Google Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 21, 2017

3.3

127 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The first round was with the HR and then with the hiring manager.The phone interview with the hiring manager was basically questions from my resume, hypothetical situations, case studies.Was told during the interview that I was selected for the next round.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Interview

waste of time. Not impressed with google standards, they better learn how to engage with the candidates rather than looking for pre-written answers. looks like book worms, like college exam.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer asked set of written questions and expect answers according to his view. He doesn't even have basic skill about project management. It is all about applying processes and processes for individual project, what is best suitable for your project. I thought he was book worm and expect standard answers available in his answer sheet. It total waste of my time.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Standard Google approach. First I had a hangout chat followed by onsite 4 hour interview. Followed up with additional hangout review. Friendly and supportive. Some questions were repeated during on or more of the interview sessions.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you manage risk and a real life example thereof.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

This was my 2nd loop at Google in the past few years. Much like the first loop, this loop was a total waste of time. They fooled me twice, this one is on me. 3rd time ain't gonna happen.

Google reached out to my via LinkedIn to discuss Program Management opportunities. I spoke with the recruiter and told her that I'm only interested in Program Management positions, NOT TPM positions (which at Google are basically engineers - learned that lesson the first time I looped there). I have no desire to be a Google TPM, nor do I have the skill sets. I was explicitly clear about this. I was assured that I would be looping for a Program Management position, not a TPM. So I moved forward with the loop. For a PM. Not a TPM. Have I made that point clear yet?

The first interviewer started asking me how to troubleshoot failed servers. Huh? Nothing on my resume would give anyone the slightest idea that I ever spent time troubleshooting servers. He also told me that in this position I'm expected to be able to engineer at the same level as an engineer 2 levels below me. I was confused, but thought it was just a misunderstanding….so I proceeded. I'm a PM. Not interviewing for a TPM position. Never have I been an engineer. So I answered the questions the best I could (insulting his intelligence in the process) and kept a positive attitude.

The next interview was basic leadership questions. It was a great 45 minute interview, I was feeling good. He was friendly, we had a great conversation. Alright, let's roll!

The lunch interview isn't an interview, you just go to lunch with someone doing the job you're interviewing for and they try and sell you on Google. "Look how cool we are!" It was interesting that my lunch interview was set up with a TPM however, not a PM. Hmmm. Red flags continue to raise. But I got a free lunch out of it and their office was cool. There are worse ways to spend 45 mins - case in point, the next interview.

The interview after lunch was a train wreck. Train. Wreck. Or dumpster fire, whatever you prefer. It was the NALSD interview (look it up online, I would say Google it but I don't like them right now). I expected this interview to be a challenge going into the loop, but it was much much worse than I expected. Really felt like the purpose of this 45 min firing squad of 1 was to satisfy something missing from the interviewers life. He was as personable as a boat anchor, and precision questioned everything that left my lips. This interview experience couldn't possibly get worse at this point.

It got worse. The 4th interview is where the wheels came off. She was asking me technical questions, nothing to do with Program Management. 30 minutes into the interview I asked her if I was looping for a TPM position or a PM position. She told me it was for a TPM position. Yep, the same position I told them I wasn't interested in. I smiled and politely told her that we were wasting each others time at this point, we had a pleasant 15 minute chat until the final interview. She handled the situation well.

The last interview was a standard PM interview. He did confirm with me that I was looping for a TPM position however. He was super nice, apologized for the misunderstanding, and conducted the interview.

I called the recruiter and sent him an email immediately after the loop. He said he'd look into the misunderstanding, but I never heard back from him about it until the final rejection phone call.

Overall the people on the loop were pleasant (aside from the guy performing the NALSD interview, but I believe they are jerks by design…or he wasn't held enough as a child). The amazing thing is it took them 1.5 weeks to get back to me with a rejection. Given that I basically shut down the 4th interviewer, sent the recruiter an email of disgust afterwards, I would have thought they could have sent me the rejection by the time I was cozy in bed that night. Guess there was a lot of latency in their rejection process.

