to talk the VERY NEXT DAY. Okay, I manage to shuffle tomorrow's schedule to fit him in. When the time actually came, THE RECRUITER NEVER CALLED. I sent another email offering to schedule another time and haven't gotten a response in weeks. World-class recruiting department, A++++++, would get my time wasted again.

Interview Questions

• When are you available to have a phone interview?   1 Answer
    • If you aren't available for a time slot, could you email me back with times you're available?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Dallas, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

First off the recruiters are awesome. The process was in 4 steps starting with a email interview, a phone call, a design test, and a final interview in-house. Great process and really fun test.

Interview Questions

• They really asked about my portfolio and case-studies and why I choose to make the decision I did in my previous work.   Answer Question