Google SRE Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 3, 2017

3.5

21 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Kirkland, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Two phone interviews, one onsite. First recruiter was great, second recruiter always called 5-10 minutes late if they called at all. This drew the process out much longer than necessary. Onsite was scheduled in a phone room (roughly 5x5 with two chairs and a TV) so no whiteboard board until they rolled in a temporary one halfway through the day. Interviewers were great except for one, who did not review my application prior to the interview. That one asked me a question I already had on a phone interview, after letting them know, they asked a question about web development; I am a systems engineer. I was asked to come in for a second round of onsite interviews. I did not accept.

Interview Questions

• Depth fist search, maps, recursion, time complexity.   1 Answer

SRE Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Think of a long, drawn out "Apprentice" process, put into play by people who think they know more about how to hire than they really do. Add in a soupcon of massive ego, a Silicon Valley flare, a "hey, we are Google, so we must be smart/know what we are doing" ... and yes, this is what you have. The one positive I can point out from this entire process is that I got a water bottle from it. Not even a good one.

Interview Questions

• Basic linux internals: what does SIGTERM do vs SIGKILL. What is an inode. What factors go into user load. Here is a system we built and it has this random problem. Diagnose/fix it.   2 Answers

SRE Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Self assessment about various skills, ranging from Networking to programming languages and project & people management. You need to rate yourself from 0 (no experience) to 10 (you wrote a book)
    Then, you have questions about the same topic, various levels of difficulties

Interview Questions

• Generic, but rather advanced questions about Linux, networking, Data structure, programming languages, etc ...   Answer Question

SRE Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview included several conversations with recruiters, a technical phone screen and a management phone screen. Google follows a pretty interesting mode of asking you some general questions and then making you "prove it" by answering very specific questions (or asking you to code in a Google Doc)

If you search for software interviewing questions, you'll likely find questions to guide you towards the types of things you will be asked, and you might get lucky and find the exact question. If you understand software design and have a good grasp on algorithms and data structures, you should be fine.

Interview Questions

• Specific questions are protected by confidentiality agreement, but they ask questions around how to design specific software components or solve technical problems. There is lots of that kind of information online.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Was contacted by one recruiter to get information from me which they then sent to another recruiter in my area. Did a little back and forth with that recruiter, then scheduled the phone screen interview. Recruiter was helpful and answered any questions I had. They provided many links of topics I should know for the phone screen. Phone screen was on time, however it was quite obvious that they matched a phone screen interviewer who did not use the language I used (or did a hell of a job pretending they had no idea what pointers were), which was disappointing. If you make it past this round, you will have an on site interview. However, I was not lucky enough to have this opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Non-disclosure agreement. That being said, for an unexpected question, I was asked about a specific part of the language I was interviewing with that had no connection with any part of a normal CS interview I have ever had.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager - SRE Interview

Application

I interviewed at Google in August 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a Google recruiter and was asked to rank myself on various topics such as programming languages, Linux, and Networking. I was then asked some relatively simple questions on the areas I ranked myself highest.
    This was followed by 3 additional phone interviews, 2 on technical topics including programming problems using Google Docs, and 1 on project management.
    The whole phone process took about 2 months. After that I was flown out to Mountain View for a day of 5 interviews.
    I cannot disclose the questions but I can say that they did not include any Fermi type problems and I felt the questions were very fair and reflected the TPM position I was interviewing for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Difference between fork and exec. Give examples. What's the difference between soft link and hard link.

Technical Program Manager - SRE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

Smooth and friendly. Recruiting was helpful and provided guidance on what areas each of my 6 interviews would cover - basically, felt like I was walking into an open book test - which usually happen to be more difficult than easy.

Interview Questions

• Several technical interviews -- felt to me like they were unrelated to what I would eventually be doing on the job.   1 Answer
    • Talk about one of the larger projects you worked on.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

Phone screen followed by onsite interview. I was asked "what is an RPC" call, I sited a form of IPC followed by a number of examples. I thought I answered was sufficient, they were looking for something outside of the client/server model specific to Java RPC stub calls and such. I thought this was odd given that Java development wasn't my forte.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't any question that was overly difficult, they were looking for a developer mostly and I just wasn't at that level, it's not clear how they separate SRE from DevOps to Developer.   Answer Question

SRE Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in January 2012.

Interview

Phone interview. Generic coding questions (expect algorithms and data structures - graphs, encoding, dynamic programming). But phone interviews are usually simple because of the length and format constraint.
    Onsite interview (5 sessions).