Anyway, that was my experience. I will never interview with them again (I'm sure the feeling is mutual). I strongly suggest if you are not an Engineer that you do not loop with them for a PM position…unless you just wanted to go to get a tour of their office and get a free lunch. And enjoy the dressing down that is the NALSD interview.

Interview Questions

• Design a major cloud service system from scratch. Go.   2 Answers

Google Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The phone interviews were easy and regular PMP questions . There was no technical rounds there
    The on-site interview had algorithms and database questions . Know your complexities and how to derive it.
    Remaining rounds were program management and make sure you know how to chart out a project plan. Keep a plan skeleton handy.
    My SWE round was quite tough .I am yet to hear back on the offer. Most likely I failed due to SWE round

Interview Questions

• which sorting algos are there and their complexities .compare sorting algos and explain how the complexity was derived   Answer Question
    • how do you sort a million integers efficiently   Answer Question

Operations Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Had a referral through a current employee and was passed around through recruiters initially. Had a phone call with the recruiter for the role and then was scheduled a generic phone interview with a random interviewer with no clue on the role I was interviewing for. The interviewer assumed it was a TPM role while it was in Operations actually and started asking random hypothetical questions which were not really connected to the role.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about a time when you resolved a technical challenge between 2 engineers
      2. Tell me about a time when you made the manufacturers do a better job   Answer Question

Hardware Product Quality Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

The overall recruiting process was OK but needs improvement as the hand-offs from one person to another was not seamless. First contact by recruiter during first week of May, then handed off to phone interview coordinator. Phone interview end of May. Handed off to program manager coordinator for scheduling on-site interviews during third week of June. Total of 5 interviews - 2 technical, 2 program management and hiring manager - 45 mins. each. Regret response by phone last day of June. Total process time - 8 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Many questions were hypothetical scenarios and required quick thinking to come up with possible solutions. A piece from a hardware device was given and candidate requested to identify critical characteristics. Be quick to relate experiences from past projects when asked behavioral type questions.   Answer Question

NPO Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

Position in Taipei. After two phone interviews with TPM from different team, feedback came in late and the recruiter called and informed that they will not proceed with my application because I'm not a good fit. There is no feedback sharing about my performance. I asked for my weakness and area to be improved, there is nothing the recruiter can share. They are not allowed to share any feedback to any applicants. Not even a general comment. How can an applicant improve for future job opportunities approach? It's like you are telling your kid you didn't perform well but I can't tell you why. Never experienced the same from other big companies e.g. Apple Amazon Netapp Dell IBM HP and Hyve... kinda surprised me.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in February 2017.

Interview

Applied through employee referral... first call with recruiter was just general screening questions, followed by 2 phone interviews.

The two phone interviews are very dry. The interviewers basically read through a list of pre-defined questions and note down your answers. They're technical, one for system troubleshooting and one for project management. They will not give you any feedbacks or drilldown questions to your answers.

Unfortunately I didn't answer one of the questions too well, but overall, I felt that this interview process is dumb. Why don't they just send me to one of the test centers to test my knowledge instead of sending humans to conduct interviews? There're little to no human interactions whatsoever with the interviewers. They simply read off a list of questions and note the answers regardless of what you said. They do leave some time in the end for you to ask them questions though. I guess that's the only benefit otherwise I don't see any points in these phone interviews.

Interview Questions

• General project management questions. Check out PMP, Six Sigma, and PRINCE2 frameworks.   1 Answer
    • General TCP/IP questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

Brief phone screen that led to on-site interview in the Mountain View office, which consisted of five interviews throughout the entire day (mix between behavioral and technical). Phone screen was with somebody in the role, and consisted of describing how to architect a vague feature that Google currently implements. On-site behavior interviews concerned themselves with how to manage people, and technical interviews covered basic algorithms and structures.

Interview Questions

• How would you manage a team that had conflicting paths on how to proceed?   1 Answer