Google Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 19, 2017
7,669 Interview Reviews

3.4

Senior Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

This was my 2nd loop at Google in the past few years. Much like the first loop, this loop was a total waste of time. They fooled me twice, this one is on me. 3rd time ain't gonna happen.

Google reached out to my via LinkedIn to discuss Program Management opportunities. I spoke with the recruiter and told her that I'm only interested in Program Management positions, NOT TPM positions (which at Google are basically engineers - learned that lesson the first time I looped there). I have no desire to be a Google TPM, nor do I have the skill sets. I was explicitly clear about this. I was assured that I would be looping for a Program Management position, not a TPM. So I moved forward with the loop. For a PM. Not a TPM. Have I made that point clear yet?

The first interviewer started asking me how to troubleshoot failed servers. Huh? Nothing on my resume would give anyone the slightest idea that I ever spent time troubleshooting servers. He also told me that in this position I'm expected to be able to engineer at the same level as an engineer 2 levels below me. I was confused, but thought it was just a misunderstanding….so I proceeded. I'm a PM. Not interviewing for a TPM position. Never have I been an engineer. So I answered the questions the best I could (insulting his intelligence in the process) and kept a positive attitude.

The next interview was basic leadership questions. It was a great 45 minute interview, I was feeling good. He was friendly, we had a great conversation. Alright, let's roll!

The lunch interview isn't an interview, you just go to lunch with someone doing the job you're interviewing for and they try and sell you on Google. "Look how cool we are!" It was interesting that my lunch interview was set up with a TPM however, not a PM. Hmmm. Red flags continue to raise. But I got a free lunch out of it and their office was cool. There are worse ways to spend 45 mins - case in point, the next interview.

The interview after lunch was a train wreck. Train. Wreck. Or dumpster fire, whatever you prefer. It was the NALSD interview (look it up online, I would say Google it but I don't like them right now). I expected this interview to be a challenge going into the loop, but it was much much worse than I expected. Really felt like the purpose of this 45 min firing squad of 1 was to satisfy something missing from the interviewers life. He was as personable as a boat anchor, and precision questioned everything that left my lips. This interview experience couldn't possibly get worse at this point.

It got worse. The 4th interview is where the wheels came off. She was asking me technical questions, nothing to do with Program Management. 30 minutes into the interview I asked her if I was looping for a TPM position or a PM position. She told me it was for a TPM position. Yep, the same position I told them I wasn't interested in. I smiled and politely told her that we were wasting each others time at this point, we had a pleasant 15 minute chat until the final interview. She handled the situation well.

The last interview was a standard PM interview. He did confirm with me that I was looping for a TPM position however. He was super nice, apologized for the misunderstanding, and conducted the interview.

I called the recruiter and sent him an email immediately after the loop. He said he'd look into the misunderstanding, but I never heard back from him about it until the final rejection phone call.

Overall the people on the loop were pleasant (aside from the guy performing the NALSD interview, but I believe they are jerks by design…or he wasn't held enough as a child). The amazing thing is it took them 1.5 weeks to get back to me with a rejection. Given that I basically shut down the 4th interviewer, sent the recruiter an email of disgust afterwards, I would have thought they could have sent me the rejection by the time I was cozy in bed that night. Guess there was a lot of latency in their rejection process.

Anyway, that was my experience. I will never interview with them again (I'm sure the feeling is mutual). I strongly suggest if you are not an Engineer that you do not loop with them for a PM position…unless you just wanted to go to get a tour of their office and get a free lunch. And enjoy the dressing down that is the NALSD interview.

Interview Questions

• Design a major cloud service system from scratch. Go.   2 Answers

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in October 2017.

Interview

So I applied online and was sent an e-mail two weeks later to complete a coding challenge. I completed the coding challenge and was later forwarded to a recruiter who helped schedule two phone interviews back to back. Just did two phone interviews. Waiting to hear back, will update if I get an offer otherwise no offer.

Interview Questions

• NOT AN NDA(People trying to think they are hot sht by saying they signed NDA) will not disclose due to request.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in January 2013.

Interview

Had about 6 interviews, started with HR than manager, later peers and finally my manager's manager.
    Only interviews no tests, no "frightening google question" some over the phone and on google talk as they were abroad.

Interview Questions

• Size of the market in my origin country for SMB customers   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The entire process was well structured. The recruiters made it feel like white glove service. For the final on-site round, there was a last minute switch for my first interview, and that threw off the scheduling so that I had less time with my first interviewer. However, all else went smoothly.

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

After the initial phone screen, which involved coding a few solutions in a shared document, they flew me to Mountain View. It was five whiteboard coding sessions, 45 minutes each, plus a lunch with a different employee.

