Google Administrator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Administrator Interview Questions

Updated Jun 7, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

I was referred internally. A recruiter reached out to me to schedule a phone screen, which went well and I was moved onto the next round, where I interviewed with someone in the role I was interviewing for.

Interview Questions

• How would you get people to attend a training session and ensure they don't cancel? // How would you convince an instructor to host a training session?   Answer Question

Administrative Business Partner Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I had a 30 minute phone screening, then a one hour administrative test online, then I went in to the offices to meet with 2 Administrative Business Partners and 2 executives in one visit. The in-person meetings lasted from 15-30 minutes each. Everyone was respectful.

Interview Questions

• There were questions about prioritizing to see what choices I would make. There weren't right or wrong answers to the questions, they just want to get a feel for who you are, how you respond to situations.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I had an internal reference and got connected with a recruiter who setup a "Get to know you" phone call right away. This phone call was very laid back, and she asked basic questions such as "Why do you want this job" and "Walk me through your resume".

After the initial phone call, the recruiter scheduled an "analysis" interview for me with a current Administrative Business Partner (ABP). This interview consisted of 3 hypothetical questions that were fairly difficult. Each question had about 5-7 followup questions that were somewhat difficult as well. That phone interview lasted about an hour.

I received an email from my recruiter the next day saying that they wanted me to move onto the next round. My first onsite interview was schedule for the following week. First, I met with two ABPs for about 45 minutes, and this was an interview to gauge your fit with the team/your googlyness. Right after that interview, I met with another ABP and we talked for about another 35 minutes and it was very casual and I got to ask them all the questions I had in mind about the team/role.

The same day after my onsite interview, I received an email saying that they wanted me to move onto the final round and meet with 3 executives. I had an interview with the executives the following week which was more of a casual chat/get to know you.

Within a couple days, the recruiter let me know that I got the job.

Interview Questions

• "At a high level, walk me through your resume"

"Tell me about your event coordinating and budget management experience"

"Tell me about [a specific project you worked on."

"What strengths will you bring to this team?"

"Tell me about a time you had to explain a complex idea to a group of people"
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

I was aware of how long the process took, and was so interested in Google as an employer that I stuck with it. But if you are in need of employment ASAP it may be harder to wait through the process. It is not uncommon to have to wait many weeks/months to secure an offer.

Their process seems to be in stages, where you must pass each stage in order to proceed.

1)Recruiter interview and job explanation (phone)
    2)Situational Interview with another ABP (phone)
    3)Interview with the administrative team with support needs (in-person)
    4)Interview with Executive/s you will be supporting (in-person)
    5)Final hiring approval by committee w/offer

The timeline that I experienced is as follows:

-Recruiter contacts me through an internal referral to set up interview
    -3 days later I had a phone interview with the Recruiter and was told immediately at the end she would set up round 2 of interview process
    -10 days later I did the situational interview with a Google ABP, with no immediate feedback at the end. Was told 3 days later by the recruiter that I passed, and would be entered into their pool of candidates and would be contacted when an opening came up
    -Was contacted 2 weeks later by a new recruiter about an opening on a team and was invited in for an in-person interview. Scheduled 5 days later. No immediate feedback was given after the interview. Feedback was given 3 days later that the team did not feel I was a match.
    -Was contacted 1 week later by another recruiter about another opening on a different team and was invited in to interview with them. Heard back from the recruiter within a few hours after the interview was over that they wanted to move me to stage 4
    -Went in for 4th round interview with Executives. No immediate feedback. Heard back from the recruiter 2 days later that they wanted to move forward with me, and that she needed to submit my candidacy for final approval.
    -Received job offer 1 week later

So from the first contact with a recruiter to job offer was roughly 8 weeks. Had the 2nd team I interviewed with not thought I was a fit, I would have been put back into the pool for other opportunities.

I imagine many people are actively searching for employment and receive offers from other companies before Google has gone through their rigorous process and that's why most reviews show NO OFFER. If you stick it through and are not disheartened by rejection, you will probably find a good fit and a job offer.

Every single person that I spoke with, met, and worked with during the process was incredibly professional, respectful, encouraging, and overall a pleasure to deal with! By far the most pleasant interviewing experience I have ever had!

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite Google product and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

This review is purely regarding the process, no comments on questions asked or themes. There are many helpful reviews on Glassdoor that did help me very much in preparing. Though the interviews were fun, super stimulating and exciting, I'm here to tell you about the emotional roller coaster that is Google's process.

My biggest take away from my five month journey was seeing how they're feeding a cycle of hiring a certain type of person. From a very particular socio-economic background. Google is hiring those that can afford to apply. Recent grads? I hope you can move back in with your parents.

