Google Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2017

3.3

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The first round was with the HR and then with the hiring manager.The phone interview with the hiring manager was basically questions from my resume, hypothetical situations, case studies.Was told during the interview that I was selected for the next round.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in February 2017.

Interview

Applied through employee referral... first call with recruiter was just general screening questions, followed by 2 phone interviews.

The two phone interviews are very dry. The interviewers basically read through a list of pre-defined questions and note down your answers. They're technical, one for system troubleshooting and one for project management. They will not give you any feedbacks or drilldown questions to your answers.

Unfortunately I didn't answer one of the questions too well, but overall, I felt that this interview process is dumb. Why don't they just send me to one of the test centers to test my knowledge instead of sending humans to conduct interviews? There're little to no human interactions whatsoever with the interviewers. They simply read off a list of questions and note the answers regardless of what you said. They do leave some time in the end for you to ask them questions though. I guess that's the only benefit otherwise I don't see any points in these phone interviews.

Interview Questions

• General project management questions. Check out PMP, Six Sigma, and PRINCE2 frameworks.   Answer Question
    • General TCP/IP questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

Brief phone screen that led to on-site interview in the Mountain View office, which consisted of five interviews throughout the entire day (mix between behavioral and technical). Phone screen was with somebody in the role, and consisted of describing how to architect a vague feature that Google currently implements. On-site behavior interviews concerned themselves with how to manage people, and technical interviews covered basic algorithms and structures.

Interview Questions

• How would you manage a team that had conflicting paths on how to proceed?   Answer Question

User Experience Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The recruiting calls were typical, the phone screening with a team member was actively combative, questioning the veracity of skills and projects listed. I work at an equally high-profile, high-paying competitor, was not looking for a new job and have never had any reason to lie on my resume. Only one other interview has ever put me off a company as much as that call did.

Interview Questions

• Rank your the proficiency in each skill you listed and when you last used it during a fulltime job.   2 Answers

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google in November 2016.

Interview

Submitted resume through Google. I received an email 3 days later asking for my availability. Set up phone screening interview for the following week with a recruiter. The recruiter gave me a call on time and was very pleasant to talk to. We talked about my background and she asked several HR type questions. She then asked several technical questions that I was not prepared for. I was expecting a typical program management style interview. She explained that the hiring manager was looking for someone with very specific technical expertise and we agreed that this position would not be a great fit. She recommended another TPM position, however, it was not in the region I live and I declined more information. I was disappointed that the level of expertise expected during the interview did not match what was stated on the job description.

Interview Questions

• Name 5 fiber optic connector types.   1 Answer
    • What is the acceptable level of signal loss for a 1550nm fiber optic cable.   1 Answer
    • What is a simple device used in DWDM circuits to "cool" a signal.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Long, unfortunately due to my busy schedule. It seems they would have sped up the process for someone who wanted it. Two phone interviews and then flown out to Mountain View for five interviews in a row. Some technical in nature, some not. They interviewers were amazing, but my recruiter was on vacation the day of my interviews and I wasn't let in to the building on time to start.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Pre-screening with recruiter, potentially to be followed with phone and on-site interviews.
    The recruiter was highly unprofessional since the very beginning. Communication was inconsistent and sporadic, feedback non-existent. After an initial response asking me for times to schedule an in-person interview, I got no follow-up response, despite my periodic attempt to reach out via email, until I got a final template-based denial email.

It is concerning that a company like Google manages its screening and hiring process this way, using external and highly unprofessional recruiters to select its talent. Is this a sign that the venerated tech giant has already passed its peak, and is now on its way to an inescapable decline? Maybe my expectations were too high, but in the end, I might have just dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• Run of the mill questions with the recruiter, nothing challenging or different from the standard superficial questions you'd be asked elsewhere.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I was flown out onsite to Mountain View. No phone screen. My resume was a perfect match for the job and they didnt want to lose me as i was looking for jobs.
    It was a full day of interviews - 5 rounds + lunch.
    Great experience
    I was like a kid in a toy store

Interview Questions

• All the general PM questions - How do you manage a project? How do you manage a slip? when to escalate? how do you get through a tough delay?
      All possible general PM questions and variations. They also wanted me to give examples from my experience on how I managed situations
      Answer Question
    • Describe and whiteboard a continuous deployment system.
      Describe and whiteboard a continuous build system.
      Answer Question
    • How would you write code for something you knew nothing about?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Was Referred by a friend. One recruiter call followed by a phone interview with a TPM. 5 onsite interviews. Recruiter was very helpful and gave updates regularly. Results came only after a month after all the committees had approved

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google in June 2016.

Interview

Multiple phone interviews with onsite multi contact interviews. Heavy concentration on ensuring that candidates are a good fit for the culture. Multi contact interviews were a full day with some information from one meeting needed for the next. Attention to detail required to properly relay the information.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project where you worked with difficult clients and how you overcame the challenges   Answer Question