Google Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3,781 Interview Reviews

3.4

3,781 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Very structured. In most companies, something to remember is that they go deep, during the interview, into the projects you mention in your CV. So, technical questions are asked as you describe one of your projects

Interview Questions

• For how long do you plan to say in USA   1 Answer

Customer Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google in July 2017.

Interview

Four sets of interviews.

First: Technical, lots of cloud technology questions, architecture questions, deep diving into what you know vs what you don't when it comes to Google Cloud Platform.

Second: Leadership questions. How would you react to X situation? Tell me about a time when X happened and how did you handle such?

Third: Googly-ness interview. Basically, a personality test to see if you are a good fit for Google. Lots of questions about prioritizing tasks and organizing your daily workload.

Fourth: Two presentations. You can choose between two fictitious scenarios:

Scenario 1: Web Serving: Autocomplete
    Scenario 2: Big Data: Aggregating and Analyze Doubleclick Data

Deliver a recommendation & working demo for a Google Cloud Platform based Solution.

Second presentation can be on anything you prefer. Literally.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage your time? What would you do if all of your customers called you at once? How would you prioritize who is put at the front of the list and who is last? After prioritizing customers, how often would you re-evaluate your prioritization?   Answer Question
    • Leadership questions. Lots of theoretical questions such as, have you ever been in a situation where X happened and how did you handle such? Give an example of a time where you made a decision and it turned out badly, how would you handle it differently? What do you like most about your current/previous job? What did you like least?   Answer Question
    • Describe how you would build an application in the cloud vs in a private data center.   Answer Question
    • In the presentations, the last portion of the interviews, you need to provide a working demo and defend it against a group of individuals who will question you on it. It's ok to say I don't know, do not make things up because they will immediately fail you based on such. You are much better off saying you need to research and get back to them or you need to engage X to help you with that as you want to provide the proper answers. It's basically role playing. I did learn if you don't have a working demo or one they approve of, the interview is pretty much over.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Phone interview first level with some google employee. If was on time and used online programming platform to solve problem and coding. First it was screening with the recruiter followed with a 1 hr phone call setup with google employees

Interview Questions

• Phone interview asked about nodes and link list   2 Answers

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google in July 2017.

Interview

After a very informal interview I was scheduled to a live coding interview using a shared word processor. The interviewer did not connect at the scheduled time so we have to re-schedule some hours later. The coding interview was nothing like the book CTCI or the google youtube demonstration. The interviewer pushed me to start codding right away, did not want me to talk and was not collaborative at all. At the end I came up with an interesting solution for the problem but made many silly mistakes mixing up some variables under the time pressure. The interviewer simple say that it was enough and dismiss me.

Interview Questions

• There were not questions, only the coding challenge. It was a problem related to a board game with particular rules and the state of a piece in the board needed to be checked. There was a dependence on the pieces in neighbors cells and a recursive solution was forbidden.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I went to the onsite interview, which involves solving 5 problems, each taking about 45 minutes. I found the questions to be lopsided for me, as 3 out of the 4 coding questions were about graphs. One of the interviewers arrived 15 minutes late, so he gave me a super easy question so that we could finish on time.

All of the interviewers were nice and friendly. In the end, I could tell I wasn't what they were looking for. They want someone that can take the question and within a few minutes generate a great answer, and confidently walk them through the solution.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Basic graph questions. Do DFS, now do recursive DFS, now do BFS on a grid, now tell me what's the runtime complexity of BFS...

It seems as if host matching is mostly based on whether the host likes you. I've had lots of experience + projects so that may have helped me more than I give credit for.

Frontend Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Chaotic, cold, disorganized, and condescending throughout. Expect to be treated as a pure commodity. To top things off promises of being fully reimbursed for the costs were not honored. If you honor your soul and integrity stay away from Google.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone screening - Scheduled for 45 minutes. 2 questions. 1. Simple array addition, 2. Divide and conquer. Answered both correctly within 25 minutes, Still trying to understand why I was rejected. No reason given!!!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

This was a phone screen after interacting with a recruiter. The recruiter was very accommodating and was able to articulate the vast amount of opportunities at Google. The recruiter was nothing short of excellent, and I would love to pursue an opportunity through them in the future.

Interview Questions

• How would you parse out user-inputted HTML tags from a string?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It went well and the interviewer was nice. The question was not that hard and you have plenty of time to deal with it. The interviewer also asked about your personal projects so be prepared for it.

Interview Questions

• Just common data structure questions   2 Answers