Google Interaction Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 29, 2017

3.5

47 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with the recruiter who then gave me a questionnaire to fill out. Afterwards I was given a design exercise to work on with no deadline. Turned in the exercise for review, and didn't move forward.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Interaction Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Got connected directly with a recruiter through email, talked to recruiter on phone and then scheduled phone interview with a Google designer immediately. The recruiter sent me a guide to how to prepare for interview which was very helpful. That went well and then I got a design exercise to work on.

Interview Questions

• What was your process for designing this interaction (portfolio related)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone Interview, Design exercise, onsite interview. There is a nice recruiter along the way with immediate response which makes the whole process better. Every interviewer is nice and wants to bring the best out of you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why Google? What can you contribute to us?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

There are three rounds total, first being a phone interview with a designer from one of the Google offices. The process was straight forward and simple. All the Interviewers were great and very knowledgeable in their respected fields.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why Google? What can you contribute to us?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied through an internal referral. Recruiter reached out to set up a phone interview. About a day or two later, they asked me to complete a design challenge. If they liked the submission, they would ask you to go on-site for interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell them about one of the projects in my portfolio. Then, followed up with feasibility questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Had two phone interviews and was given a design exercise. After review of my design exercise, I was flown to the Google headquarters, where I had a full day of interviews. I had one initial portfolio presentation with 6 people, followed by 45 minute 1-1 interviews with each of the 6 people.

Interview Questions

• There is a new residential skyscraper that also has a restaurant on top. Access to all apartments and the restaurant are secured behind a locked door. Design an interface that will be on the first floor and take the place of a door person.   1 Answer

Interaction Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in October 2016.

Interview

I got the interview opportunity from their recruiter and interviewed with an interaction designer from their team later. I interviewed over the phone call. He asked me several questions and let me go over my portfolio.

Interaction Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in September 2016.

Interview

There are three rounds total, first being a phone interview with a designer from one of the Google offices. The interview was straightforward and went by pretty quickly - it was mainly a conversation about my interests, portfolio, and any questions I had for the interviewer. The next round included a design exercise - it was enjoyable, but also could be lengthy depending on how much time you put into it. I didn't make it past that. Overall, the process was quick and I always knew what was happening thanks to my recruiter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The process took over 6+ weeks . Applied through online application . Recruiter then reached out after like a week later . Simple process as we go through telephonic round followed by a design exercise and later on , On-Site interview . Overall experience was good but the design exercise was bit hard as you need to cover all the possible constraints .

Interview Questions

• Why Google ? What can you contribute to us ? , P.S - I see this question a lot over Glassdoor for a similar role .   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Google seems to have a quite unique and data driven interview process.

1. Phone screen with a design manager: go deep into one or two of your projects - walk the person through, and then answer questions related to the projects. Was asked lots of questions around my design process and collaboration style.

2. Design exercise: choose one brief from three that are given. You're given a week to complete and hand it in. The brief recommends to spend 7-10 hours, but do that only at your own risk. I worked on it for an entire week every evening.

3. On-site: 1 hour portfolio presentation followed by six 1:1s. During 45 min interviews, the interviewer goes through a list of pre-set questions, and take notes furiously as you answer. This is quite different from other companies where interviews are conducted more like a 2-way conversation, and often done by people whom you're actually going to work with. At Google, the notes are submitted to 'hiring committees' who make the final decision. This is said to remove any kind of personal bias during decision making and select employees purely based on their skill, knowledge, and behavior.
    I was asked to do 3 design exercises throughout the day. The interviewer is present in the room and will ask you questions as you go through the exercise.
    Google's technical session was the most technical among all companies I interviewed.

4. After I was extended an offer, I did information interviews with a couple of hiring manager. This is to help match making. In my case, I got to choose which team to join.

Interview Questions

• Countless variations of 'How do you deal with ---- situation?'.   2 Answers

Negotiation

I negotiated based on other competing offers. Google replied with a revised compensation in less than a week.