Don't at any point believe this will be quick. Don't plan on being able to survive this unemployed without a large savings, financial assistance from a partner or family, or/and the strangers you might meet and share with them that you're interviewing at Google and then they will share with you a story they heard about their doctor's cousin's kid who spent seven months interviewing there. These stories will help but they won't make it any easier. I am one of those stories now. From first email contact with a recruiter to my last interview, which might not be my last interview, it look five months.

This will only be quick once you land the first screening and then the next two interviews. If you pass through these three and then they throw you in the pool of active candidates... good luck mate. Keep your head up and know you're worth it. This pool is what I've come to understand is a bit like online dating, except you don't have any power to swipe through. Teams have access to these candidates and if your profile looks like it'll be a good fit, then they can request an interview with you. I've gone through two of these already. Two half-blind dates with two different teams. And I'm still an active candidate, so who knows. Maybe Google will ghost me. Or maybe in two months someone will request another interview.

I personally don't believe this process is healthy or efficient in hiring on a more diverse set of employees. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you had to make a difficult decision   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Process took 3-4 months from initial phone call to the job offer. The recruiter I worked with was amazing. She was very responsive and always kept me updated. There are 2 rounds of phone calls then 2 rounds of in-person. Questions were straightforward and about my experiences. Everyone was very welcoming and made me feel comfortable. I interviewed several years ago so I was already familiar with the process. You might have to interview with several teams since finding a good fit is important. This is typically why the process can take a while.

Interview Questions

• There were questions about my people/communication skills and handling difficult situations.   Answer Question

Administrative Business Partner Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied through referral, was contacted the same day for invitation to interview.

Phone Screen - there was an initial phone screen, in which the recruiter who contacted me via email interviewed me. It was described as an informational interview. I was asked general, logistical questions first. We went through the resume, and then I was told about the general process and timeline. I was given a chance to ask questions, and then told that I was being invited for another phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions for me?   1 Answer

Unix/Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by email for a position I applied online. The 30 minutes phone screen interview was scheduled.

When I answered the phone, this person started talking and I could barely understand because of a background noise that sounded like someone squeezing a paper bag. I told the person about the noise, and it suddenly stopped like a miracle. The person asked me if it was better and I said yes.

The person who interviewed me was young and with very little experience. He never told me what he does at Google. So, I don't know if he was an HR person. His emails don't have signature. He poorly described the interview process and the position. He started going through a list of technical questions, and even with my 12+ years of experience as Unix / Linux Systems Administration I thought some of the questions were very weird and totally pointless. I asked him if one of my answer was correct. He responded he doesn't know the answers to any of the questions he was asking me. He was going to send my answers to another person to check. I find very inappropriate that someone is asking you questions that they have no idea off. I felt that my answers were going to a blackhole with no feedback what so ever. This interview was a waste of my time and a terrible experience.

I have a lot of experience doing interviews, and I just had interviews with Facebook and Amazon. The point I'm trying to make is that if you get a person like I did with little experience and not knowing how to conduct an interview, it really doesn't matter how good you are and if you have the skills for the job. This person will be between you and the company you want to work for, and they will be responsible for your failure, not you.

Interview Questions

• How many bytes there is in a MAC address?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process was thorough and spread out over several weeks, sometimes months. You are interview on multiple subjects relating to the role, and by multiple people who you would interface with or share a similar roles with, at various levels of the company. (Eg. other ABP's, team members, directors, etc.) You must "pass" at each level before you will actually meet with the director or team you will be supporting. Sometimes the wait for information about placement or a next interview can be quite long, so don't hesitate to reach out to your recruiter for regular updates. Don't be afraid to ask for interview accommodations if you have a disability that may affect the way communicate in person or over the phone-- Google is very good about meeting the needs of their candidates. Eg. Using video chat instead of a phone if you have hearing loss, etc. If you do not get the role you applied for within a particular team, but are a good fit for the role in general or are highly recommended by a current employee, they may call you back to interview with other teams as well.

Interview Questions

• You are planning an environmental awareness summit for 400 people across many tech companies and platforms. You have a budget of $2000 for post-summit gift bags/party favors. How do you go about choosing your swag?   2 Answers

Administrative Business Partner Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in November 2015.

Interview

I had a employee referral, then was emailed within the next week. The reviews are very accurate on here about the process. The first interview was pretty basic, but I had a lot of enthusiasm and tried to be very clear about my background. At the end of the call the recruiter told me that I was going to have a second interview and that it would be the beginning of the next week. It was and I did it. It wasn't hard but I think I became too relaxed about it. I answered a little too much about my non-profit experience rather than my admin. A week and a half later, I didn't hear from anyone and I took this as a bad sign--it was. After writing to the recruiter she asked me if I had time to chat, which she called me and told me that I didn't have the background they were looking for. Good luck, everyone!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What is your favorite product?   Answer Question