Google Recruiter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Recruiter Interview Questions

Updated Jun 5, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Detroit, MI) in June 2017.

Interview

I received a call from one of their recruiters to schedule a phone interview/screen with him. During the call, he was clearly reading from a script. After I provided an answer, he said nothing and went right to the next question. After he asked the last question, he read a script of what to expect with next steps and thanked me and said goodbye. Not impressed.

Technical Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google in May 2017.

Interview

A renown company, but take with a grain of salt. My impression was that they're looking for Pam from "The Office," not Donna from "Suits." I recommend watching both of these shows if you haven't already....and read on!

I had a good friend who works at Google refer me > proceeded to a 45 minute call with a recruiter > skipped the next round (would have been a 45 minute call with potential hiring manager) > proceeded straight to a 5 hour onsite wherein I met with 6 individuals.

I spent several months researching Google, the hiring process and connecting with several senior- level employees of the company to garner an inside perspective.

I dedicated several hours a week to practicing behavioral-style interview questions, and created a Google Doc spanning 30 pages of my answers, anecdotes, etc.

I have an Ivy League degree and ~5 years of recruiting experience (the job I applied to called for 2 years of experience) both in house and at an agency. I have excellent communication skills, am able to improvise and speak extemporaneously on a variety of topics, and typically do very well in interviews of all types. I often get compliments on my poise, leadership ability and innate intellectual curiosity. That said, I took special note to avoid overselling myself and practice humility during the interviews.

I was very satisfied with my performance during onsite interviews, as I felt a connection with everyone and repeatedly received positive affirmations to my responses such as "wow, great answer!" and "great stuff!" At no point did anything feel tense, awkward or contrived. I even asked one interviewer off the record if they could foresee any cultural misalignment since I'm from the opposite coast, and they stated that I seemed like a great fit.

Everything went extremely well, I got a tour, stayed for dinner and I started looking for housing and planning my start date.

However, 5 days later I was shocked to learn that not only did I not receive an offer, but I would be provided zero feedback.

What I can surmise from my experience is that Google is looking for one thing and one thing only (at least for non-technical roles): CULTURE FIT.

Contrary to popular opinion they're not obsessed with hiring the most intelligent people (as I assessed from the caliber of those interviewing me) nor those with the best pedigree (many did not attend top schools), the most accomplished (my experience trumped some existing recruiter's) nor even the most competent (no offense, but my recruiting coordinator had typos and missing documents in my instructional emails).

It was my personal experience that despite claims to scour for diversity of thought and those with leadership ability, the interview process selects for a very specific optimistic naïveté/acquiescing personality type which you either have or you don't. Someone who will not rock the boat TOO much. The sort of individual whom you could conceivably find to be boring, annoying, artificially nice and a "push over" if you're not of the same mind. If you've ever been told you're "confident," "independent," or "free-spirited," no matter how collaborative and well mannered, unfortunately you are probably not a fit for Google. Think Pam from "The Office" versus Donna from "Suits."

This is great news for you if you possess the correct disposition and want to work at Google, as they are doubtless a great company and would probably like to hire you - don't worry about being the smartest or knowing how to do the specific job...I'm serious!

However, if you don't, your confidence and/or strong personality will likely be met with distrust, and there is really not much you can do to conceal it, nor should you! I'd save yourself the prep work and find a better fit : )

Interview Questions

• Design a program for Google.   1 Answer
    • What are the benefits of diverse teams?   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

fair / hard - there were multiple checks and balances to ensure it was a great fit for the team and role, but also for the broader organization. I was able to ask clarifying questions and because of it my interviews felt like they took a more organic path than interviews I've had with other companies.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

It was a lengthy process that eliminates people who can not think logistically or rationally for coordinating. Recruiting is under their People Ops department along with Sourcing. This was a very positive experience even though hired as a contract employee.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Sunnyvale, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was recruited via LinkedIn for a Technical Recruiter (FTE) position onsite in Sunnyvale. 1st step was an initial "phone-screen" with the recruiter which was very informal, getting to know me and what my current position entails.
    I was notified 2 days later that I would be moving to on-site interviews.
    The onsite interview was pretty difficult. I met with 6 different interviewers- it was 4 hours long. The interviews highly emphasized questions surrounding leadership ability and how you can impact higher level people- I would highly recommend being prepared to answer these types of questions.
    I then received an email about a week later asking to chat with the recruiter for a status update- I was notified that they would be moving forward with other more qualified candidates.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to utilize your leadership skills to solve a work related problem.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you had to influence a decision maker. What was the process for that? What were the results?   Answer Question
    • What are the top 3 skills that a great recruiter portrays?   Answer Question
    • You are in charge of creating a training and development program at Google... How would you set this up? What would you create? How would you evaluate if your program was successful?   Answer Question
    • If you had to create a 90 day plan go a new Googler, what would that look like?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process took less than two weeks. First phone interview, Onsite and Google hangout with Global Lead. Overall experience was very positive. They question to evaluate how good is your problem solving skills. Give examples to support your answers. Be ready to share any leadership experience you had in past.

Senior Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me in May 2016 for a recruiting position within a new team at Google. I've interviewed for dozens of companies in the Bay Area over the last 7ish years and, I hate to say this, but I've never been so unimpressed with a recruiting process. Between the recruiter reaching out to me and setting up the first interview, over a month had passed.

I completed one phone screen with an incredibly unenthusiastic hiring manager and another member of the team where it became evident that neither had read my resume nor could really do a good job of convincing me how this role would impact the business. The lack of energy was, in my opinion, the most concerning part - the interviewers made it seem like it was a chore to talk to me. And they had reached out to me!

Nonetheless, I (somehow) passed that interview and was moved to a final onsite interview - two weeks later (even though I stressed I had a hard deadline with other offers) with the same hiring manager and another colleague who was managing a similar team. I was probed into questions around how I would lead training and development programs (which had nothing to do with this position), times that I have been challenged by my hiring managers, how I stay on top of balancing multiple candidates, etc. The questions kept digging and digging seeming to look for one specific answer (which according to Laszlo's book is *not* the way that Google seeks to interview people).

I left extremely unimpressed.

Interview Questions

• What resources would you lean on to build an orientation program for your team of recruiters?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you've disagreed with a hiring manager about a candidate and how you resolved that.   Answer Question

Contract Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The interview process was a phone call with recruiter for thirty minutes, but did not get an offer. He asked me a handful of questions, mostly about my experience and what I knew about the company as a whole.

Interview Questions

• What have you heard about google recently in the news?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

I was interviewing for a role based in the NY office, the recruiter was located in Texas. He cancelled our original interview the morning of the interview (our interview was scheduled for the morning); it was rescheduled for 6 days later. When we spoke it literally lasted 3 minutes! He asked me the following questions: 1) Q - Where are you located? A - In New York (which should have been obvious from my resume...). 2) Q - This position is based out of California. Are you okay with relocating to California? A - Not at this time. He then said he would keep my resume on file for future opportunities.

After waiting 12 days for a first round interview I would have expected more from the recruiter, especially a recruiter from Google. He could have asked over email if I was interested in relocating, at which point I would have told him 'no.' Instead, I moved things around on my calendar and prepped for an interview that took all of 3 minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Pretty difficult. Asked a lot of scenario based questions. Once answered, they gave a lot of follow up questions to see how you think and to test your problem solving skills.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about to find the top 5 Java Developers in a certain area.   Answer Question