Interview Questions

• Can't go until specifics, but they all started out with only a vague problem statement, you really have to ask a lot of questions to figure out what is expected.   1 Answer

Operations Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Council Bluffs, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Council Bluffs, IA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online on googles site and was contacted by a recruiter. The recruiter reviewed my overall experience. They setup a phone interview to dive deeper into my experience. I flew out to Iowa and was interviewed by roughly 6 people and also spent some time eating lunch with fellow operations Engineers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you would build a DHCP server   1 Answer
    • From the moment you turn a Linux box on to command prompt tell me as much as you can about how it boots.   1 Answer
    • Have you ever compiled a Kernel before   1 Answer
    • Imagine you just SSHd to a server and know nothing about it. What commands would you use to learn more about the Linux box and tell me what each command does?   1 Answer
    • you have 3 engineers and you need to install 3000 spread out over 3 different locations. Your boss has given you one week. Is this a reasonable time to complete this task. Assume all boxes are already ready to be worked on and no coordination is required you can just walk up to the server and pull it. Walk me through how you answer this question.   1 Answer
    • How would you get status on a project being worked on   1 Answer
    • Explain the TCP 3-way handshake   1 Answer
    • Tell me what achievement in life means the most to you.   1 Answer
    • What is the difference between a packet, segment, and a frame   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

applied online, online test, couple of phone interviews , onsite with 4 engineers and a systems design interview. Interview was really tough I had to postpone a couple of times to get prepare for it.

Technical Writer Interview

Interview

The best way to get a job at Google is not to have a job because getting a job at Google is a full-time job. You can expect to need to jump through as many as six hoops before you get the job with a very high probability of failure at most of them. The entire process can take 4 to 5 months, so also make sure that you have a sizeable nest egg tucked away. You will have to submit work samples of course, but you will also need to write things just for Google and it will take you a good amount of time to do so. I mention this so that you can consider upfront if it is a good use of your time. A lot of the questions have already been posted. Make sure you have the answers to common questions memorized so that you can recite them by rote, thereby convincing them that you are "technical."

Interview Questions

• everything that happens when you type something into a web page   Answer Question

Customer Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google in July 2017.

Interview

Four sets of interviews.

First: Technical, lots of cloud technology questions, architecture questions, deep diving into what you know vs what you don't when it comes to Google Cloud Platform.

Second: Leadership questions. How would you react to X situation? Tell me about a time when X happened and how did you handle such?

Third: Googly-ness interview. Basically, a personality test to see if you are a good fit for Google. Lots of questions about prioritizing tasks and organizing your daily workload.

Fourth: Two presentations. You can choose between two fictitious scenarios:

Scenario 1: Web Serving: Autocomplete
    Scenario 2: Big Data: Aggregating and Analyze Doubleclick Data

Deliver a recommendation & working demo for a Google Cloud Platform based Solution.

Second presentation can be on anything you prefer. Literally.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage your time? What would you do if all of your customers called you at once? How would you prioritize who is put at the front of the list and who is last? After prioritizing customers, how often would you re-evaluate your prioritization?   Answer Question
    • Leadership questions. Lots of theoretical questions such as, have you ever been in a situation where X happened and how did you handle such? Give an example of a time where you made a decision and it turned out badly, how would you handle it differently? What do you like most about your current/previous job? What did you like least?   Answer Question
    • Describe how you would build an application in the cloud vs in a private data center.   Answer Question
    • In the presentations, the last portion of the interviews, you need to provide a working demo and defend it against a group of individuals who will question you on it. It's ok to say I don't know, do not make things up because they will immediately fail you based on such. You are much better off saying you need to research and get back to them or you need to engage X to help you with that as you want to provide the proper answers. It's basically role playing. I did learn if you don't have a working demo or one they approve of, the interview is pretty much over.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by someone who worked with Google about interviewing. The first few conversations were by phone and email, until I got to a technical phone interview. About 2 days after this I was invited to come onsite (my second onsite interview as I had interviewed about a year prior)

Interview Questions

• (on the phone screen, my code was written on a Google Doc that was setup by the interviewer) Design a simple algorithm for a room cleaning robot, and ask as many questions as you need.   1 Answer
    • (on the phone screen, my code was written on a Google Doc that was setup by the interviewer) Write an algorithm that returns every possible painted fence with "x number of posts" with the following conditions, only white and black paints are available and more than 2 fence posts of the same color can appear in a row. Once this was completed I was then asked to generalize this algorithm to work with "k number of colors" and a max run of "n of the same color".   1 Answer
    • (onsite) Implement multiplication without using the multiplication operator   1 Answer
    • (onsite) Implement AI for the game Battleship   1 Answer