Google Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3,863 Interview Reviews

3.4

3,863 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
    1) Dynamic Programming
    2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
    3) Probability related programs
    4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
    5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
    6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
    7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
    8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
    9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
    10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
    11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
    12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
    Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
    Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
    Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
    Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
    Dynamic programming,
    Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview:
    The Interviewer was late for 20 mins... Ask nothing on my resume.
    Tow questions:
    1) A string consists of ‘0’, ‘1’ and '?'. The question mark can be either '0' or '1'. Find all possible combinations for a string.
    2) Give you a text file, remove duplicated lines.
        Follow up: If the file is very large, general hash map takes too much spaces, come up with a better solution.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I first had a phone screen interview. After this, I was asked to come onsite for further interviews. I had 4 whiteboard and 1 lunch interview with the Youtube team. After this, I was told that my application is going through the Hiring Committee.

Hiring committee asked my HR to find a team for me before giving any decision. I then had two phone interviews with different teams in Android. I informed my HR that I am interested in the first team. Next day, HR emailed me and said that this team no longer has an open position. I again went through the same process. This time, platform team was interested in talking to me. I gave 2 phone interviews wherein they made me write code. After their feedback, I was put through the Hiring committee again and this time I got a thumbs up from them. 1 week after that I was put through executive committee and got my offer.

I had 7 other offers and my HR asked me about all of them before putting me through executive review. They gave me more than any other company I had offer from.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview went seemingly smoothly, except for a couple quirks in the code on the whiteboard. The questions were way easier than I expected. The interviewers were not intimidating at all and did not try to make the process stressful. I felt like I passed and according to HR, the overall feedback was positive. My application went to the hiring committee which, in turn, rejected the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Awesome process. Very simple questions. Keep your nerves cool. Don't worry about very complex questions on the Internet. Do basics and you should be good. I screwed up two simple questions and not expecting offer. I will apply again next year .

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The first round is behavioral, where I talked with someone and explained why I was interested in working at Google. The second round is technical interview with two parts. I did not get a third round.

Interview Questions

• The first question is string manipulation. The second is graph.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Was given a coding challenge. It was pretty easy. I was then contacted to do 2 phone interivews. I studied using Cracking the Coding Interview so the difficulty was basically what I expected.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

One hour technical phone interview. Spoke with a recruiter who explained the on site interview process and answered any questions I had. On site interview consisted of 4 separate one hour technical interviews with a 35 minute lunch "interview" between.

Interview Questions

• Find n closest points to the origin (any language)   1 Answer

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

The actual interview was fine, though I bombed it. It was more or less the same stuff most places ask about (delegation, applying arguments) but what really left a bad taste in my mouth is that the recruiter told me to instead study algorithms and data structures. It's a very disappointing feeling to get questions you aced for your current employer years ago but botched because you focused on big O over the weekend instead. This was my second time being approached by Google (the first time was a much easier tech screen), I won't be accepting again.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that calls a reference (with args) after a delay.   1 Answer
    • Implement a deferred event handler that recursively walks up the tree to determine whether to fire.   Answer Question

Engineering Practicum Interview

Interview

I applied online, got contacted by a recruiter about two weeks later, and then had two 45 min back to back phone interviews. The recruiter and the interviewers are very nice. The process took about two month.

Interview Questions

• They basically asked about data structures and algorithm question. The questions are not very hard.   Answer Question