Google Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2017

3.5

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview:
    The Interviewer was late for 20 mins... Ask nothing on my resume.
    Tow questions:
    1) A string consists of ‘0’, ‘1’ and '?'. The question mark can be either '0' or '1'. Find all possible combinations for a string.
    2) Give you a text file, remove duplicated lines.
        Follow up: If the file is very large, general hash map takes too much spaces, come up with a better solution.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Took an online quiz that was relatively simple. Then another that was harder.

Then there were two phone interviews about two questions each.

Went to Google Mountain View in November and had four interviews. Wasn't too easy.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Had two on-campus interviews and one follow-up phone interview used as "another data point." On campus interviews went okay, I was able to do the problems but it took me a little longer than I should have needed. The follow-up interview went well in my opinion but probably not well enough to compensate for my mediocre performance on the on-campus ones.

Interview Questions

• Given two lists A and B containing sorted non-unique integers, return the elements in A but not B and the elements in B but not A.   2 Answers
    • Make a data structure for adding numbers, removing numbers, and returning the median. Give the O(n) time of each operation.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

There are two phone interview for intern application, and the questions are about data structure and algorithm. And every interview last 45 min, the interviewer will ask you to write code on google doc. And he will describe the problems to you, you should write code on google doc.
    Firstly, the interviewer ask you about the projects in you resume, and you should answer his questions about your project, like how did you implement this project and why did you choose this algorithm to do you project.
    And then they would ask you some algorithm problems and data structure questions.
    Finally, if you have time, you could ask them some questions about their work and their group.

Interview Questions

• How to implement union find?
      longest palindrome
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Boston, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

It is an OA and Survey. People should do the OA first and then do the survey. The OA contains two problems. The first one is easy to answer and the second one is very long and hard to understand. You shoud use DFS to answer the second question.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in January 2017.

Interview

First round phone interview after the online OA, I got two questions for the phone interview and they are easier than I expected, all easy level questions in leetcode. However, I have a bug for the second question and didn't find it by my own. Got rejected after a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Madison, WI) in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter will setup a time where you can take the Snapshot Survey (~20min) and coding sample (1 hour) over a 2 week period. If they like that response, they will setup 2 phone call interviews and then if they like those, they will invite you on site.

Interview Questions

• I am unable to share the questions from the coding sample.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google in January 2017.

Interview

3 rounds. Where 1st round is an exam. Second round call. Third round call. Nice interesting questions were asked. Algorithms were asked. I had to write two codes in 45 mins. A good expxerience.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Total process took almost 2 months. One telephonic, followed by the onsite (5 interviews). During this process 5 times recruiters changed. Each time they told me different thing about the reference. Last one said no reference was needed till I'm getting an offer. I took preparation for 1+ month (maths, algorithm, data structures, solving problems from leetcode, glassdoor, reading papers on GFS,map reduce and many more). Interview questions were difficult (as expected from Google) but I solved all of them reasonably fast (from my perspective). 10 days after the interview recruiter told me my data structure/algorithm went well but there were some problem in the coding part of the interview, due to that I was rejected by hiring committee and asked me to reapply in 12 months. This feedback is mostly useless as I code every day at work which are reviewed by peers and I practiced a lot for this interview as well. So I don't know what went wrong in coding part. I don't know if this much time investment worth it or not. I'll probably not reapply in Google.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA, but they were on Graph/DP/String manipulation/Bit manipulation/Encoding-decoding and some design problems.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Guys,
        I am highly demotivated with what happened. I got a call from Google recruiter and after going through profile and initial screening 4-5 question (which was all correct as per recruiter himself), he was highly positive about the processing and so was I and told me that he is going to process the profile to hiring manager for next round.
      Out of nowhere, I received a call from the same recruiter, that they are not moving further ahead.

Recruiter manager has moved with different candidate? My resume failed? I am highly demotivated